• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - System Wars

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
I've heard the "licensing" reason used a lot, mostly for SRW, but why do anime companies hold the rights for video games? Is it a trademark thing? Or is it licensing from the companies that own the trademarks in the Japan for US release?
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
I've heard the "licensing" reason used a lot, mostly for SRW, but why do anime companies hold the rights for video games? Is it a trademark thing? Or is it licensing from the companies that own the trademarks in the Japan for US release?

The situation is actually much simpler in Japan, since Banpresto is a part of Namco-Bandai and thus get easy access to most of the series used in SRW and ACE. It's much more complex in US and other parts of the world, since all the different licensing companies and other right holders would probably want a piece of the pie. Conceivably it could all be sorted out, especially if Namco-Bandai themselves wanted to bring the games over, but since they would pretty niche games and unlikely to sell much anyway (I don't think Atlus ever saw much if any profit from the OG games) it probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort.

Also, Bangai-O HD makes my nipples explode with delight!
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
Woohoo, Kingdom Hearts BBS at last! Everything else might as well pack up and go home for the foreseeable Very Happy

Just saw that Disaster Report 4 for PS3 was announced in Japan, and we never even got the third game on PSP, despite it being effing awesome, with the PS3 game looking equally fantastic.

Obscure anime stuff I can understand, but genuinely appealing titles like that that can't have been cheap to make not coming out outside Japan is just baffling to me.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
I've had my eye on Quantum Theory for a while, hopefully a demo will release shortly so I can get some hands-on time before it streets, and now I have Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll to look out for as well.
And I'm counting the days til KH:BBS comes out, as I'll be on vacation for the next two weeks, so I'll have plenty of time to play it. xD

Also, I've got Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom. It was one of the first games I bought for PS3, and it's a rather fun game to play in co-op.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

SRW sells about 200-400 thousand copies per game. This will allow them to make a profit using a lot of anime series especially if their from Bandai (Gundam, Code Geass, GaoGaiGar), now some creators are asking to much or don't want their shows to be in SRW, an example is that Giant Robo is in the first Alpha but the death of the creator of the various characters caused a rise in the cost so they where no longer in the franchise.

In America the games sell are awful the best selling game apparently only sold 50,000 games, so even if the game is an OG game than it's unlikely to come to america.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
I would say putting any of Matsuno's creations into KH would make it far more interesting...BUUUUUT it's probably for the best that the maturely written, complex protagonists are kept far away from Nomura's increasingly confusing pet project. Hell, the biggest reason the series is so name impenetrable now is because Nomura keeps pushing back Vs 13 (which is getting into the "HURRY UP ALREADY!" category)
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
...mr. T?
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
will the alternate world of Sakura Wars ignore Germany's rise to fascism in the 1930s just as it ignored Japan's?

Actually Japan's was dealt with in Sakura Wars 2.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to receiving KH:BbS next week from gamefly. Looking forward to awesome voice acting, the 'final' (Well, I think it's the MAIN one) plothole being filled and pretty much the stage being set for KH III.

Also, very good news to hear that NIS America looks to be acquiring SDGN, if they get their hands on it I will definitely pick it up.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
=.= I'm getting tired as hell with Kingdom Hearts games... Move on, people, move ooooon. =_______=

Also...what I find sort of funny is that most of the stuff found in ACE games is really Bandai property... At least 80%. That makes it a much smaller licensing hurdle than people may think initially.

And if stuff like Tatsunoko VS. Capcom went live, then ACE shouldn't be a problem... Provided it would be a pay-off in the end.

Which it won't be. I fact, a Biblical failure, probably.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I would be more upbeat about Kingdom Hearts if the plot became more simpler. It seems to have become a convulsive mess. Can't truly tell what's going on any more. But since I like Disney and various Final Fantasy characters, I would go for it on the cheap.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Uforia: Well if you ask me, a dinosaur is way better than a cat. After all, look at all the Gon love Razz

Another Century: Meh, I bet the Code Geass fans are going nuts for this. It'll be the first time Lelouch is appearing in any kind of crossover. I'm sure some silly fans will make dumb cracks about why he just doesn't use his Geass to hypnotize enemy units.

Super Dimensional Game Neptune: I'm seriously behind on these crossover RPGs. I haven't even gotten to X Edge yet. I've been watching my friend play the Japanese version of this on YouTube and the mild complaints involve how Gust needs to get new sound effects for the magic and moves in their games. It seems like a fun yet silly romp with anime gals being the physical representations of our current game consoles (and one failed one). A strange idea, yet it does sound like a somewhat creative premise.

BBS: I know, seriously. They need to get Gargoyles in KH already! I've been saying that for years. Goliath would make a great guest character. I mean, heck, that show had enough of a dark somber mood running through it that you'd think it would get chosen as a world for one of the games. It would also be a great excuse to hear all the voice actors together again (though, I found out that the seiyuu for Kankuro voiced Brooklyn in the Japanese dub of Gargoyles; scary). As for BBS itself, we're all pinching ourselves in anxious rapture for it to be released, despite the complaints about Terra and Aqua's English voices.

Recette Tear: Damn it, stop talking about Duo Princess. It reminds me that they thought Dewprism wasn't good enough to have a sequel Anime cry
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Let's transform Daimos!!! Laughing
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Another Century: Meh, I bet the Code Geass fans are going nuts for this. It'll be the first time Lelouch is appearing in any kind of crossover. I'm sure some silly fans will make dumb cracks about why he just doesn't use his Geass to hypnotize enemy units.

No they won't, because anyone who has watched Geass knows you need eye contact for Lelouch's Geass to work.

Though ironically (ACE-R spoiler coming up) spoiler[He actually does use it on the main villain after you beat him, commanding him to relive all the pain and torture he inflicted on others for eternity]
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I would be more upbeat about Kingdom Hearts if the plot became more simpler. It seems to have become a convulsive mess. Can't truly tell what's going on any more. But since I like Disney and various Final Fantasy characters, I would go for it on the cheap.

Too bad there's little to none in the latest iterations.

Days = Moogles.
BBS = Zack, Moogles.
coded: Cid, Cloud.

Yep. That's what I call a styrofoam stepping stool, and it solidifies Nomura as an egotistic douchebag who's way too in love with himself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4