• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Karigurashi no Arrietty to Open on July 17

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Well, let's hope this one will be better than the previous two "adaptations" from Ghibli. It's not very reassuring though, to hear that it's the guy's first time directing.
But hey, who knows, maybe he's a genius, at least I hope so...oh Ghibli, it's so sad to see you crash and burn in recent years...I grew up with your films, you know...
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I am going to cross my fingers and hope its a good one. Smile
toru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, the movie itself looks quite beautiful (as to be expected from Ghibli) and sounds interesting, being that I've never read The Borrowers. The theme song also sounds pleasant to listen to.

So hopefully this will be brought over here in the future. ^^
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Err previous three. Howl was bad for the story. The designs were fine just what was that story. If he actually followed the story much closer from the book it would have turned out better.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
Kiki's Delivery Service is excellent. I see why the author didn't like it, but considering it was a one-time thing with no plans for sequels, I think the flashier ending was suitable.

Howl's Moving Castle is a good example of needless changes. I still really enjoyed the end result, but setting up the original's plot threads and then replacing their conclusion with an unrelated Miyazaki anti-war ending was unfortunate.

Seems strange to set the Borrowers in modern Japan when Ghibli has been happy to use old-European-style settings in the past, but I guess we'll see how it turns out.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing this. Hope this adaption turns out well. Might be up his alley.

I've never read 'Howl's Moving Castle', but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I know that some aren't crazy about 'Miyazaki's older works and now some are picky about his newer works. I think I fall into that category of those that are either "slightly" impressed with the newer works. His animation is still phenomenal, it's just the story elements or adaptations that present issues. I still have yet to see 'Ponyo'. Yet I'm buying it not know if I'll like it. But I want to start my own Ghibli library since they plan to re-release them.

To nightmaregenie, nice avatar. Densuke (Dennou Coil) forever! Smile
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I think it has potentional... the change to a japanese setting is different, I wonder how it'll be incorporated into the story. There's been other adaptions of the Borrowers before though, so it'll help differeniate it. I really like the theme song too.
Alien1375

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread like this one, but this seems the most relevant.

There's a review of the movie on the site of The Japan Times:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ff20100716a2.html

It sounds good to me Smile
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
nightmaregenie wrote:
Well, let's hope this one will be better than the previous two "adaptations" from Ghibli.

I know, seriously! "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Whisper of the Heart" were horrible movies.
(Just kidding, just kidding.)

I was a big fan of the Borrowers books and the 1997 movie when I was a little kid, so I'm looking forward to this with two parts excitement and one part pickiness. I really hope it's good! Poor Studio Ghibli needs some fresh blood.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
nightmaregenie wrote:
Well, let's hope this one will be better than the previous two "adaptations" from Ghibli.

I know, seriously! "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Whisper of the Heart" were horrible movies.
(Just kidding, just kidding.)

Those weren't adaptations. I assume nightmaregenie was referring to Howl's and Earthsea, both of which apparently played it quite loose with the source matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Really? I'd always heard that the Kiki novel and the Whisper of the Heart manga came before the movies. I could be wrong, though. I've never read the book or the manga, but I really liked both movies, so I feel that Ghibli adaptations don't have to be bad.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart are both adaptations (though as I understand it WotH is a pretty loose one).

Off-topic, but while grabbing those links I noticed that a live-action Kiki adaptation is apparently planned for 2011. Would be interested in seeing that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1