• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mitsudomoe Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Spectacularly vulgar, more than a little disgusting, and highly creepy-making for some.

Which is why I stopped watching this series early on. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some pretty out there/really odd series in the past and recently, but this was too weird for me to continue to watch.

Well done bathroom humor can be quite hilarious if done well like in Gintama, but there does come a point when it can be too much.

I will say this though, I'd be really surprised if this series ever is licensed in the states though.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
This is hands down the funniest anime I've seen in years. Azumanga Daioh, Fumoffu and this. Best laughs you can ever have with anime.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I stuck with it despite barely laughing at the first two episodes. While the perverted humor doesn't leave (it does lessen) the really bad gross out humor does. No more pee jokes, no snot strings, instead they change to misunderstandings about panties, double entendres, a whole bunch of funny jokes about the Gachi Rangers and, yes, some simple but effective characterization.

And as perverted as it was it couldn't quite match the truly outrageous and more mature perverseness of the LOL Setokai Yakuindomo.... which has an even harder prospect of a US license considering all of the Japanese word gags.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
I read a bit of the manga first to get a feel of things. After watching Kodomo no Jikan and reading it's manga counterpart, this series feels somewhat relaxing.

The 1st episode's spoiler[hamster named "Nipples"] created some hilariously touching jokes! I was surprised at it's cleverness!
Speaking of South Park, the jokes did seem a little Terrence & Philip...

Knowing that the show is consistent and still not ALL silly BS convinces me to continue with it.

Thanks Carl.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
Over time I have become more bored of this show, it started off with a few good jokes but they refuse the same situation, such as the Gachi Rangers (until recently), way too often. It is not a bad show but not as funny as it could be.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
If you would look up suggestive humor in the dictionary you would see Mitsudomoe next to it.

I can see that some of the humor would be off putting to some, but Mitsudomoe is one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. I highly doubt that it would get an R1 release, but I guess I can still dream about it though. Can't wait for season 2 to come out.

I do disagree about jokes and the age of the characters. I know when I was that I age, I made jokes about that stuff all the time and I know other people at my age did too. I see nothing wrong with, but I could see where others would.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
First of all, when I found out this was a shounen manga, I was confused. Then I was like "oh wait this makes more sense now."

Anyway, glad this show got a positive review. It's hilarious.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
This show was something of a surprise to me. I was interested by the trailers, but slightly disappointed by the first four or so episodes, but since then it's really taken off. The point where the teacher fades into the background in favor of the sisters is key. It relies on misunderstanding heavily, but I was surprised how fresh it seems regardless.

It's also got a great talent for pulling extreme facial expressions of all kinds. The overly-cutesy character design only makes them funnier.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yabe thinks of and treats his kids like kids, and aside from the occasional bit of questionable fan-service, the series is far more interested in serving up a good time than pandering to the lolicon crowd.

Well said. Save the occasional angled shots of Futaba, this series' signature content is the vulgarity of what is discussed by the starring youngsters. Whenever undergarments and bodily parts become the subject matter — and I cannot deny how frequently this occurs — the camera angle will tend to focus upon character reactions and not personal exposure. Indeed, this forms much of the humour itself.

On a personal note, the Piano Sonata No. 16 "hot spring" sequence was one of the most charming comic narratives I have recently seen. (In the scene that followed, Futaba begs Sato to posteriorly punt her across a frozen pool. What a contrast!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
This is Mitsudomoe, huh? guess I will give it a chance. The generic character designs sent me fleeing in the other direction.
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
They're 6th graders? A bit short and young looking, don't you think?

v1cious wrote:
This is Mitsudomoe, huh? guess I will give it a chance. The generic character designs sent me fleeing in the other direction.

Is it wrong when I look at char. designs,(mostly because of the ROSY AND SHINY cheeks and knees) I think of wagner?

spoiler[dont google for him, you wont like what you see...]
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Mitsudomoe really has some comedy gold moments, its great entertainment. The show really hits its stride after the first few episodes and stick with what works for them. Great stuff Laughing
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I still don't know how I started watching Mitsudomoe - the very presence of the word "moe" in the title was like police "danger!" scene yellow tape, and it sounded like standard fare of the worst sort.

It was really a surprise when I realized, after 2-3 episodes, I was really enjoying it, in spite of myself. It's the kind of "charming bad" that makes you laugh even as you think "I shouldn't be laughing at this...probably." The "Futaba Ice Bowling" segment was a standout comedy sketch for the series, and the slowed-down shots with the facial expressions were great. I'm not sure how, but this became the only series of the season I will have made it all the way through (barring any I go back to see the rest of later). It really does have more chops than its looks - or premise - would make it seem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1