• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does "anime teh s uck" mean?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I was watching Adult Swim and I saw this commerical about "Free Hockey Chicken" and down in the screen, it said "Anime teh s uck". Is CN actually dissn' anime or are they making fun of anti-anime fans by calling them bad spellers?
ultrabot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I dont remember exactly but more or less its just a running gag from someone's email to AS.
Zeler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quite awhile back some schmuck posted 'cus anime is teh s uck' on their messageboards, in all seriousness. The AS guys then latched onto it and used it as a catch-phrase for awhile, I even own one of the shirts.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:12 pm Reply with quote
In one of their bumpers, Adult Swim had the following:

Things that the message boards have taught us:

1.Inuy@sha RuLeS!!!!!
2.You guys LOVE reruns.
3 HAMTARO MUST DIE!
4. cus anime is teh s uck

In fact, that's our new tagline.

cus anime is teh s uck.

[Adult Swim]
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
This is what happens when you have way too much free time running a network...
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about it too. When I saw the commercial, and saw it. I was like, Does that say "anime sucks"? NO! It can't be!
Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I dont think AS would say anime sucks since many of their shows are anime and I would guess most people watch AS for anime Very Happy
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I read somewhere that Inuyasha is the highest-rated cartoon in AS while Family guy is 2nd. But I'm not sure.
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I read somewhere that Inuyasha is the highest-rated cartoon in AS while Family guy is 2nd. But I'm not sure.

Yes, that seems about right...as for "anime teh s uck" I'm not sure what that means but when I first saw it on that Hockey Chicken commercial, I was certain they meant that Anime sucked, but that couldn't be right...so I waited for the commercial again, and I thought it was true. But the title "anime teh s uck" isn't clear exactly so I'm really not sure what it meant. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:

Nope. Family Guy, Futurama, and a handful of WS's own creations still top the anime stuff on a regular basis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have to admit, Family Guy is a funny show, but so is Harvey Birdman. I hated Aqua Teen Hunger.
Zeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:

Nope. Family Guy, Futurama, and a handful of WS's own creations still top the anime stuff on a regular basis.

I also kind of got the vibe that the AS guys loved anime and were always trying to increase the market for it, but the numbers were just never there (see; The short lived Action Block on Saturdays). Family Guy and Futurama were just the workhorses of the block, they'd always do well no matter the timeslot.
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote
"Anime is teh s uck" came from the Adult Swim boards. The space in suck was because of the censors. Anyway, way back before the AS boards had as many folders as they do now there was "fighting" between the comedy and anime fans. One comedy fan replied to a topic with "because anime is teh s uck" and it stuck. That's how the whole thing started.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Well Futurama and Family Guy won't last forever, they've already run through all the episodes numerous times. Eventually, they will lose their steam.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Good thing Family Guy has 22 new eps in production, and I believe they're aiming for some kind of Futurama mini
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2