• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On!! T-Shirts, Tie-In Goods Bring in 1.8 Billion Yen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's not bad at all. Good for TBS, they need a moneymaker or two to help cover the shows that don't do as well.

I'll be curious to see if Bandai releases anything along with the dvd's themselves. However, I don't see K-On!! selling as much merchandise here. They could always post some stuff on their online store though.

*goes back to drinking coffee from a Cospa K-On!! mug...*
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah...as much as I like K-ON! and drinking coffee, I wouldn't be caught dead using a K-ON! mug, lol...
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The new opening theme song, "Utau yo!! Miracle," sold 28,172 ...

That's 28,172 more units than it had any right to sell. Ugh. That song makes the first K-ON!! OP seem brilliant in comparison (great ED theme though, imo).
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
I think cash cow is the appropriate term. Even if BD/DVD sales are down some for the second season, they're still quite good, and merchandising is obviously through the roof.
SirSlarty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Yup, cash cow.

But I can't help but throw my American money at Japan for these things. I missed out on some of the awesome shirts. Like this one.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
The next time I see discussions indicating how the anime industry is losing money regardless of reason, I'm pointing them to this article. *bookmarks

~$20 million.

How many anime productions can this make when this amount doesn't even include other revenue streams?

I wonder if the article's title is a misprint and should have been "NEWS: K-On!! T-Shirts, Tie-In Goods Lose 1.8 Billion Yen In Production Costs" just to match the rest of the news coming from the industry.

Anyone from ANN want to do some investigative reporting to give us the real answer to the state of the anime industry by asking some tough questions?

This is great news.

It's just too bad it's going to fall between the cracks of the rest of the articles spelling doom for anime.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The next time I see discussions indicating how the anime industry is losing money regardless of reason, I'm pointing them to this article. *bookmarks

~$20 million.

How many anime productions can this make when this amount doesn't even include other revenue streams?

Note: Not every show is like K-On, just as not every band succeeds the Beatles.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Note: Not every show is like K-On, just as not every band succeeds the Beatles.

The thing is, I just don't get the interest in K-ON. Granted, this is all my own personal opinion and I don't expect my opinion to be shared by everyone in the world but I just don't think it's that great a show. Yes, I can see the appeal, I love my moe shows as much as the next moe fan, but K-ON just doesn't stand out from any of the others to me.

Well, whatever, I generally like the moe genre so as long as K-ON posts big numbers like this, then I can expect that the odds of shows I actually do like being made are higher. So, good for K-ON, as baffling as this is to me.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

~$20 million
This really is exclusive to Japan, at least the merchandising side. What we tend to focus on in R1 is anime DVD/BD sales. All of the tie in merchandise wouldn't even come close to selling the 20 million in R1. There may be a market for it here but I wouldn't bet on it.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

~$20 million.

Most of the time, when someone mentions how the anime industry is having problems, they're referring to the American side of the business, since they don't get the rights for all the merchandise and therefore, they have to get all their money back from just the show while in Japan the show as shown on TV is just an advertisement for the DVD/Blu ray release and toys/extra merchandising.
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
This really is exclusive to Japan, at least the merchandising side. What we tend to focus on in R1 is anime DVD/BD sales. All of the tie in merchandise wouldn't even come close to selling the 20 million in R1. There may be a market for it here but I wouldn't bet on it.

For perspective, K-On! character good sales for this quarter were about the same as FUNimation's net sales in the same quarter[1]. The US market is pretty small these days. Of course, K-On! merch is nothing compared to the titan that is Gundam.

[1]Estimate of FUNi net sales for the first quarter of FY 2011 is no more than $18 million. To derive this estimate, subtract FY 2011 net sales for Navarre's publishing segment, 6.9 million (6.8 in 2010), which FUNimation is not included, from the first quarter of 2010's first quarter results ($24.9 million), at which time they were included. We know sales have declined from 2010 to 2011 but not by how much. Thus, FUNimation's net sales for the first quarter of FY 2011 must be less than $18 million.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
Merchandise sales in the US alone:

- $2.512 billion in 2007 from non-video character goods -vs- $318 million from DVDs

This is probably why Crunchyroll offers semi-daily Woot! style deals on merchandise. I myself bought one of the Macross SDF figures here.
For example this Sengoku Basara Revoltech Date Masamune - White Limited Version is their latest. Of course there are female figures as well like those from Ikkitousen.

However, I have not seen any really high-end, uber-quality PVC (read: expensive) figure offered yet.
I have also noticed that most--but not all deals--state:
Quote:
THIS DEAL IS AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE.

Ships straight from Japan and will be delivered in 2-4 weeks after the close of the deal.

Just like most of the above chart, our "local" merchandise sales, count directly towards Japanese ¥¥ and are not reflected in US industry $$, except for a few properties.

I am positive this is the same situation around the world as well.

edit: likewise, I'm sure the converse is true when it comes to US DVD and BD sales: everyone else who imports them outside the US contributes to the US industry. I bet this also occurs now more than ever with box sets.
kippy666

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Wow...maybe that company can use the money from K-On! to make a decent show Anime hyper
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
- $2.512 billion in 2007 from non-video character goods -vs- $318 million from DVDs

Many people questioned the graph's data because the elements weren't really voicing what was actually happening.

Christopher McDonald (tempest) called JETRO to figure out what's going on. Like most data we see: The graph does not reflect the accuracy of the industry.

Most of the merchandise is derived from tent-pole (Pokemon, Dragonball, Naruto) titles and includes everything not called a DVD.

This means the rest of the series we get are reliant on DVD sales for their revenue. Make sense.

Thus, to me, this article is saying the same thing the graph states in that popular series drive most of the merchandise sales, leaving the rest to whine about failed sales because of [insert a media sensation term here].
Economics 101

The problem with the article shows there is only one company claiming this Brass Ring: TBS.

Why hasn't anyone else claimed success of this amount? KyoAni, did employees get a raise? After all, they did the animation for K-On!!. Please. Someone tell us the money is going back to the artist, the primary beef about our piracy fights.

So, we know TBS is responsible for quite a few other series outside of K-On!!. What does this mean?

It means people are buying more of TBS sponsored products than others so the others whine about *crackle*, rather than competition being a factor of lost sales.

Just look. After I posted my remarks, people were quick to dismiss them because "Oh, we're not in Japan, so this doesn't pertain to us." while completely disregarding all piracy discussions are about artist paychecks.
KyoAni, care to comment?

~$20,000,000 in sales means while Japan is buying stuff, people are watching for free at "those" sites.

Don't forget this amount doesn't include other forms of revenue and those are what we contribute when the product finally gets here.

News like this probably isn't the best thing to release because it's getting me to question why I'm buying DVDs.

Tell me the thought just didn't go through your head.

Don't worry, though. I do know why I buy.

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Well, that explains why they're even on the box of aircraft carrier models. link
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3