• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira Toriyama, Toei Make Dragon Ball Z Film Next March

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It never ends...

Is this like what, the 20th film now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
It never ends...

Is this like what, the 20th film now?
18th not counting the TV Specials or OVAs.

I'm confused as to just what this film will be about. They should just adapt the Buu arc to finish off Kai.
takachsh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Always happy to hear for another animated DB movie but honestly, I think we all want the Buu arc given the Kai treatment more then another side story.

But I'll be happy for anything, more DB isn't always a bad thing as long as the hardcore fan don't go making a big deal about it (which we know will happen).
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
so happy cant wait!
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The first post I see is pessimistic? WHAT THE HECK, PEOPLE? This is Dragon Ball Z we're talking about, with Toriyama himself overseeing the whole thing! This is the best news I've heard in months!
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
That's good and all but when the heck is the Majin Buu saga going to be added to the Z Kai series?
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope Shunsuke Kikuchi will provide new music for the film!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Who'll compose the music?

Maybe some new stuff from Shunsuke Kikuchi?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mugen26

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Holy Ball(z) Batman! This news is so unexpected, it absolutely feels like a late april fools joke to me. Forget the new features like Plan to eradicate the Super Sayains, Episode of Bardock, and even the new footage for games, this is going to be another Dragon Ball Z Film, the first since 1996! Even better, Toriyama's heavily involved with writing the script! Talk about the biggest Dragon Ball related news since the announcement of Dragon Ball Kai (even if that one didn't live up to expectations)

I'm honestly pretty stoked to here more news and updates of this one in the future!
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
The first post I see is pessimistic? WHAT THE HECK, PEOPLE? This is Dragon Ball Z we're talking about, with Toriyama himself overseeing the whole thing! This is the best news I've heard in months!

Fans have been burnt and disappointed tons of times recently so you can't really blame them. It's a good idea to just stay cautiously optimistic for the moment.

Not to mention, new full-length DB animation isn't exactly news anymore. Honestly, the excitement over it wore it after 2008.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
AgitoZ wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Fans have been burnt and disappointed tons of times recently so you can't really blame them. It's a good idea to just stay cautiously optimistic for the moment.

Not to mention, new full-length DB animation isn't exactly news anymore. Honestly, the excitement over it wore it after 2008.
Really? Weird, I really enjoyed the last two pieces of animation produced ("Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!" and "Episode of Bardock"), especially the second one. Did other people not like those? :S
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Not really pessimistic. This is good news for the diehard fans, but I wonder how long the DBZ train will go. I mean for example, you're still seeing video games for the series so many years after it ended. The show itself is 23 years old now.

Didn't they not do the Buu saga for Kai because the series wasn't selling well or something (Where the well started to dry up?)? I know it got great TV ratings though as it always appeared on the weekly Japanese TV ratings thread you see here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Weird, I really enjoyed the last two pieces of animation produced ("Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!" and "Episode of Bardock"), especially the second one. Did other people not like those? :S

Ugh, "Episode of Bardock" was such bullshit. A Death Ball can send people back in time? What is it, the Omega Sanction?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Weird, I really enjoyed the last two pieces of animation produced ("Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!" and "Episode of Bardock"), especially the second one. Did other people not like those? :S

Ugh, "Episode of Bardock" was such bullshit. A Death Ball can send people back in time? What is it, the Omega Sanction?
See, I enjoyed it. It was the first occurrence of the Super Saiyan, and it demonstrated how Frieza came to find out about the legend of it. As a longtime fan, I enjoyed it.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Not really pessimistic. This is good news for the diehard fans, but I wonder how long the DBZ train will go. I mean for example, you're still seeing video games for the series so many years after it ended. The show itself is 23 years old now.

Didn't they not do the Buu saga for Kai because the series wasn't selling well or something (Where the well started to dry up?)? I know it got great TV ratings though as it always appeared on the weekly Japanese TV ratings thread you see here.
I think it will go on for years simply because the story is timeless. It's a unique amalgamation of various tropes derived from classic warrior's tales. Goku is a timeless figure, much like many heroes of pulp fantasy novels and comic books, and thus, it doesn't matter that the series ended ages ago. It will keep trucking on based on instant recognition alone.

That being said, I would like to see a new series or something along those lines. Kai was interesting, but it didn't really hold my interest due to the fact that I'd already seen AND read it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4