• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
San Diego Comic-Con 2012 - JManga Panel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Dang, jManga didn't mention anything about print-on-demand, for those of us who still want hard copies. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Dang, jManga didn't mention anything about print-on-demand, for those of us who still want hard copies. Oh well.

Yeah. That's a shame, but I'm still holding out hope they'll go that route in the near future.

I love what JManga is doing; I just will never buy a virtual book if I can own a physical hard copy. I'd love to own Peacemaker, Animal Academy, and many of the other titles now under their digital belt, so I hope that avenue opens up soon.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Good to hear a release date for the Android and iOS apps. Tried to download Viz's manga app for Android, but it was region-locked.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
I downloaded the Viz Manga app, but I can't back-up the .APK to side load it onto my Kindle Fire Sad I'd rather read on the 7" screen than the phone's 4" screen. (Size does matter!)

Oh well. I am pleased to hear that JManga is going to rescue some of the Tokyopop titles. I just wish they would do Tokyo Pop's light novels that they dropped the ball on (Gosick, FMP!) Sad
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I downloaded the Viz Manga app, but I can't back-up the .APK to side load it onto my Kindle Fire Sad I'd rather read on the 7" screen than the phone's 4" screen. (Size does matter!)(

I'm waiting for the Nexus 7 to be available locally. Supposedly only the 16GB version will be released here and the price will be a bit more than the $249 in the U.S. since Google Play doesn't have the license to sell movies and music in the Philippines (yet), so no subsidized hardware.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I love what JManga is doing; I just will never buy a virtual book if I can own a physical hard copy.

For me, it's become the opposite.

A lot of anime and manga are pretty disposable. I look at e-readers as being "magazine-like" --- and most manga are distributed in Japan in magazines.

Like streaming anime, these days I'll only buy physical media for the series that are worth mulitple re-viewings or re-readings. Physical hard-copy has decreased in importance now that I've gotten used to handheld e-readers.

Physical media could go away entirely if I had access to open-format electronic versions (I don't want my manga collection to vanish when a company goes out of business or my e-reader becomes obsolete).
JManga
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I look at e-readers as being "magazine-like" --- and most manga are distributed in Japan in magazines.

Of note, digital manga has taken off in Japan, with people buying - and reading - quite a bit from their cell phones during the daily commute. They certainly work well in the place of serials, as they minimize what the average person must carry about on a cramped train - and like serials, can come out quickly, without quite as much risk as the pricier tankoubons.

With a goal of making Japanese manga as accessible as possible to readers worldwide, our first priority will be to digital manga, given accessibility and ease of distribution. While we will of course take note of demand for paper copies and look into the feasibility of that option, costs are generally much higher, and demand can be difficult to judge at times.

We will say, however, that if you have a feature or title you want to see on JManga, or simply thoughts on digital v print or other such, let us know, and we truly will see what we can do. We've come a long way, with your help, and we'd like to continue striving to make JManga a worthwhile experience for all who come to the site.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

Yeah. That's a shame, but I'm still holding out hope they'll go that route in the near future.

I love what JManga is doing; I just will never buy a virtual book if I can own a physical hard copy. I'd love to own Peacemaker, Animal Academy, and many of the other titles now under their digital belt, so I hope that avenue opens up soon.

I would say they could totally handle print on demand. Perk for being a sub user.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1