• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reports US$3.5-Million Loss in 1st Quarter 2010

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm scared. Licensing shows for 'broarder audiences' sounds like a good thing, but that doesn't mean unaltered. They could still have name changes and other americanization, which is a bad thing. as for the 8 kids properties, they're likley to be things other licensors are uninterested in, but not neccessarily. Could also be bad, and 12 titles at once for a studio known for butchering... I know there's a chance this'll work, but the odds aren't great...
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
4kids losing more money, what a surprise.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
For the love of God, just sink already. Sink before you butcher a good anime again. I was really scared these losers were going to get Shugo Chara. Thank God I was wrong.
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
On a plus side though, kids'll grow up with horrible dubbing, and by the time they reach their teens, they'll look up their shows on the Internet/Wikipedia, and discover the unedited Japanese dialogue.

Thus bringing in a new generation of anime fans. Wink
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
The Anagelic One wrote:
On a plus side though, kids'll grow up with horrible dubbing, and by the time they reach their teens, they'll look up their shows on the Internet/Wikipedia, and discover the unedited Japanese dialogue.

That's how I got here! Desperately seeking uncut Sailor Moon! Ah, to be young again...
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
For the love of God, just sink already. Sink before you butcher a good anime again. I was really scared these losers were going to get Shugo Chara. Thank God I was wrong.

Don't mean to spoil your relief, but 4Kids has yet to announce what these other properties are.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Huh, so they're finally going to use the 4Sight label? That will prove to be interesting, at the very least.

While I used to vilify 4Kids as much as the next person, I haven't done so in a few years. Licensing fewer properties in general does attribute to that, but to he honest, when it's a show that is undoubtedly geared towards children in North America, their localization hasn't been nearly as bad as some may suggest.

So when I hear that they've acquired 12 properties for licensing, my ears perk up. We know at least one title, and DB Kai wouldn't count in this case.

So long as editing is minimal (I've come to not overreact to a few name changes, edited OP & removal of ED, background music replacement [despite it being totally unnecessary] and slight visual editing depending on the circumstances), everything should be fine. The four potential 4Sight titles are a potential concern, but we'll see how that turns out soon enough.

I'm actually quite interested in how this will all turn out.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
The Anagelic One wrote:

Or they ditch anime all together.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Agreed, as much as I don't want people to lose their jobs. They have ruined every series they licensed and absolutely ruined One Piece. Luckily Funimation was able to save the the series, but because the series was so butchered, Funimation almost wasn't able to fix the series.

For the sake of anime, just close 4kids. The company has ruined enough anime for one life time and has practically little or none redeeming qualities at all.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
This is kindof exciting actually There's just so many ways this could turn out.
I think I'm curious about the 4Sight label the most, personally.

Nothing left to do now except just wait for June to come to see what they've got for us I guess.
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Fear my ignorance! But what shows did 4kids ruin besides One Piece? Isn't bringing in more anime to TV a good thing? Anime needs more exposure, and the absolute best way is to air it on TV, edited or not. That is how I got into anime, after all-By watching chopped up episodes of DBZ and Pokemon on TV. (Although Trigun on DVD was the tipping point into full blown anime fandom...)
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
Fear my ignorance! But what shows did 4kids ruin besides One Piece?

One Piece got the worst dubs/edits, no doubt about that Anime hyper

but uh...Tokyo Mew Mew got it pretty bad too I think (atleast to me)
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Toei forced most of those edits to One Piece. 4Kids wasn't totally at fault.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
Fear my ignorance! But what shows did 4kids ruin besides One Piece? Isn't bringing in more anime to TV a good thing? Anime needs more exposure, and the absolute best way is to air it on TV, edited or not. That is how I got into anime, after all-By watching chopped up episodes of DBZ and Pokemon on TV. (Although Trigun on DVD was the tipping point into full blown anime fandom...)

Tokyo Mew Mew, One Piece, Digimon, Digimon 02, Digimon Tamers, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, DoReMi, SonicX and Shaman King (though this one wasn't edit nearly as much...wonder why...)

No, bringing shitty edited anime on TV is not a good thing. It makes anime look like crap. Had I seen the 4kids Digimon when I was a kid, I could have dismissed all anime as shit.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Y'know, citing Toonami (rest in peace) as an inspiration can't be a bad thing. Anime has needed more exposure on TV since Toonami was excised from CN's line-up, and I think that having more of it for kids to access will eventually lead to the creation of a new generation of anime fans.

I mean, think about it for a second. I'm a huge anime fan, and I actively look for the most obscure and cutting-edge stuff I can find today. But I wouldn't be doing that if it weren't for the edited shows that were on Toonami back in the day. Despite how much it makes hardcore fans cringe, sometimes editing anime to make it more accessible to kids can be beneficial for the industry as a whole.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4