• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry GN 18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
At last we have finally reached where the first season of the anime left off. Although I know what happens later (Takano's involvement and whether destiny can be changed), I'll still be religiously collecting and reading this manga. Like you said, the manga offers perspectives and moments that didn't quite make it into the anime, particularly with Shion in her story arc, and from the start of reading the manga I was hooked to the story all over again. Either way, Funimation doesn't feel it's worth finishing the saga, so for anyone that wants to see this series all the way to its (amazingly awesome) conclusion, look no further than the manga, as gradual as its release may be. We literally only have two more story arcs of the saga to go, and they're all being released in omnibuses! Most excellent.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The transition from the end of the arc to the epilogue has to be one of the greatest fourth wall breaking I've ever seen. It almost made me feel directly responsible for the events covered thereafter. I've read that transition over and over again. It's definitely the best way they could've handled that coming from the game (where the epilogue was an additional TIPS [ancillary material that helps flesh out the story] that appeared once the chapter was finished).

I'm glad they're combining the Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi arcs into 2-in-1 volumes too. Each one is 5-8 volumes long if I remember correctly. That's a lot of books.
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Another Higurashi, another "A".
Sounds about right.

Although now with the Massacre Arc about to begin, I'm reminded all over again about how much I wish the anime had had a full English release. Sad
Genet

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:

I'm glad they're combining the Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi arcs into 2-in-1 volumes too. Each one is 5-8 volumes long if I remember correctly. That's a lot of books.

Yeah Massacre arc is 6 vols and Festival Accompanying Arc is 8. I am so stoked! Very Happy I love the art in the Massacre arc!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1