• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse to Publish Thumbelina by Moetan Artist POP

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Dark Horse? Shocked
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!11111

Awesome, awesome news. I decided not to buy the original japanese versions due to the hellish shipping costs.

This is so bought.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Eeeee!! Oh man, I loved these POP art recreations as soon as I saw 'em so long ago! I'm so happy the book's been licensed now! Oooh! Now I just hope they'll release the Little Red Riding Hood and Alice In Wonderland stories, too! I'm SO buying the whole set! Anime hyper
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy much manga, but consider this a day one purchase. <3 Now, just bring out the others~ *_*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Dark Horse? Shocked

You don't know of Dark Horse? They've released some of the best English-translated manga, like Akira and Eden, plus great American comics like Perry Bible Fellowship and Empowered. A company that puts out some truly quality, niche, and risky stuff. One of the more unique companies in the business.

(Well, plus they put out the Aliens and Aliens vs Predator omnibuses...)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Seriously Dark Horse?

Thumbelina before Vinland Saga?

Moe before vikings, blood, and epic battles?

What happened to you Dark Horse? You used to be cool.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Dark Horse? Shocked

You don't know of Dark Horse?

Uh ... v1cious knows about Dark Horse. He's just shocked (as am I) that Dark Horse picked this series up. They certainly don't have a reputation for picking up cutesy fluff.

Megiddo wrote:
Thumbelina before Vinland Saga?

I agree. Vinland Saga seriously needs to be brought over. Dark Horse would be a great fit.

But ... if they're gonna license stuff like Thumbelina ... then perhaps not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
serephita

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Dark Horse? Shocked

You don't know of Dark Horse? They've released some of the best English-translated manga, like Akira and Eden, plus great American comics like Perry Bible Fellowship and Empowered. A company that puts out some truly quality, niche, and risky stuff. One of the more unique companies in the business.

(Well, plus they put out the Aliens and Aliens vs Predator omnibuses...)

They also do Buffy Season 8 comics, as well as Buffy Omnibus, Star Wars Omnibus, and Angel Omnibus volumes. *is a nerd who works in a book store*

edit: this manga looks adorable. :3 Totally buying it when its available!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Addendum and clarification:

Thumbelina is the third installment of POP Wonderland series. The first and the second are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Little Red Riding Hood, respectively.

Quote:
Michiyo Hayano wrote this first book in Dark Horse's planned POP Wonderland Series.

The sentence sounds a bit like Dark Horse had participated the creation of this series. As far as I know that had not been the case, so I assume the sentence was just referring to the fact that Dark Horse will publish other installments as well and collect them as POP Wonderland series.

Copyright notice on my Thumbelina:

serephita wrote:
edit: this manga looks adorable. :3 Totally buying it when its available!

It is not a manga but a story book with POP's illustrations which serves innocent young children and diehard moe fans equally well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Considering Dark Horse licensed Ah My Goddess, Your Under Arrest and several other interesting series, I am extremely surprized the company licensed this sugary moe work. Come on Dark Horse, even ADV can do better than this. That is saying a ton, given ADV's lack of manga release's.

I'll admit I've become slightly less judgement about moe because of Lucky Star, but this ridicious.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I love POP, and I'll be looking into that Little Red Riding Hood one, since that's one of my favorite stories.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:21 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Considering Dark Horse licensed Ah My Goddess, Your Under Arrest and several other interesting series, I am extremely surprized the company licensed this sugary moe work. Come on Dark Horse, even ADV can do better than this. That is saying a ton, given ADV's lack of manga release's.

I'll admit I've become slightly less judgement about moe because of Lucky Star, but this ridicious.

A problem of you guys is that because you've known POP as the original character designer of Moetan (and her lewd companion duck). If you've never known any of his works then this POP Wonderland series is very benign and innocent. The text is an abridged version of the original (just 32 pages) so there's nothing remotely related to the recent surge of moe trend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Yesss!!! Frog-on-moe violence! Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

A problem of you guys is that because you've known POP as the original character designer of Moetan (and her lewd companion duck). If you've never known any of his works then this POP Wonderland series is very benign and innocent. The text is an abridged version of the original (just 32 pages) so there's nothing remotely related to the recent surge of moe trend.
You might have just deflated their expectations with this. I get the feeling they were looking for these classic fairytales to be retold with a Moetan flavour drizzled all over them. Wink
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

You might have just deflated their expectations with this. I get the feeling they were looking for these classic fairytales to be retold with a Moetan flavour drizzled all over them. Wink

Ah, I always love when people claim to know what other people expect. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2