• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Manga Put on Hiatus

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
GODDAMN executives, can't they stay out of it? "Association with mental disorder", my foot.
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I saw this earlier and while I certainly hope he returns to the series again, I fully respect his decision over this as I'm not down with the retroactive censorship from his editors.
Claire Voyant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
;__; Oh god, why do people have to make things difficult?

Let the man be, why change something if it isn't broken.

sdfsadfsdf. My day just got ruined.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Claire Voyant wrote:
sdfsadfsdf. My day just got ruined.

Probably unintentional on your part, but all I can think about now is a depressed anthropomorphic (and possibly super-deformed) transforming mecha fighter jet. Thanks a lot. Very Happy
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
They dissed his dialogue and now we gotta take the heat. Because that's how successful mangakas roll.
Losstarot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
So if I understand correctly, Kishiro managed to both satisfy his editor's request and get the 100th installment of Last Order completed on time? Is his decision to put the series on hiatus related to his editor's request?

It seems to me like the series' story has been losing it's direction lately. Maybe Kishiro just doesn't have any good ideas about where the series should be going and decided to stop working on it until he comes up with something good.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Probably unintentional on your part, but all I can think about now is a depressed anthropomorphic (and possibly super-deformed) transforming mecha fighter jet. Thanks a lot. Very Happy

On such a matter, I believe there exists something very similar to what you have in mind. Alas, it is not depressed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This really sucks. Basically he is stopping work to prove a point, with the editors reply of "yes I know" it doesn't look good for Alita/GUNNM.

It would really suck after all of this time that an ending will be denied to all of the fans. I am unsure of the true popularity of GUNNM in Japan, but I can't imagine the editors not being the ones to flinch in this game of chicken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Will executives ever learn? Honestly.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Losstarot wrote:
It seems to me like the series' story has been losing it's direction lately. Maybe Kishiro just doesn't have any good ideas about where the series should be going and decided to stop working on it until he comes up with something good.

"Lately"?

The general lack of direction--or if you want to be generous, near-total about face change--of Battle Angel Alita: Last Order has been plain as day for some time. Here's an article I wrote like, a couple of YEARS ago that touches upon that, and it all still holds true today.

It's not that I don't enjoy BAA: Last Order. It's superbly drawn, with all sorts of completely crazy characters and action. But--and maybe there are a few One Piece fans who can relate to me here--they're not actually doing anything to resolve the ongoing storylines or advance what is presumably their primary goal. In the case of Last Order, it was presumably supposed to be a "do-over" of the original ending, which if memory serves has now been excised from reprinted editions. But now we're at the point where Last Order has run for longer than the original series itself, with hardly any closure given at all to whatever previously unresolved points there were. In fact, it's actually created ADDITIONAL unresolved plot points! Sure, we get to see the crazy space mutant rock band instead, but maybe Kishiro should go on hiatus for a while, then come back with a roadmap to resolution that isn't taking pages from Kentaro Miura's Berserk playbook.

For the record, that roadmap consists of two simple words: ROCKET HAMMER.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedTail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so Kishiro is told to make three minor changes that essentially do very little to alter the meaning of the lines and would take the average person with photoshop around five minutes to change and now he's freaking out and refusing to release anymore Last Order. Am I seriously the only one here who thinks the mangaka is overreacting?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Will executives ever learn? Honestly.

Is an editor considered an executive in the publishing world? I am unsure but I would consider them managers. An executive would be C??, president and vice president of ?, would it not. Not familiar with the publishing world, but pretty much every other business this would be true.
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Okay, so Kishiro is told to make three minor changes that essentially do very little to alter the meaning of the lines and would take the average person with photoshop around five minutes to change and now he's freaking out and refusing to release anymore Last Order. Am I seriously the only one here who thinks the mangaka is overreacting?

His editors asked him to go back and censor something that's been out in the wild for ages because of some PC fear/oversensitivity about mental disorders and that it was SO IMPORTANT to them that they demanded he do so while working on both a piece of coverart and the landmark 100th issue. He's absolutely justified to take his ball and go home after that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:

Do you realize how many fans react the same way when an English version "edits" similar changes to their favorite manga? Laughing
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Man, I am now somewhat glad that I didn't start buying Last Order. I was going to a few years back because I loved the original, until I read something about vampires and decided not to.

Anime World Order wrote:
In the case of Last Order, it was presumably supposed to be a "do-over" of the original ending, which if memory serves has now been excised from reprinted editions.

Now it got me thinking, could someone describe what happened in the original ending and in the "excised" ending? Just so I know which one I got.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4