• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-03]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
For tropes: I love a good old fashion shoujo 'get together' story, complete with playing hard to get and plenty of awkward moments and such. If done well I can absolutely get sucked in like no one's business. I get bored after the couple gets together most of the time with shoujo (with a few exceptions) One of the reasons I disliked High school debut was because it had such potential to be a fun get together story, and then they... got together, and the rest was kind of lame :/
DarkSaiyan00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
just my 2 cents on the responses to last week's answerfan (regarding remaking full metal alchemist)

from what i heard, they aren't remaking the whole thing from scratch or remastering it like what dbz and evangelion are doing.

this time they are sticking with the plot the manga has, which has some similarities to the first anime series, but MANY difference. I agree that the first series was excellent, and the don't have to change it, but the manga took a side route and is just as good if not better. This is more of a pure adaptation, and people should just think of it as an "alternate universe" like with the tenchi muyo series, instead of a remake.
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? No one else is going to say it?

I loved Brian's segment in the talent show!!! You definitely deserved to win....now if only I can stop laughing... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh thank heavens there's someone else out there who'd like a remake of Chrono Crusade! I hated the ending to that without having even read the manga (don't want to give spoilers, so I won't go into why), and after reading the manga, I hated it even more because the manga was so wonderful.

Good discussion on fansubs as necessary evils, that a term I've used before myself. As much as I've used them in the past, I love that companies are getting into online streaming so that they aren't as necessary anymore.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to remakes of series based on an original manga, I'm savvy enough to realize it's not likely because the original creator insisted on a redo, and is most likely a cash grab at the right opportunity, with the side effect of pleasing some of the fans who may have been displeased with a previous series that wasn't very faitfhul. Or at least, this is how I feel in the case of Fullmetal Alchemist, which which I have mutual admiration of both the manga and original series.

I understand the precedent it creates, which could be detrimental to the industry as far as creative output. Even if there is an outcry for closer adaptations of manga that were different in their anime versions, if studios just continually remake anime that were already released it means that they aren't working on anything new. This concerns me because I'd rather see a new animation project than another reworking of a series that already aired so recently.

Remakes aren't necessarily a new thing, though. Just look at the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy back in the 80s.

I don't necessarily think, either, that the anime version of a story need be entirely faithful to the letter of its source, either. It's an interpretation. I particularly felt like Seiji Mizushima, under the specific request of Hiromu Arakawa, guided the story of Fullmetal Alchemist in an interesting new direction.

However, it is nice to get a new series that's just like the manga. It's hardly necessary, but it's nevertheless exciting.

I wouldn't mind a remake of Tenchi Muyo's third OVA. A complete one, without Noike, Tennyo, or Airi. One with Tenchi's mother not being crazy. God, what was Kajishima thinking?

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:54 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mixie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean to start a fight but Toradora! was anything but lowkey. Admitting you watched the subs and then trying to back it up with something so transparent just makes the whole thing look even worse.

Toradora! was by far the biggest slice of life show to air last season, the fan response was gigantic in many countries. There is no way the show will not get a license.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Oh, I certainly HOPE Toradora gets licensed... It seemed to be really popular... Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Bika-chan wrote:
Seriously? No one else is going to say it?

I loved Brian's segment in the talent show!!! You definitely deserved to win....now if only I can stop laughing... Laughing

Is Kevin based off of him?! Laughing

neocloud9 wrote:
Oh, I certainly HOPE Toradora gets licensed... It seemed to be really popular... Confused

Haruhi was really popular. Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Noir and .hack//SIGN only have a few good songs?

I'll admit that "Key to the Twilight", "Fake Wings", and "In the Land of Twilight" play pretty much constantly in .hack//SIGN. But that doesn't mean you can ignore such great songs as "Aura", "End of the World", and "A Stray Child".

The same can be said with Noir and the repetition of "Canta Per Me", "Salva Nos", and "Melody" in Noir. Yet there are also gems like "Secret Game", "Corsican Corridor", and "Le Grande Retour".

Seriously, you should really sit down and listen to the Noir and .hack//SIGN OSTs before you comment on their apparent lack of a good selection of songs.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Bika-chan wrote:

You are truly disturbed. Shocked

I would say "Answerman, your friend is f****** s***!", so I guess you successfully deflected attention from your own f****** s***ness, so well played Answerman, well played indeed.

(so, was that basically practice with a green screen or what?)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
You actually go onto 4chan, Brian?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
When it comes to remakes of series based on an original manga, I'm savvy enough to realize it's not likely because the original creator insisted on a redo, and is most likely a cash grab at the right opportunity, with the side effect of pleasing some of the fans who may have been displeased with a previous series that wasn't very faitfhul. Or at least, this is how I feel in the case of Fullmetal Alchemist, which which I have mutual admiration of both the manga and original series.

I understand the precedent it creates, which could be detrimental to the industry as far as creative output. Even if there is an outcry for closer adaptations of manga that were different in their anime versions, if studios just continually remake anime that were already released it means that they aren't working on anything new. This concerns me because I'd rather see a new animation project than another reworking of a series that already aired so recently.

Remakes aren't necessarily a new thing, though. Just look at the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy back in the 80s.

I don't necessarily thing, either, that the anime version of a story need be entirely faithful to the letter of its source, either. It's an interpretation. I particularly felt like Seiji Mizushima, under the specific request of Hiromu Arakawa, guided the story of Fullmetal Alchemist in an interesting new direction.

However, it is nice to get a new series that's just like the manga. It's hardly necessary, but it's nevertheless exciting.

I wouldn't mind a remake of Tenchi Muyo's third OVA. A complete one, without Noike, Tennyo, or Airi. Or Tenchi's mother not being crazy. God, what was Kajishima thinking?

At this point you get remakes every couple of years

Record of Lodoss Wars in the mid 90's
Hellsing
Aaahhhh My Godess!
and now Fullmetal Alchemist

I wouldn't mind increasing that to include say Rurouni Kenshin or Fruits Basket or other anime that has significant portions of the manga unanimated.

The problem is when you have say Yuu Yuu Hakusho where the only thing new would be the animation itself. Yuu Yuu Hakusho is fine as is, you don't need bright new animation. With Rurouni Kenshin only about two volumes of the final 11 where animated, and the ending we did get was horrible. Remaking the thing so we can get the Jinchuu saga and the happy ending would be worthwhile.
CBongo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Once again, we the defenders of Toradora! must unite to make Brian aware of yet another misconception: there's several good fight scenes later in the series. Very Happy
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This has been a question that I have been wondering about, where can I see anime shows on the web legally and how do I find these sites.

There are at least a couple of places which are working on indexing these:
Free Legal Streaming Anime Master List @ Mania/AnimeonDVD forums
"Project -Hedron" Anime-on-demand list (My in-progress pet project which includes pay to watch/download)
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Ah, remakes.

My two cents on the matter: It depends on the show. A remake of Mad Bull 34, Angel Cop, Air Gear (Given its godawful cop-out ending--why, Toei? Why leave us hanging like that?), Cyber City Oedo 808, or Golgo 13? Sure, go right ahead (Some of those could use more episodes anyway). But Fullmetal Alchemist, Fushigi Yuugi, Trigun, Marmalade Boy, Wings of Honneamise, Vampire Hunter D, Cowboy Bebop, Armitage III, Bobby's In Deep, or Akira? Hell no! They're already fine as they are; why try to "improve" on something that's already great?

I bet Bones wants to try to get New Fullmetal Alchemist to tank in the ratings, then go back to Fullmetal Alchemist Classic and make millions. Other than that, there's simply no reason to remake it. So what if the first series strayed from the manga? It's an ADAPTATION, not an imitation! Who the blue hell REALLY wants to watch the same exact story they've already read before?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7