• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: From Up on Poppy Hill's English-Subtitled Trailer Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Someone please tell me they don't end up in love or in a relationship. It's bothersome enough when anime has cousins interested in each other, but this would take the cake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
Someone please tell me they don't end up in love or in a relationship. It's bothersome enough when anime has cousins interested in each other, but this would take the cake.

Maybe they do, and maybe they don't. Watch it, and find out!

If you must know, there are probably a million websites that can spoil it all for you. The movie's been out for a while, and has even had a English-translated release out for a month or two...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
GKids will release the film in North American theaters next March, after holding a run in Los Angeles County for Academy Award qualification in the "November time frame."

I wish Buena Vista had acquired it. Was the implied relationship just too much for them to handle? The rest of the film was fairly tame as far as any explicit or taboo themes, just some kids wanting to save something old and full of character in the face of change and modernization. It's not exactly a deep film, but would have been nice to see in theaters all the same. Given that it's impossible to localize this as not taking place in Japan in the 1960s, you're stuck with keeping the "foreign names." I guess it falls in with Only Yesterday, they don't know the appropriate market in America to aim this at, but it's really closest to Whisper of the Heart in tone, but stays more emotionally grounded. If they wanted to throw around Miyazaki Senior's name in order to help sell it, that's easy when he did the screenplay. You can have your "From Hayao Miyazaki" as a leading title card.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to the English BD release, and it will be interesting to see how the English version turns out with Studio Ghibli, Kathleen Kennedy, and Frank Marshall's involvement.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Given that it's impossible to localize this as not taking place in Japan in the 1960s, you're stuck with keeping the "foreign names."

Didn't BV only de-Japanify a Ghibli movie once, with Arrietty? Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo, The Yamadas and the Cat Returns all retained the Japanese names for characters as far as I recall. Have they really started being weird and localizing everything and I just missed it? :\
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
lol, I feel like they spoiled some stuff in that trailer. Also it makes it seem like its going to be a film about incest, where in my opinion the main theme of the film is completely different. What a crappy trailer.

Also just so you know, I have seen this movie already and it's pretty good. Don't let this trailer steer you away. It's sad this won't receive a wider release like some of the other more recent Ghibli movies but I guess I can understand since it doesn't fit that mainstream feel.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Didn't BV only de-Japanify a Ghibli movie once, with Arrietty? Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo, The Yamadas and the Cat Returns all retained the Japanese names for characters as far as I recall. Have they really started being weird and localizing everything and I just missed it? :\

Even if that was originally based on an English work, that's still their most recent effort, and it still took place in Japan. Maybe it was just easier than the others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1