• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'S-F Domain' Registers childrenwhochasevoices.com

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
S-F Domain
Quote:
Sentai Films

Pretty easy connection. I prefer their dubs of Shinkai works to the...other ones. Glad to see it's coming over. It wasnt as good as his other films IMO, but still a great film
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen any of his works but I will see them eventually in the near future but this film always seemed interesting so it will be nice to see the film in english form hopefully Sentai Films casts more of their less known voice actors in the film other then their six or seven go to voice actors that are in every one of their english dubs.This is an off topic thought but I'm curious if Sentai or Funimation will pick up the Another anime soon..seems like a title that would be interesting to watch in English.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
At least now we know (or can pretty much deduce) who licenced it for North America. One wonders why it is taking so long for an announcement after the cancellation of the movie presentation at WFAC last November. One also wonders what changed that would allow it to be shown at the NY ICFF this past February. I'm very much looking forward to the N.A. release (BD and English dub, hopefully), but not sure why the licencee is taking so long with something official, especially since it was licenced at the same time that WFAC was running.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Sentai would probably consider this a big license, especially since they've picked up every other Shinkai film (or at least ADV did) and they even registered a separate domain for it. This and the other recent ComixWane propertie are the only ones they've done that for.

I have a feeling they are going to officially announce it at Anime Boston as Section 23 will be a vendor and Sentai usually has panels there. It does seem like the type of film they would want to announce someway special.
Tratious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
This is an off topic thought but I'm curious if Sentai or Funimation will pick up the Another anime soon..seems like a title that would be interesting to watch in English.
Sentai Filmworks has licensed "Another"
read the acquisition announcement here DVD/BD scheduled so look forward to an English dub.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
This is an off topic thought but I'm curious if Sentai or Funimation will pick up the Another anime soon..seems like a title that would be interesting to watch in English.
Sentai Filmworks has licensed "Another"
read the acquisition announcement here DVD/BD scheduled so look forward to an English dub.

Thanks for the info! That is some good news indeed!
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Last November at AniMaine, David Williams said Sentai had just picked up a big title he couldn't talk about yet. I suspected this might have been it, but now it's pretty obvious it is.

I like all of Shinkai's movies, except for this one. It's easily his worst, just full of ideas that seem to putter out and drop off well before the end of the movie. Shinkai's strength is in focusing on one thing and keeping it interesting, but here he tried to make an epic and wound up getting lost in his own concepts. By the end I couldn't feel happy or sad for any of the characters, all of their motives felt so selfish and shallow.

Still, I'm going to buy this when it's released, I've got all of the other releases including both dubs of 5cm/s so I need this to keep my collection up to date.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Well, it's no surprise that ADV picked up another Shinkai product, given that they've done the same for all of the previous titles...

Good news for those who want to listen to the movie in English. Since it wasn't my favorite of what he's released, it's going to take a lot more than just a dub to get me to double-dip (in fact, the dub doesn't factor in at all for me with this particular title) since I've already got a subtitled Blu-ray.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
Shinkai is a more interesting writer and director than to be churning out a imitation-Miyazaki piece.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Shinkai is a more interesting writer and director than to be churning out a imitation-Miyazaki piece.

Shocked It did kind of have a Miyazaki feel, but I don't think I would call it imitation-Miyazaki. It deals with some classic Shinkai themes (especially how people cope with distance from loved ones), and I rather liked it as a story. It certainly was interesting and beautiful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1