• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders to Reveal New Strategy, Hastings & Books-A-Million Report Lower Profits

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
They should have more manga promotions.
I'd love to attend a book signing with Range Murata or Suzuhito YASUDA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sentire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
I love my local Borders store. I pray whatever revised "turnaround strategy" they reveal Wednesday can get them back on track. Let's hope it doesn't involve more lay-offs, although I won't hold my breath. It just sickens me.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Lets hope Borders new strategy will not decrease their Manga Inventory, and have more Manga promotions. But somehow I have a feeling it may include closing a few stores or reducing their book and manga inventory. We are in a really bad recession, and its going be awhile before we hear some good news for the U.S. Anime and Manga industry.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
never even heard of books a million until they opened a store near me in novemeber. but damn, this economy is getting more evil by the day it seems
Loganator456

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
I love going to Borders for manga and book stuff. I love it there.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
They should have more manga promotions.

They should, but it's not gonna happen. It also looks like you can't Special order books anymore unless you pay for it.

A certain Tween book also is to blame as well.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
It also looks like you can't Special order books anymore unless you pay for it.

A certain Tween book also is to blame as well.

When is Twilight ever NOT to blame?

I think the only thing keeping Barnes & Noble off this list is that most of them serve Starbucks coffee. They probably make more off of cafe sales nowadays then they do from books, which is sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
I remember glancing over at an article on aol.com that said Borders is considering removing their DVD & CD portions of their stores.

While their DVD selection was never that spectacular (I've never seen much anime sold at my local Borders, and if they had it I could get it cheaper at Suncoast), I will miss their music department. They sold a lot of titles and artists I couldn't get at my local FYE, and am too cheap to spend shipping prices for online.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
I think the only thing keeping Barnes & Noble off this list is that most of them serve Starbucks coffee. They probably make more off of cafe sales nowadays then they do from books, which is sad.

I don't believe so. Book sales will always rack up more at the Barnes & Noble's registers than lattes, macchiatos and scones, when comparing nearly ten thousand or more dollars to just a thousand or less. When the reverse begins to happen, management heads will likely roll and that Barnes & Noble store may be forced to close up shop.

By the way, where are these Hastings and Books-A-Millions stores traditionally located? I can't say I've ever seen one.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:

I don't believe so. Book sales will always rack up more at the Barnes & Noble's registers than lattes, macchiatos and scones, when comparing nearly ten thousand or more dollars to just a thousand or less. When the reverse begins to happen, management heads will likely roll and that Barnes & Noble store may be forced to close up shop.

By the way, where are these Hastings and Books-A-Millions stores traditionally located? I can't say I've ever seen one.

Possibly. All I know is on an ordinary day I see longer lines at the in-store Starbucks at my local B&N then I do at the registers.

I've seen a few Books-A-Millions throughout Florida, though I can only recall being in one once. I've never heard of Hastings before now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
I worked at both Books-A-Million and Barnes & Noble, so here's a little insight:

Cafe sales at Barnes & Noble will never dominate sales percentage in a store, because if they did, then the store would be so ridiculously under the sales goals that it would be closed down. The cafe is important to the overall strategy, yes, but if it's the anchoring department, things are going really badly.

I have nothing postive to say about Books-A-Million, so I'll make it brief: they should channel their focus into making it a purely Conservative-Christian bookstore, because that's the department we seemed to push the most. This wasn't just in my region, though; since they're based in the South, they took advantage of the prevailing attitude across that swath of the country and unofficially advertised that as their "specialty department."
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
I love my local Borders store. I pray whatever revised "turnaround strategy" they reveal Wednesday can get them back on track. Let's hope it doesn't involve more lay-offs, although I won't hold my breath. It just sickens me.

Took the words right outta my mouth, hon.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I did like all the sales I got for books and manga. buying those large 70$ photobooks but at 40% off really helps a collage student budget
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Barnes & Noble, but as an avid bibliophile, librarian, and--obviously--manga lover, any bookstore closing is only a bad thing. Especially when it moves out to the whole chain. >_>; Hopefully they get back on track, and soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Not good news. Let's all support our local Borders. I buy all my manga there. At least they're revealing "a new strategy," which sounds hopeful, like they're expecting to survive this recession - instead of announcing the company's complete demise. THAT would really, really suck! Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2