• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara!!, Vampire Knight, Eden of the East, More Licensed in U.K.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Aww. Wonder when we'll be getting Durarara... Surely we will, right?
Shiro_Shishi

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Wait,Funimation DIDN'T get Durarara!! ?

*darthvadernoo* Colour me surprised.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Aww. Wonder when we'll be getting Durarara... Surely we will, right?

I would sure hope so. I would hope that Funi already has it and are gonna announce at a later date. They would be fools to pass over that since it's got quite the following.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see some UK release news, as we only tend to get scraps from America's table..!

Durarara is something i'm definitely buying. While I never got into Baccano I've really enjoyed this show.

Eden of the East? UK Blu-ray? Gimme gimme gimme!!!
I hope they're going to release the movies too...!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a bit unusually for Great Britain to get a title before N.A.? Even though Durarara simulcasted on CR which is usually the kiss of death for such a show getting picked up by Funi, it wouldn't shock me if it proves to be the exception to the rule.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Someone, I don't care who, but for the love of all that is holy someone PLEASE bring DRRR to the States on DVD!!!

For once, I don't care anymore if it's dubbed or has subtitles! I want it, dammit!!!!
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Even though Durarara simulcasted on CR which is usually the kiss of death for such a show getting picked up by Funi, it wouldn't shock me if it proves to be the exception to the rule.

If you ask me, there's not that much at stake here. I'm glad that at least one of them is interested in releasing sub-only DVDs, because, let's face it, they can't produce dubs. Here also hoping Durarara!! will get a BD release.

Oh, it's so unfair to see the UK getting titles not yet licensed in the US.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Oh, it's so unfair to see the UK getting titles not yet licensed in the US.
Love the sarcasm Smile

Anyway, it's nice to see that the UK/European market can still do some stuff on its own and isn't completely dependent on us here in the States.

So Bandai in Europe is doing well then (licensing a lot of titles, etc)? That's good. I'm worried that they're not going to be around much longer here.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering about Durarara!!, the general opinion is that Aniplex US holds the license and will be releasing a sub-only set in the US. This is how Beez have it. They sub-licensed from them. They also confirmed the US release will be sub-only.
As for a Blu-ray release of the series, it's being released in Japan as DVD-only, so no Blu-ray set unless on gets released WAY down the line in Japan.
So this Durarara!! news is just another case of a UK company 'spilling the beans' before the US license holders makes an announcement, which I imagine will be soon now.
Mads0

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Drrr liscensed? Yes!!
Liscensed in the UK?! Oh god yes!
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
For those wondering about Durarara!!, the general opinion is that Aniplex US holds the license and will be releasing a sub-only set in the US. This is how Beez have it. They sub-licensed from them. They also confirmed the US release will be sub-only.
As for a Blu-ray release of the series, it's being released in Japan as DVD-only, so no Blu-ray set unless on gets released WAY down the line in Japan.
So this Durarara!! news is just another case of a UK company 'spilling the beans' before the US license holders makes an announcement, which I imagine will be soon now.

Quote:
Durarara!! will be the first title that Beez will be releasing with English subtitles only. The company revealed that it has one more subtitle-only release in the works, and will consider a future dub release for those titles if one becomes available.

The only thing this article is telling me is that Durarara was licensed in the U.K., they're releasing it sub only, and if a dub is available, they'll release that version too. I don't see anything about U.S. releases being mentioned.

That being said, IF the aniplex thing is true, though, I hope they don't repeat what they did with the Gurren Lagann movies. At least make your DVDs available on other sites people are comfortable working with.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Considering Aniplex's cozy relationship with Bandai, it doesn't surprise me too much that their UK division got DRRR!!, nor would it surprise me too much if BEI got it in the US (though I rather FUNi does for "continuity" sake). What really surprises me is that it's just sub-only, since it would seem like the show's popular enough to warrant a dub. If BEI gets it here, I definitely hope they would consider it, even though I would so buy it anyway (then again, I imagine the amount of dialouge might make costs higher than usual).

All of this said, I wonder how good Bandai's chances are at getting KnK and Bakemonogatari on both sides of the Atlantic...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Count

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Man if I could get a hold of Solid State Society on Blu Ray I would be very happy.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

All of this said, I wonder how good Bandai's chances are at getting KnK and Bakemonogatari on both sides of the Atlantic...

Bakemonogatari is a Kodansha title (at least, they hold the international rights for it) and usually FUNimation releases those.

I say "usually" in italics because it was on Crunchyroll if I recall, and that may mean they passed on it...or not.

The general consensus seems to be that Aniplex USA has Durarara, because a Twitter feed said that "the US release would be subtitled only as well". Dub fans are going to be upset if this is indeed true, especially since it's by the same creator as Baccano and one would expect FUNimation to get it. However, they may have passed on it due to it being on Crunchyroll or because Aniplex USA has the license already.

I would just say "wait and see" but it seems like it's not going to be good news for anyone who wanted to see DRRR dubbed and/or released by FUNimation.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Where does it say that on Twitter? Beez's twitter only says they have Durarara....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4