• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Okamisan Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually like that the show takes itself seriously at times. I think breaking up the fun with a humanizing background check is a nice way to counter the goofy comedy moments while staying within the realm of that given episodes' story. I think it effectively adds depth to the characters and favor it over the all too often flat moe types. Episodes 7 and 9 really work hard to drag up the pasts of certain lead characters.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mucks about with unimaginative angst that has a depressing tendency to disempower its female lead.

This is why I enjoy reading Carl's reviews (as well as pretty much any staff that writes reviews. Especially Zac's, they are just awesome.)

Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the anime at first. I liked how the main female character had a strong personality and took some of that out on exercise rather than solely on the main male character.

Each episode (maybe?) was based on some sort of fairy tale. I only knew the first one, but that really isn't that important. This series had an interesting cast of characters and at times, you could really tell they were friends. The maid had a reason for acting the way she did (spoiler[ she was saved from being hit by a friend that was a brother to her and that a massive impact on her.] and the main male character wasn't just another spineless stereotypical nice guy at times and had other family members in the series.

Sadly, as the series went on, it somehow reduced the stance the main female held and touched on some pretty depressing subjects that eventually made this series too depressing for a slice of life show and somehow made this show less comedic. Normally, that would be okay, but I just understand why it had to come to this.

Granted, the pace the show was going was rather mediocre and I had lost interest as the series dragged on, but the show could have gone another route.

I like slice of life anime, but I watch anime to laugh and at times be amazed. But not to watch shows that are darker than they need to be.

Overall, this series did have potential and may have a character that looks like Taiga, but sadly ultimately falls short. While this series isn't really bad, I personally think it's C grade material at best. Some of the minor character's are absolutely hilarious, so that is a plus though.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought the storylines got pretty generic, but the characters are really fun to watch so I think a B is appropriate.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I also have to agree, the "minus"
"Mucks about with unimaginative angst that has a depressing tendency to disempower its female lead."
is a perfect description of the shows problem, "unimaginative is a key word, as Carl say, the fact that there's a dark secret is not the problem, it's that it is such a bad one that doesn't fit with the show.
The second part of the criticism is spot on too. It's fine and dandy to make our heroine a bit vulnerable but unfortunately they take it too far and make her weak. They even keep using the word "weak" in their description of her, it's not good, she shouldn't be protected, she should be strengthened.

But yeah, other than that part, which is far from a constant presence, it's a very pleasant show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't have if it went much further. What was good was it moved along fast enough that if something was starting to bore you, it was gone fairly quick. Of interest to fans of other works is episode 8 (I think) where the prince was seeking a bride, the last few where it jumps includes most of the Jr High girls from "Railgun" as well as some of ToraDora!'s cast (I noted Taiga, at least) and probably more cameo's than that.

Not a bad show, definately not a great one.
extatix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
Not a bad show, but what ruined it for me was the narrator / voice-over. Why the beep did they choose to annoy the public by letting the narrator talk through other dialogues? That was truly awful. And really, did we need more she-has-got-no-boobies jokes? So full of potential and it went down the drain.

Mediocre at best.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But how else do you describe something that neglects what is fresh and interesting in it while feeding all that is stale and worn?

Answer:

Quote:
Mediocre at best.

Another answer is "commercially inspired." A lot of talent went into this anime and was wasted. I saw the BD version with the dub directed by Clinkenbeard. The end product was ok-to-fair, but I wish they had spent all that time and talent on a more worthy product.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1