• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Aniplex of America Announces Durarara!! Limited Edition BD Lunch Box Set on October 30th, 2012

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Durarara is good but not $180 good
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:

You don't need to spend that much to get Durarara!! BD, if you don't want to. Pick the right retailer, and you'll spend a bit less. I thought that it was worth quite a bit more...
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
At least it's better than what they charged for Fate/Zero. Razz It's half the price! I think I might just have to get it.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
150$ for good collectors edition? More than okay. 150 only for show on BD, box, booklet and poster? Erm... no, thanks. If only they'd increased price and added some figure (there's a whole bunch of awesome complete figures - Celty, Izaya, Shizuo, you name it!) in this box. But, oh well. At least it's finally on BD.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
150$ for good collectors edition? More than okay. 150 only for show on BD, box, booklet and poster? Erm... no, thanks. If only they'd increased price and added some figure (there's a whole bunch of awesome complete figures - Celty, Izaya, Shizuo, you name it!) in this box. But, oh well. At least it's finally on BD.

That's about how much you'd spend on a collectors edition for any show, these days...people are even lucky if they make collector editions these days. And you know why? People are cheap and see it insane when companies ask $150+ for any DVD/blu-ray set.

And hate to tell you people this...most "Premium" box set only come with a pretty art box. An art box does not stand for a $130 price, like how Media Blaster's Ah My Goddess premium set does. At least Aniplex adds crap to their limited edition releases.

And how I see it, if people are making a fuss over the price of a simple amount of $150, then they're not a real fan of the show. This set is for the hard core fan and that who's money they want.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote

It's neither $180 store price or suggested retail price. It's always the Aniplex titles that people come up with bogus prices for. It even says both prices in the friggin' press release lol.

mewpudding101 wrote:
At least it's better than what they charged for Fate/Zero. Razz It's half the price! I think I might just have to get it.

Fate/Zero is an import. This DRRR!! set is something that is being put together in house. You can't even begin compare the two. Apples and oranges.

Alunimus wrote:

Find me a better collectors edition on our market. Find me a company that will offer you the same discs used in the Japanese release of the series. Find me a company that makes an exclusively designed show box that is worthy of being called "limited edition". Or you could just wait until sells out to check the eBay prices...

Vata Raven wrote:

And how I see it, if people are making a fuss over the price of a simple amount of $150, then they're not a real fan of the show. This set is for the hard core fan and that who's money they want.

Yup. This is basically what it all comes down to. If you look at the price they are offering and cringe then its just not for you. You are still a fan, but not the fan Aniplex is looking for. In no way is this company trying to cheat or dupe anyone with this series. Come October they have given us four different methods of consuming their product: online streaming, DVD sets, televised broadcast, and a BD set. Every fan out there can enjoy it legally with or without spending money.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
That's about how much you'd spend on a collectors edition for any show, these days...

False. NISA's Premium Edition BD sets usually go for about $50 per set at TRSI. So for a 2-cours show like Durarara!!, it would cast about $100 instead of $150. And that would be for a first release. This may be the first NA BD release of Durarara!! but it is the second release of the show over all since the DVD sets came first.

Having said all that, I don't find the $150 (at TRSI) price tag outrageous. That's about $30 more than if I had bought all three DVD sets at TRSI. And I'm a fan of lunchbox packaging...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
More people need to sit their ass down and logically approach the situation. Blood- is a perfect example. He's not the biggest fan of the experimental stuff Aniplex has pulled in the last two years, but he takes in all the facts before determining what or what not to do. The typical trend is being blinded by price. It needs to change.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

That's about how much you'd spend on a collectors edition for any show, these days...people are even lucky if they make collector editions these days. And you know why? People are cheap and see it insane when companies ask $150+ for any DVD/blu-ray set.
The only thing that just confuses me is that it called "Collector's Edition". There's just almost nothing that you can expect from collector's edition. But on the other hand, it's not SO expensive and there is just no other way to get DRRR!! in FullHD.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

The only thing that just confuses me is that it called "Collector's Edition". There's just almost nothing that you can expect from collector's edition. But on the other hand, it's not SO expensive and there is just no other way to get DRRR!! in FullHD.

The term "collectors edition" or "limited edition" are loose ones that has been thrown around over and over again in all regions. It's really up to you to decide if it's worth it or not. In your mind a figure or some sort of character good should be associated with that tag. In my mind, an exclusive box, postcards, booklet, or just a disc of extras should be associated with it.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
False. NISA's Premium Edition BD sets usually go for about $50 per set at TRSI. So for a 2-cours show like Durarara!!, it would cast about $100 instead of $150. And that would be for a first release. This may be the first NA BD release of Durarara!! but it is the second release of the show over all since the DVD sets came first.

And hat do you get with just NISA's premium edition? Just a 30 page art book...that's not much...Funimation even offers those at times. Oh, and not to forget those large ass boxes people seem to...not to like.

Alunimus wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

So, a exclusive tin lunch box, booklet, a double sided poster, AND an extra disc with extras on it...doesn't count as a limited edition release in the anime market? ...Someone is hard to please if that doesn't seem like limited edition to them.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote

It's not even $18 good.

What a boring disappointment. Especially after Baccano! was so amazing.

I also love that their PR release spelled Kari Wahlgren wrong.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
If the price too high but you still want to buy the series, you could buy the manga instead. That's what I'm doing since it's so much cheaper. Although, Isaac and Miria not showing up (yet?) is definitely making me wish I could afford the anime.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It's not even $18 good.

What a boring disappointment. Especially after Baccano! was so amazing.

I HATE it when people bring up Baccano every effing time Durarara comes up! They're each they're own show, stop comparing the two of them!

And I hate Baccano with a passion. It's such a bad anime. How do people like that crap anime like that. All it is is blood and violence with nothing really else going for it. The characters suck, they're not likable in any way, and it's not realist in any way.

And with Durarara, I get likable characters, a strong female lead, realist setting with realist characters. Even Celty is based off a true legend. Hell, even Shizuo's strength makes since because that stuff has been explained before. He's just not a strong man just because the writer made him so. The characters have a lot more work put out into then that crap people call Baccano.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Baccano's characters are all colorful and interesting, charismatic and have presence, and the story actually goes somewhere, has consistent themes, uses every scene just right. Durarara is meandering and dull, and painful to sit through because nothing happens. It does almost nothing with the players in it and just talks the viewer to death for no apparent reason. It's one of the dullest shows I've ever seen. And it has a guy who throws vending machines, and even he's boring!

Baccano is one of the best anime made in years, Durarara is completely forgettable.

Oh yeah, and "it's not realist"? What does that mean? Realistic? Or the Realism movement? Because if it means "realistic", a headless woman who uses an iPod to talk is not exactly "realist".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2