• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gintama TV Anime Draws to a Close

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they are ending it, they have been making pointless lazy episodes lately.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
lately? Are you new to Gintama or something.

Anyway, this news sucks. I am going to be real pissy for a while...
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
Geez, Bleach ends in five days, Beezlebub's ending, Gintama's drawing to a close... For some reason, I have a feeling it won't be long until Naruto has it's final curtain call as well. Not so sure about One Piece, however, that could run for an incredibly long time xD
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
How sorry are they really? *sigh*
The show had just come back from an hiatus about a year ago. It was starting to hit a stride, most recently with a particularly good arc centered around the Shinsengumi character Hijikata. I haven't paid much attention to recent Japanese ratings, but for a long running, popular shonen manga, it keeps getting the short end of the stick. The anime was cancelled, *twice*, it only has one theatrical movie, and Viz cancelled its English language tankoban releases this past year.

OTOH, Beelzebub only gets sixty episodes, no movie and no English language manga release, and the Bleach anime was cancelled right before its manga entered its final arc, so the Shonen Jump shows are just not having a good 2012, are they?
khadijah1415

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
I was so happy when the episode preview had the new arc in it... and that made me hope that they had it together.... A lot of SJ anime are drawing a close. I hope Gintama does what it did last time and wait 1 year and then continue...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Geez, Bleach ends in five days, Beezlebub's ending, Gintama's drawing to a close... For some reason, I have a feeling it won't be long until Naruto has it's final curtain call as well. Not so sure about One Piece, however, that could run for an incredibly long time xD

I'd actually be perfectly fine with Naruto ending after the current arc, since it's given the impression of a finale what with all the series-spanning information and reveals its had of late. Plus, having Kishimoto perhaps do a new different manga would be great (I'd love to see him tackle another genre).

Since One Piece is one of the quintessential juggernauts of the manga world, I doubt it'll end for a good while yet.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
One piece has a good 9 to maybe 8 years left, since spoiler[whitebeards ware] was the halfway mark

As far as bleach and beelzebub, I personally don't care, as I stopped caring about the bleach anime for a while now and I hated how the anime staff did beelzebub, so I'm CELEBRATING that ending.

As for Gintama, I've only seen a few eps, but if it really is ending(and not just screwing us over) all I can say is, "I'm sorry".

Well, it'll make watching the series a bit easier. I'm definetly getting the movie sentai's releasing.
rbjr73

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
its not the neverending story like bleach n naruto....good but get lost in their on hype....gintama forever...their making a huge mistake Embarassed
OtakuGamergirl69

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

It's a shame... such wonderful animes are coming to an end isn't it?
Well I guess, out with the old and in witht the new.[/img]
OtakuGamergirl69

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Gintama.... will be remembered forever
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Weren't they going to adapt the "Kintama arc" where protagonist Gintoki Sakata is replaced by another character, Kintoki Sakata, who retitles the series Kintama?

By the way, isn't this show titled " Gintama' "?

Last edited by sainta on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
hamsterfactor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
I guess they're just getting too close to the manga now and iirc the only anime-only episode this season has been the one with Madao doing Slumdog Millionaire. I actually prefer the Gintama anime to just end rather than to do fillers.

The manga is at a sublime point right now, so here's hoping they'll resume the anime at some point - I really enjoy Sunrise's work with this series.
hamsterfactor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Weren't they going to adapt the "Kintama arc" where protagonist Gintoki Sakata is replaced by another character, Kintoki Sakata, who retitles the series Kintama?

I think they may end the series with a cliffhanger at the beginning of that arc. "Sunrise Trolling" sounds like a nice and appropriate way to end the series imo.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The show had just come back from an hiatus about a year ago. It was starting to hit a stride, most recently with a particularly good arc centered around the Shinsengumi character Hijikata. ...

But how close are they to the most recent tankoubon volume? If they can't run for another year without filler, then whether its cancelled or gone on hiatus is not a decision that has been made yet ~ it'll be made when the manga catches far enough ahead for another year of anime, and then someone will raise the question of whether it makes sense to bring it back for another run.

Quote:
OTOH, Beelzebub only gets sixty episodes, no movie and no English language manga release, and the Bleach anime was cancelled right before its manga entered its final arc, so the Shonen Jump shows are just not having a good 2012, are they?

Bleach is another example ~ its ratings really sank toward midnight anime territory with the last filler arc, so its not surprising that they decided there is no sense in going into another filler arc at this point.

Its the market and its position in the market in 2013 that'll decide whether this is a cancellation or a hiatus.

Beelzebub was originally announced as a winter series, at the time with a rumored planned run of three or more broadcast seasons. Since it got extended another half year, and can't be extended another half year without risking running out of material, that'd be a successful run for a series that is not a runaway best seller, but whose tanboubon have sold in the top ten and have broken 100,000 in the week or two after release.

There's no special reason to be confident it will be brought back, but if its its still a reasonably popular series a year from now, someone would be likely to see if it could be brought back. As always, it'll come back if enough prospective production committee members will commit to enough money each to finance the production budget.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise. I thought it was odd how they came back only a year after the first hiatus when they stopped in the first place because they were too close to catching up to the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4