• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Speeding up Manga Releases

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginzugirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:20 am Reply with quote
It's about freaking time! Guess VIZ finally realized they were lost in the dust of Tokyo Pop, and others powerhouse manga publishers!

Never has a publishing company had their head jammed so far up their corporate rectum! VIZ publishing has been the bane of manga retailers since it started doing business. Great titles, but ridiculously slow service, project delays and release date roll-backs!

I am optimistic VIZ is finally turning a corner and joining the rest of the manga-mad world!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
sokpupet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
Umm...where on the Viz website is this news? Unless they have a different site only people with a computer chip in their skull can see. Don't get me wrong, I wants me some Kenshin and fast. I'd just like to know where I can see it.
Hoshi19

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'm happy too. I'm getting sick of waiting 3-4 months for Inu Yasha, Naruto, and Yu Yu Hakusho volumes to come out. When you have to wait that long, you start to lose interest in series.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:26 am Reply with quote
Yep, Inu Yasha and Kenshin will be speed up, but I would bet dimonds to dounuts that Naruto, YYH, One Piece and all the rest that are currently in Jump will be coming out a the same pace it has been at. Why put something in graphic novel format if it only was just in Jump last month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:23 am Reply with quote
well its about time they did that, I hated waiting 2 months for Kenshin.

Mary
Naruto_86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:00 am Reply with quote
Why are people waiting months for Naruto manga?
I dont understand. I download 1 volume each week. It comes out weekly
Is there something i am missing out on?
If so, someone please tell me?
Thank you
Big Towers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:22 am Reply with quote
Because the Naruto Manga has been licensed for English Translations. Certian people would rather buy as opposed to downloading.

Also, CHAPTERS of Manga come out every week or so. Volumes are complimations of Chapters. If you download one volume every week, you are more than likely going through several months/years worth of Manga releases.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:18 am Reply with quote
Heh I would of settled if Viz just released titles bi-monthly like the majority of Tokyopop titles, but I can settle for monthly...I just hope my budget can, although if Kenshin is the only title, then it won't be a problem. Heh by this winter we'll be halfway through the Kyoto Arc ^^
Zack26
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
ginzugirl wrote:
It's about freaking time! Guess VIZ finally realized they were lost in the dust of Tokyo Pop, and others powerhouse manga publishers!

Never has a publishing company had their head jammed so far up their corporate rectum! VIZ publishing has been the bane of manga retailers since it started doing business. Great titles, but ridiculously slow service, project delays and release date roll-backs!

I am optimistic VIZ is finally turning a corner and joining the rest of the manga-mad world!

I feel the same way. Because it used to be like months till we would be able to get Naruto or One Piece.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Now the question is: if they go monthly on their titles, will Shoen Jump cease to exist seeing that the manga will outpace the magazine.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Now the question is: if they go monthly on their titles, will Shoen Jump cease to exist seeing that the manga will outpace the magazine.

They'll probably keep releasing the titles from Shonen Jump as usual and only speed up their other titles (Kenshin).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zack26
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

They'll probably keep releasing the titles from Shonen Jump as usual and only speed up their other titles (Kenshin).

Emerje

That's cool. Because I get to see more Prince of Tennis. Very Happy
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Naruto_86 wrote:
Why are people waiting months for Naruto manga?
I don't understand. I download 1 volume each week. It comes out weekly
Is there something i am missing out on?
If so, someone please tell me?
Thank you

If there's something that you don't understand, it's your illegal activities. Downloading translated manga scan when the manga is licensed is illegal. There are many chapters per volume (6-10), so downloading a chapter per week, you would need 1 or 2 month to get a whole volume. Do you know the differences between volume and chapter? How about what's legal and what's illegal?

8 Buck a volume isn't that much.
Just totally ripping off the creater makes the whole "manga buying" community look bad when leecher are getting it for free online.
soupychan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
You know, if it is indeed true that VIZ is spending more time to pump out titles like Rurouni Kenshin more quickly, that certainly explains why other series, such as Hana-Kimi, are running behind schedule.

If such is the case, I'm not pleased about this turn of events. Come on now: with all due respect, fans of series like Kenshin can stand to wait a few months between manga releases just like the rest of us.

But my personal preferences aside, I think this is actually a pretty smart business choice. VIZ is striking while the iron's hot, and trying to make as much profit off of impatient fans as they can. Definitely a smart move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:27 am Reply with quote
soupychan wrote:
You know, if it is indeed true that VIZ is spending more time to pump out titles like Rurouni Kenshin more quickly, that certainly explains why other series, such as Hana-Kimi, are running behind schedule.

I think one reason why Hana-Kimi is late is because it's a Exclusive (until 4 or 5th volume) to Borders and Waldenbooks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2