• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Earthsea Ends U.S. Run with US$48,461

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Wait.....the run is OVER?!?
Shocked
We didn't even get it where I live!!!

Mad

I don't think it's fair that anime businesses are failing, when the majority of people don't even get a chance to see such films when they reach our coast....
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Think yourself seriously fortunate that you're not a UK resident if you like seeing anime in cinemas. Over here, if it's not Ghibli, then good luck. ¬_¬
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed that it only got such a limited release. There's a local theater that I've seen all of the Ghibli movies since Princess Mononoke at, I was hoping to see this there, too.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
You're not missing out on much besides pretty art. There is absolutely nothing coherent about this film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mogiks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Think yourself seriously fortunate that you're not a UK resident if you like seeing anime in cinemas. Over here, if it's not Ghibli, then good luck. ¬_¬

Uhh, to be fair, there are a few places that screen anime films that aren't Ghibli. I'm sure the Barbican has, and numerous film festivals and anime/manga cons. And I think it's probably a similar situation in other countries - I mean, anime isn't as big a draw as the Hollywood blockbusters, so cinemas just don't risk it. Personally I'm quite happy to watch all anime at home anyway. If you rent you're not wasting money on stuff you buy and then don't like.

ANYWAY, I have to say this sounds like a pretty disappointing run for Earthsea. I saw it at my tiny local cinema a couple of years ago in England (apparently only one of 23 cinemas showing it in the UK?!) and was pretty disappointed, but the turnout seemed good. I just read on Wikipedia it made £23,300 in the UK.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
They only ran it as long as possible for it to be eligible for the Oscars. This wasn't about getting it out there or trying to make money. Not like it would do anything at the Academy Awards either, but it'll at least be nominated simply because it is a Ghibli title and the new way Oscars are done would allow for it.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
mogiks:

You're right of course about cons/film-festivals showing anime. My argument was that you couldn't just expect your local cinema to be screening anime. And I understand why cinemas don't want to take on that risk, but still. As fans, if we want to see more of it, I guess all we can do is vote with our wallets and keep buying tickets.

As for other countries, I was under the impression that there are various events in the US where anime gets screened quite regularly. I think recently on FUNi's blog they mentioned showings of My Bride is a Mermaid.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
mogiks wrote:
I saw it at my tiny local cinema a couple of years ago in England (apparently only one of 23 cinemas showing it in the UK?!)
You think that's bad? It only ran on 5 screens here in the USA.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
mogiks:
I was under the impression that there are various events in the US where anime gets screened quite regularly. I think recently on FUNi's blog they mentioned showings of My Bride is a Mermaid.

only if you live near funimation in texas, its not like they travel to all major cities showing anime, would be a great idea, but they only do it near their HQ in texas, so living in florida, it is not feasible to go to a screening
Sovay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Earthsea lasted 3 weeks at the Angelika. I was at that theater to see a different movie during the first week and poked my head in to see what kind of crowd it had drawn and there was pretty much nobody in there. I guess that others, like me, had heard it wasn't very good and saw something else.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Never figured we get to see this on a wide basis anyway, especially with the way the economy is affecting even Hollywood movies lately. So, for those who have seen it, we salute you Wink
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy that I got to see Earthsea before its run ended! Anime smile Such a short and sparse run. Sad

ZenErik wrote:
You're not missing out on much besides pretty art. There is absolutely nothing coherent about this film.

Huh. I've seen plenty of comments about the movie like this, but I don't get it. I was able to see Earthsea the second week it was out and yes, I did find it pretty, but I also found it highly coherent. There were only a handful of edits at the beginning of the film that felt a little awkward, but the rest of the movie flowed fine for me.

Sovay wrote:
I'm surprised Earthsea lasted 3 weeks at the Angelika. I was at that theater to see a different movie during the first week and poked my head in to see what kind of crowd it had drawn and there was pretty much nobody in there. I guess that others, like me, had heard it wasn't very good and saw something else.

And this makes me sad because I think people should wait until they see a movie to decide whether it is very good or not. I hope there weren't too many people who didn't go and see it because of what others said. I waited to watch it with my own eyes, heart, and mind, and I found that I absolutely loved it! The dub was excellent, too. I'm definitely going to purchase it when it comes out on Blu-Ray. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie because of all the negative comments that I had read about it. But then again, as I told my friends before we saw the movie, I often like things that other people don't like. In fact, I was left wondering if all those people saw the same movie that I saw. Well, I guess in reality, you can only see the movie that you as an individual see. Oh, and there was a decent crowd at the theater I went to, although some people brought their little kids and some of them left when the movie started getting darker. I guess that they didn't do their research about the movie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:

And this makes me sad because I think people should wait until they see a movie to decide whether it is very good or not.

Yeah, I'm sure fans stood in line for Dragonball: Evolution. Laughing
KayJay123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
It would have been nice for them to give it at least a month. It was only in LA for two weeks. . . Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
wal: It's not eligible for the Oscars, because it's already been released on home video. This run's just an advertisement for the upcoming R1 DVD and/or Blu-Ray.

Sovay: I'm guessing the small attendance has more to do with the fact that it came out during a week when there were other films people wanted to see. If it came out a few months earlier, it might have found an audience. But Disney might not have been able to legally release it here a few months earlier, so...

Tortoise: Yeah, I don't get the Earthsea hate, either. For me, it was a fun fantasy, especially compared to Howl. Not entirely sure if I'm willing to risk Battle Royale 2 over also liking that live-action Sukeban Deka[Yo-Yo Girl Cop] movie in spite of the former getting panned, but I'm willing to take back my jab at Goro and Kenta being silver spoon directors. They seem to have potential, though they were still probably in over their heads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2