• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4,000 Protest Takashi Murakami's Versailles Exhibit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
That protest is so stupid that I have no words to describe it. It's not like Murakami sensei is going to burn the rooms down or destroy the parquet or the walls to install his sculptures.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The group's leader, Arnaud Upinsky, called the show "illegal,"

Laughing

In my opinion, these people are ignorant of the fact that "The Lonely Cowboy" will not be in the exhibit. I bet they only managed to get those signatures by spreading misinformation.
ayashe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
"Have no place in the royal apartments"? I think you lost the right to say that, dear French people, when you slaughtered the people who lived there.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
actually I can think of a few modern artists that have displayed their works in the versailles palace that had........innuendouous elements to them (I'm not sure if those had any protests as well, but I studied them in my classes. so I'm sure they made it their regardless)
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
This is great.
Bell02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
There's a saying or something about great art... if the general public hated it when it was first released/exhibited, then they'll probably be in love with it in 50-100years.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I still don't see how those two "figurines" are art.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I still don't see how those two "figurines" are art.

Probably because you don't know what true art really is.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so Hiropon's jumping rope! I honestly missed that the first time I saw it.

In any case, this is a silly, silly thing to protest. If they're upset about nudity- that's been a prevalent part of the art world for centuries. If they're upset that it's not tradtional art, then they're just being close-minded. Personally, I really like that 'Flower Matanago' piece, and the contrast compared to the room it's in.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Traditionalist groups are protesting the exhibit, citing past Murakami works such as "My Lonesome Cowboy" and "Hiropon" as proof that Murakami's works "have no place in the royal apartments."

Neither sculpture is listed to be displayed at the exhibit. Among the sculptures that will be exhibited are "Flower Matango" (pictured above) and "Tongari-kun" (pictured below).

That's the end of the argument, right there, as far as I'm concerned. The organisers have obviously thought about what would and would not be appropriate for that venue; dismissing the entire body of work of an artist because you find a small subset distasteful is a ridiculous and untenable position IMHO.

And that first sculpture looks hella funky! Smile I'd go along and have a look, for sure.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Oh, so Hiropon's jumping rope! I honestly missed that the first time I saw it.

In any case, this is a silly, silly thing to protest. If they're upset about nudity- that's been a prevalent part of the art world for centuries. If they're upset that it's not tradtional art, then they're just being close-minded. Personally, I really like that 'Flower Matanago' piece, and the contrast compared to the room it's in.

I guess they're protesting it because it so risque and is not just art with nudity. Personally, I do think it is a bit odd to be displaying the 2 statues in Versailles, it just looks out of place.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Personally, I do think it is a bit odd to be displaying the 2 statues in Versailles, it just looks out of place.

If you mean the risque ones, they're not being displayed. And if I read the article right, they're supposed to look a little out of place.

I wish I could go see this exhibit, I love the contrast in the pictures shown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Muppe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
That protest is so stupid that I have no words to describe it. It's not like Murakami sensei is going to burn the rooms down or destroy the parquet or the walls to install his sculptures.

Pretty sure their mostly protesting becouse Murakami isn´t french... or that one of them ran into him in Japan and he was ignorent enough to not speak their language.
Oh the french, how I wish I never have to speak with one of them again... or well try since they mostly refuse to speak anything but french even when outside their own country.
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with MorwenLaicoriel. The contrast between Murakami's works and the majesty of Versailles is beautiful.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Muppe wrote:
Oh the french, how I wish I never have to speak with one of them again... or well try since they mostly refuse to speak anything but french even when outside their own country.

... As opposed to American tourists, you mean? Rolling Eyes

About the exhibition, I don't think Versailles 300 years' history would be "desecrated" by the exhibition.. at least without the infamous statues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2