• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which titles do you consider to be "Classics"?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dimwitted0ne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of manga out there, and I was just wondering which ones were the "generally accepted Classics" of manga. I don't think I've read any that are "old" enough to be classics, but I would imagine something like Naussica to be a classic... but I could be entirely wrong.

What do you think it takes for a manga to be a Classic? Like, does the story have to be uber deep and meaningful or something like that? Or is it more about the art?

Which titles do you consider to be "Classic" manga? And why? What are the ingredients of a "Classic"?
linlinchan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
OK, my votes for classic series would have to be Osamu Tezuka's "Black Jack," and Rumiko Takahashi's "Urusei Yatsura."

As for Black Jack: The visuals add to the story without being overwhelmingly good or bad and distracting from it. It tells the story of an extremely talented surgeon with some unorthodox methods. Yes, many of the cases discussed are a bit unrealistic, but most of them have their basis in reality, and the series gains a level of credibility due to the fact that Tezuka himself was a doctor before becoming a manga-ka. It's also obvious that he is well read in classic literature, especially from Russian/German philosophers, etc. Anyway, much of the work deals with the meaning of a life/human life, our duties to serve others/do good, etc. It's very fascinating and moving.

Urusei Yatsura, on the otherhand, is an all-around fun series. It parodies much of the romantic comedy up until the time, with additional parodies of traditional Japanese customs and society thrown in all over the place. It also created the basis for a whole new sort of romance manga, and influenced much of what is coming out today. The chapters are almost episodic, but have a basic overall flow to them. Plus, the art, while not amazingly great, has a definately overall charm to it.

Anyway, these are my two votes.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
By classic I mean a manga that has influenced a wide range of artists and fans. Because of that, I look towards older stuff more because it's influence and lasting effect are more visable. I do have some modern mangas that I feel are or will eventually be classics, but I will not include them in this list.
Well, you have to include at least one Tezuka story, so I'll go with Phoenix. Its probobly his most ambitious project, and since it takes place through out history there's certainly a wide range of appeal. Probobly has his best writing too (Adolf was also up there though, but the art works better for Phoenix).
Of course Astro Boy had the biggest effect on manga, but Phoenix raised the bar. Tezuka has tons of classic works. He's even credited with the first shojo manga.
Akira is another classic. It changed manga (and to some degree American comics) forever, and its influence can still be seen today. It remeains one of the most ambitious works of manga ever in terms of depth and storytelling.
If I had to pick some other classics, I would also go for Lone Wolf and Cub, Maison Ikkoku, and Appleseed.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009- Classic sci-fi story that was ahead of it's time. It had enjoyable charecters, creative powers, and amazing art.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I think many of Rumiko Takahashi's works could be considered classics. The success of InuYasha and Ramna 1/2 in anime is mainly because of the strong stories Rumiko put into the mangas first, and both of the above are certainly manga classics.

I also think CLAMP works are classic, also. Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, and X/1999 are all great manga series.
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:48 am Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
I think many of Rumiko Takahashi's works could be considered classics. The success of InuYasha and Ramna 1/2 in anime is mainly because of the strong stories Rumiko put into the mangas first, and both of the above are certainly manga classics.

I also think CLAMP works are classic, also. Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, and X/1999 are all great manga series.

I agree on the Ranma1/2, I guess I put and the Clamp work in the catagory of "probable Classics" in the sense that they aren't old enough yet. Inu Yasha, maybe? Check with me five years after the last cartoon network rerun is off the air. If it's still being read, I'll put it in the Clamp pile.
I think a "classic" should be at least 15 years old and still being read or be remembered for a major contribution to Manga. For example, Rose of Versailles is known for what it did to Shoujo but it's not read anymore. Ranma is still read.
My list of Classics-- Battle Angel Alita, Mai the Psychic Girl, Please Save My Earth, Ramna 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Akira, Rose of Versailles, Nausica, Sailor Moon (not quite old enough but influential as heck, still popular, should hold up).

All the Best,

Nani?

Last edited by Nani? on Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
linlinchan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:02 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
Glory Questor wrote:

I agree on the Ranma1/2, I guess I put and the Clamp work in the catagory of "probable Classics" in the sense that they aren't old enough yet. Inu Yasha, maybe? Check with me five years after the last cartoon network rerun is off the air. If it's still being read, I'll put it in the Clamp pile.
I think a "classic" should be at least 15 years old and still being read or be remembered for a major contribution to Manga. For example, Rose of Versailles is known for what it did to Shoujo but it's not read anymore. Ranma is still read.
My list of Classics-- Battle Angel Alita, Mai the Psychic Girl, Please Save My Earth, Ramna 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Akira, Rose of Versailles, Nausica, Sailor Moon (not quite old enough but influential as heck, still popular, should hold up).

All the Best,

Nani?

All the best,

Nani?

I think this statement is a bit... well, personally biased. For example if you were to say the same thing in Japan, it wouldn't hold any water. Rose of Versailles is still read/watched, known, and loved, but Ranma, for the most part, is not.
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:07 am Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:

I think this statement is a bit... well, personally biased. For example if you were to say the same thing in Japan, it wouldn't hold any water. Rose of Versailles is still read/watched, known, and loved, but Ranma, for the most part, is not.

Your right in the sense that I am probably am off as to what has "held up" in Japan. I will not deny that and yield to your superior knowledge on that point. I freely admit to useing a mostly American standard.
But saying something has to have held up for a long time as Rose of Versailles has or is looked back upon as "this was the first time this trend showed up and was really popular (like the ditzy heroine in Sailor Moon) and picked up by other Manga-ka is probably a good definition of a "classic" as opposed to calling something realitively new like Inu Yasha a "classic".

All the Best,

Nani?

Last edited by Nani? on Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:08 am Reply with quote
Oh! My Goddess is and forever shall be one of the great and enduring classics. No matter how many times we see them, there's something fresh, positive, and downright good about Keiichi and Belldandy.
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:14 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Oh! My Goddess is and forever shall be one of the great and enduring classics. No matter how many times we see them, there's something fresh, positive, and downright good about Keiichi and Belldandy.

To which I heartily agree.

All the best,

Nani?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

Yes, if not for the enduring characters then for Fujishima's amazing ability to keep a long manga fresh (as well as the depth of the mythological references).
As for Shojo Classics, Banana Fish is certainly an important one.
If you want series that I think will become classics, there are many of them. Monster stands out at the top of the list for its unconventional approch and mindblowing story. Vagabond will certainly be remembered for its amazing storytelling and portrail of feudal Japan. While it probobly won't have the influence of the prievious two, Blade of the Immortal has shown that even only being ten years old it can influence other mangas, as I've seen other neo-historical dramas with strong Blade influence. And the portrial of characters (and mastery of storytelling) will certainly be remembered. Same for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and maybe even Gantz. And of course Gon has already established itself as a pop cuture icon, so it could already be considered a classic. I'm sure Cardcaptor Sakura and One Piece will be loved for generations to come as well.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:03 am Reply with quote
Dang, Rumiko series has already been brought up. Razz

Lupin III, outside most fans, to include myself wasn't born doing it ran, should be a classic (since some, to, once again, include myself, consider anything 10 years as classsic.). And not becasuse it is old on top of that. If you seen Lupin on TV or DVD there is something to note, Lupin does most of the work himself. Jigan and Gemon doesn't lend a hand to the last 2 or 3 volumes. Other then that, the comedy and action is still there that can be found it anime counterpart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
linlinchan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:06 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

If you want series that I think will become classics, there are many of them. Monster stands out at the top of the list for its unconventional approch and mindblowing story. Vagabond will certainly be remembered for its amazing storytelling and portrail of feudal Japan.

I think that Vagabond may be hindered in the future if it is never finished. And at this time it seems as though it really may never be finished.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
Can't believe I'm the first to say this, but Dragon Ball, especially in terms of shonen manga.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, I consider most of the works by Osuma Tezkua, Shotaro Ishinomori, and Leiji Matsumoto to be classic. Lupin III was a good reccomendation also. I want to read some Go Nagi to see what its like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3