• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Oscars

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
As I predicted, GiTS didn't stand a chance. They will not nominate even a film of the caliber of Wings of Honneamise, because there is a preset "disney" mold to fit into.

Wonderful Days is not anime, but it also wasn't released in this country officially, and wouldn't be eligable even if it stood a ghost of a chance of nomination. To be eligable for an Academy Award it must be released here within a year of its original release. (that's what killed Mononoke from consideration)
vherub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Having watched innocence, and enjoyed it, I do not know if it would have been anything more than a token nod to anime. The animation itself tips towards the spectacular, but the rest is not of the highest stock.
That being said, the rules governing the oscars are very much skewed towards america- and until this changes i will not have much faith in the oscars in terms of recognizing international excellence.
A movie should be eligible for an award in the year it's impact was most felt, it is far too easy for international films to fall into a no man's land. Additionally, they should increase the number of slots above 3, that does not mean they must find 4 or 5 every year, but there should be the possibility of more titles as most categories allow.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Innocence: GitS2 got such a limited release that hardly any important critics noticed it and, as a result, it had zero momentum, and, for a foreign animated film, critical momentum is necessary to get the attention of the Academy members who might not otherwise be aware of it due to lack of mainstream publicity. Spirited Away had momentum. The Triplets of Belleville had momentum. Innocence was D.O.A.

Sword of Whedon wrote:
To be eligable for an Academy Award it must be released here within a year of its original release. (that's what killed Mononoke from consideration)

You mean for Best Foreign Film. For the other categories, the Academy grants an extra year for films originally released outside of the United States, so Howl's Moving Castle will be eligible next year, as will Steamboy (though I think Steamboy likely won't get a nod because, even if it gets momentum, it's being released too early in the year for the momentum to be sustainable and it will be a distant memory once The Corpse Bride and The Wallace and Gromit Movie are in theatres this fall). Needless to say, it's moot for me to split hairs over Mononoke's chances in other categories besides Best Foreign Film, since Best Animated Feature didn't exist at the time, and, realistically, there's no way it would have gotten nominated for anything else... even Best Score would be a pipedream.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
That's okay, so nothing when this year, it's not too big a deal, especially since Howl's Moving Castle should be nominated for next year, and I'm pretty sure Steamboy should have a shot next year as well...
JackBassV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
The list of entrants is pathetic.

While Shrek 2 and the Incredibles are okay, they're not exactly award winning films.

It appears to be another case of the AFI being xenophobic, and ignoring superior foreign films.

JBV^_^
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
You've gotta wonder whether suddenly, the decision to begin awarding a Best Animated Feature Oscar really does not look like the best of ideas, seeing as how none of the three films nominated are, well, 'animation' as it has been understood for the entire history of cinema...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
vherub wrote:
Additionally, they should increase the number of slots above 3, that does not mean they must find 4 or 5 every year, but there should be the possibility of more titles as most categories allow.

2003 had 5 nominees in the Best Animated Feature category, but they didn't have the number of eligible animated films this year needed for there to be more than three slots in the category.

And the Academy Awards are mainly American awards, so, of course, the nominees will be skewed towards Americans. It's exactly the same situation for the main movie awards in most other countries, that the nominees are skewed towards their own domestic market. The awards given at given at places like Cannes and Venice, where films from all countries are roughly on equal footing, are film festival awards, not domestic industry awards like the Oscars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Schunoko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, please. Just because it's anime doesn't make it instantly a superior product. GiTS 2 was HORRIBLE! Yes, the animation was gorgeous, but the plot and characterization were awful. It was overly pretentious and dull, save for the last 15 or so minutes, and this coming from someone who LOVED the first movie and the manga. GiTS 2 was an awful movie that just simply didn't deserve to be nominated. Of course, so was Shark Tale...how that one got nominated is beyond my reasoning...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
You've gotta wonder whether suddenly, the decision to begin awarding a Best Animated Feature Oscar really does not look like the best of ideas, seeing as how none of the three films nominated are, well, 'animation' as it has been understood for the entire history of cinema...

That's 'because they didn't have computer-animated features until this past decade. But CGI is just as valid animation as hand-drawn "feature animation".

And hand-drawn and CGI aren't the only games in town; next year, you likely will have at least one, if not two, stop-motion animated films nominated (The Corpse Bride and/or The Wallace and Gromit Movie... remember that Wallace and Gromit are already double Oscar winners for Best Animated Short).
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Spirited Away had momentum. The Triplets of Belleville had momentum. Innocence was D.O.A.

Belleville was also Disney-type mold. Innocence was Sci-Fi mindfuck movie

Quote:
You mean for Best Foreign Film. For the other categories, the Academy grants an extra year for films originally released outside of the United States,

That's what I said. They need to be released here within one year of their original release. Both films were released in the fall in Japan, and will be out here by the end of summer

Quote:
Of course, so was Shark Tale...how that one got nominated is beyond my reasoning...

Never underestimate the power of Studio lobbying. Harvey Scissorhands has a whole display case of naked golden men to prove that one
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
Spirited Away had momentum. The Triplets of Belleville had momentum. Innocence was D.O.A.

Belleville was also Disney-type mold. Innocence was Sci-Fi mindfuck movie

What? Triplets was less Disney-like than even Spirited Away... personally, I thought Triplets was all quirk for the sake of quirkiness with little substance, and I didn't care much for the grotesque character designs, but Academy members seemed to like it enough for it to get nominated. (I honestly would have chosen even Brother Bear over Triplets for the third slot last year, though my pipedream candidate would have been Millenium Actress).
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
The list of entrants is pathetic.

While Shrek 2 and the Incredibles are okay, they're not exactly award winning films.

It appears to be another case of the AFI being xenophobic, and ignoring superior foreign films.

JBV^_^

The AFI doesn't have anything to do with the Oscars. The Oscars are under the control of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

And how is it xenophobia? It just wasn't a very good year for animated movies. I honestly can't think of anything anime or otherwise this past year that I would consider Oscar worthy. Not to mention the animation category has always been more or less an afterthought.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
Not to mention the animation category has always been more or less an afterthought.

Yes, exactly. It's a sideshow category that most Academy members don't give nearly as much consideration to as Best Picture and the main acting and directing categories when picking nominees. In December and early January, they're distracted by the Best Picture hopefuls, so the animated films that get nominated will be either the ones that got the biggest box office over the year or, in the case of Spirited Away and The Triplets of Belleville, the animated films that the influential critics (re: mainly Roger Ebert) are pleading for them not to ignore.
Grico

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to believe there is a serious argument for Shark Tale being in the top 3 of animated movies released this year.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize what was coming out next year for the Academy. Great, my love of Tim Burton will have to fight with my love of Miyazaki. Well, at least next year we're more than likely have more stuff of a higher quality in the category than this year. Does Disney have anything other than their Ghilbi release schedualed for next year?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5