• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Purge requests

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
I would like to find out whether it makes sense to create one (sticky) thread for cases when all that has to be done would be hiding all entries (credits and attributes), thus downgrading an entry to a "corpse".

Suggested set of rules:
  • The entries in question must be simple cases (i. e. not require a merge or split and thus more powerful tools that only dormcat or Dan42 can use).
  • They must have all their entries being "moved" (i. e. flagged as "error" and added to the correct person/company) by the requesting contributor prior to the request.
  • They must imply the request "please hide all of its entries, be that credits or attributes" (so they're likely "known redundant duplicates").
The idea is to have one thread (instead of many) where encyclopedists like Emperor Brandon or Shiroi Hane can find cases that are relatively easy to handle and don't require any more administrative rights than they have. It may not be that simple for contributors (who would post these requests) to identify these requests in general - which is why I want limit this thread to "hide all" operations only.

With a rule set like this it might even suffice to just post the URL of the entry here (the error flags would carry the more detailed information) as the procedure to handle an entry would be standardized; all the encyclopedist would have to check is whether the "move" has been performed and whether error comments & sources are considered sufficient.
Note that a thread like this one might not even be necessary if Dan42 decided to write a report script to automatically list all such cases (entries with every credit being flagged as error - or else they would not qualify here as they wouldn't have been "moved" already). Actually this thread is little more than a specific subset of already existing error reports in the ANN database... but this being "specific" is what it makes a candidate for a special procedure.

Would any such thread be helpful for normal encyclopedists as "channel" for a standardized request class?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My "test balloon" entry for such a thread would be:

Takumi SUZUKI (鈴木) (琢磨) (kanji name confirmed by both sources) is a spelling error duplicate of
Takuma SUZUKI 鈴木 琢磨 (1961-12-07, picture, website)
as 琢磨 has 2 ENAMDICT readings Takuma, Takumaro but not Takumi.
3 credits for 2 anime flagged&added and can be hidden, kanji names will then be deleted by me.

There's nothing to merge here so posting this one in the Duplicate Persons thread would probably not be helpful.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Consolidating several error reports into one thread is actually a nightmare when it comes to actually handling those error reports. Just look at the duplicate persons thread. It's 65 pages long and there's no way to know which of the reports have been handled (either merged or judged to be non-duplicates) and which haven't. Posting error reports as separate topics might generate a lot of "noise" in the Encyclopedia forum, but at least "todo" and "done" are easier to separate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm perfectly fine with tons of threads if you are. (Would subforums for splits, merges, purges make any sense?)

I believe a substantial part of the current state of the Duplicate Persons thread is due to the criteria what&how to report there being neither known not followed nor executed exactly enough... the bucket is too huge and contains too many cases that just can't be handled - not because of their number but because of missing information that would require guesswork. It's a bit like the split requests: The more requirements you formulate for a request to be allowed, the easier it can be handled. If you would accept each and every "in process" report als split request you would drown in them like dormcat in the duplicates reports; the fact that you specified tougher requirements for them encouraged me to focus on filing split requests.

The thread you're just reading would specify a subset of "duplicates" that explicitly do not belong into the "Duplicate Persons" bucket (as they require a different procedure), thus reducing dormcat's workload. There may be more "error classes" to be specified (and error reporters be taught how to identify their class of error) but in the long run this would lead to more specialized encyclopedists each focusing on a small subset of issues.

One main reason for the Duplicate Persons situation is that ANN has no procedure to handle anonymous duplicates, i. e. do anything reasonable with the information that two persons obviously are the same (with identical kanji name, identical tasks, identical company they work for, identical time frame) but no proof for their romanized name is available (which is the case for most low-level animators, background artists, colorists etc.).
Given that ANN has the romanized name as the basis of the person data structure there is not much we can do with this information except for making those persons link at each other (which I already suggested elsewhere, and could be done automatically by the ANN software). Unless any such procedure will be specified these anonymous duplicates will "pollute" the Duplicate Persons thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1