• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2010 - Funimation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Even without a Durarara or Sailor Moon announcement, I have a very, VERY happy fangirl right now. ♥
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I actually suspected they might get the Trigun movie, since there's no point in picking up the show otherwise. Plus, it supposedly has a bigger following here than in Japan, and Madhouse allegedly could use the money, so...
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
no mention of the Darker Than BLACK OVA which takes place between the two seasons?
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that the original Tenchi Muyo OVAs were licensed rescued. Its something I've been wanting for a while, but I just couldn't see myself paying upwards of 300 bucks to get the old ultimate set that Pioneer released in limited edition years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to data collected from their DVD surveys, the majority of anime fans are dub fans...

I'm quite curious as to what the specific number is. It's obviously more than 51%, which is a lot no matter how you cut it, but I'd still like to know how much approximately.

Anyways, yay for still doing dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
no mention of the Darker Than BLACK OVA which takes place between the two seasons?

I'm thinking that's included on DTB2's license. But that's pure speculation based on a few facts (such as the OVA being made at the same time as S2 and getting released altogether in Japan).
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:

I'm thinking that's included on DTB2's license. But that's pure speculation based on a few facts (such as the OVA being made at the same time as S2 and getting released altogether in Japan).
yeah, they are being released on the DTB2 DVDs (one left to go!), so I'd assume that, but without confirmation it's only that. of course, there are instances of OVAs not being included in a license for various reasons, so it's still a question I'd really like to get an official answer for (hopefully). if it's included or not may be a factor in if I get the series or not.
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to hear that "the majority" of their fans are dub fans... but I wonder how many that is? Funi dubs aren't usually to my taste, so I guess I'm not in that majority, but as long as there are subtitles, I'm happy ^^ I'm interested to see their Hetalia cast, though-- definitely will listen to the dub on that one!
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kinda being nitpicky, but it's "Sakura-Con", not "Sakuracon".

Also, shouldn't that be Armitage III OAV and movie, not TV and movie?

Last edited by Dessa on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to data collected from their DVD surveys, the majority of anime fans are dub fans,

Wait, wha...? I'm pretty damn sure my survey card for Baccano! didn't even ask that question, and I'm always skeptical of this kind of survey anyway, i.e. dub fans are more likely to answer the question because they know dubbing is up in the air for future releases. I'm not saying it mightn't be true, but I'd like to see some actual numbers: how many said they were fans, how many said they wouldn't buy something without a dub, how many people even turn in surveys relative to how many are sent out, etc.

Sorry, surveys and polls are an endless source of misinformation, so when people randomly throw out numbers I get irked. Ditto on the age brackets; wouldn't teens be less likely to bother with surveys? And on it goes...
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
I'm surprised to hear that "the majority" of their fans are dub fans... but I wonder how many that is? Funi dubs aren't usually to my taste, so I guess I'm not in that majority, but as long as there are subtitles, I'm happy ^^ I'm interested to see their Hetalia cast, though-- definitely will listen to the dub on that one!
what's so surprising about that? dubs have sold better than subs for years. that's one of the reasons that back in VHS days you could get dubbed VHS tapes for $5 or so less than the subbed versions.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
It figures that shortly after I hunted down the Tenchi Muyo OVA DVDs that Funimation should rescue them. Well, that's okay, because I still need Tenchi Universe and movies 2 and 3 on DVD! I just hope they don't redub them too heavily. True that the Tenchi dubs don't hold up as well today as they used to, but it would be bizarre hearing another cast. If they have to redub, just do it for the movies.

I don't have much interest in Tenchi in Tokyo, but at least it's slightly better than that dreadful third OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
YES! My prayer is finally answered! They finally got Hellsing Ultimate V through VII!
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Aha! Surprised Index and Railgun. That makes more sense. I wonder if they'll release them simultaneously or something.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
YES! My prayer is finally answered! They finally got Hellsing Ultimate V through VII!

I second that sentiment. I had pretty much given up. But any word on whether or not they're going to bring back the original English dub cast? Please let the answer be YES!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4