• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: XSeed Games to Release Unchained Blades on 3DS, PSP

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blarg01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm ok with going back to no va's for cut scenes and dialogue...
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
blarg01 wrote:

Now, I don't know how much voiced dialogue the game had to begin with (like if it only had battle phrases or if cutscenes were fully voiced), but according to Siliconera XSEED is including an english audio track.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/28/unchained-blades-coming-to-psp-and-3ds-as-a-digital-download/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
Sounds like the story of Heaven and Archangel Lucifer............. if God is a woman, in the gender sense of the diety............

How's that to warp the mind.......... Laughing
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
blarg01 wrote:

Now, I don't know how much voiced dialogue the game had to begin with (like if it only had battle phrases or if cutscenes were fully voiced), but according to Siliconera XSEED is including an english audio track.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/28/unchained-blades-coming-to-psp-and-3ds-as-a-digital-download/

And that's a problem for some people, including me. I would like to have a Japanese voice track next to the English one, give us a choice. When the English dub is horrendously done, the whole experience of the game is spoiled, even an option to disable the English voice-overs would be a "A God Sent Gift". I guess the lack of Japanese voice tracks in games has to do with licensing issues (e.g. XSeed needs to pay more for the Japanese voice-overs), and storage limitation of game cartridges that are e.g. used for the 3DS. On the other hand, unlike music, voices can be compressed really well, while more or less maintaining the quality of them, especially in formats like Ogg Vorbis or HE-AAC.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
The Japanese voice acting for this game sounds horrendous too. Like ear bleeding horrendous.

Also, I don't know how storage limitations come into play given this is a download-only release.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The issue in the case wouldn't be storage spaced need for the extra audio, the issues would be adding the extra feature of choosing your track. Companies like Xseed are localizers, they translate and publish the games but they don't really do any programming. They would have to go back to the company they licensed the game from and have them implement this feature. The problem a lot of the time is that the company is to busy with current projects to work on implementing this feature. In some cases the team that worked on the game is no longer with the company (I remember translation of Dragon Quest IV for the PSX being canned for this very reason).

I think for the most part companies would love to be able to offer a duel audio feature, it's just not feasible a lot of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The Japanese voice acting for this game sounds horrendous too. Like ear bleeding horrendous.

Clicked on it expecting bad acting from newcomer VAs or something, but all it is is Gotou Yuuko doing her Mikuru voice. Doesn't sound bad to me.
Temuthril

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Primus wrote:

Clicked on it expecting bad acting from newcomer VAs or something, but all it is is Gotou Yuuko doing her Mikuru voice. Doesn't sound bad to me.

My ears disagree.
TC-man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Temuthril wrote:

I understand that there's licensing issues of getting the Japanese voice-overs. But it's still unclear whether this is because the Japanese anime company is asking a really high price for them, or XSeed can not have the original voice-overs because they are only for Japanese market, it doesn't matter how much money XSeed put on the table? It sounds like the latter one, when I read the answer from XSeed's Wyrdwad.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
That's interesting if its the latter. That would give reason why some companies can't have the Japanese VA track. They probably thought the game wouldn't get shopped around for overseas and the Japanese agency only signed their VA just for Japan.

Sad that its a digital download, but glad its coming out anyway. Some of art for characters looks nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1