• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed Theatrical Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:51 pm Reply with quote
where is canada? Evil or Very Mad

an official form Geneon comes up to CNAnime, shows us the pretty trailer, tell us how great it is, and now this. so much for his promise of a wide release.

even if this is the initial release to test the market, then still, why not add the city north of the border with 8 million people, tons of anime fans, and home to some of the biggest cons?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Its around there somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I doubt Geneon could afford to do even the most minimal wide release, since the cost of making 1500-2000 prints and advertising, and I'm not talking saturation-level advertising like most summer blockbusters get, would easily be in the $20-30 million dollar range and Geneon, while a major player within the anime niche market, just can't risk as much money as a major studio could to do such things. Not that a film such as this would likely turn a profit in wide release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:56 pm Reply with quote
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:

even if this is the initial release to test the market, then still, why not add the city north of the border with 8 million people, tons of anime fans, and home to some of the biggest cons?

Canada is "later"

All the markets that they listed are bigger than any Canadian markets.

And uhh, 8 million people? The Greater Toronto Area is only 5 million people. (source: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/toronto_facts/diversity.htm). (And for the required dick waving: Did you know the city of Montreal (but not the area) has more people than the city of Toronto? ...)

Just like Ghost in the Shell is now showing in Montreal and Toronto, Appleseed will hopefully make its way north as well.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: I guess those cities fit their criteria for "widest possible release" as they told me. I'm also wondering if they delayed it, because they have no confidence in getting nominated for Best Animated Film in 2004. Oh, and I hope the actual film doesn't suck, since it's a January release...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I think I can say with some degree of confidence that nothing Japanese will even be nominated for Best Animated Feature this time around (though I would be surprised if we didn't see either Howl's Moving Castle or Steamboy at the 2006 Oscars, though probably not both). For a sideshow prize like Best Animated Feature, to be noticed enough to even get a nod, a film needs either to do very well at the box office (Shrek and Finding Nemo) or, for more niche foreign animated films, a huge amount of critical momentum (Spirited Away), preferably backed by an impressive "For Your Consideration" campaign.

Anything marketed by Geneon won't be released wide enough to do boffo box office, nor will it be seen by enough critics outside of the fandom niche for its Oscar chances to be sustained by critical momentum. Geneon can do the paperwork, but, even if Appleseed gets on the preliminary ballot, it will just be one of those obscure non-American animated films probably 99%, and I'm being generous, of Academy members would not have heard of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Don't be too sure. Dreamworks seems to be behind Innocence a lot more than they were with Millennium Actress.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Still, it hasn't broken $1 million at the box office nor has it been seen by too many of the "critics who matter", so Dreamworks would have to mount a damn impressive FYC campaign to get the attention of all the people who missed it the first time around.

And we all know the horse Dreamworks will be grooming the most for BAF will be Shrek 2, with Shark Tale also getting better FYC treatment than it otherwise would have got because of better-than-expected box office.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Believe me. They wouldn't put it in competition at Cannes if they didn't expect it to at least be nominated for an Oscar.
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Believe me. They wouldn't put it in competition at Cannes if they didn't expect it to at least be nominated for an Oscar.

Do you really think that every movie that is shown at Cannes is expected to be nominated for an Oscar?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
Just the ones which are in competition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1