• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The RETURN of the ANN Book Club! Post your suggestions here!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

As some of you may know I'm looking at reviving the ANN Book Club. For those of you that aren't in the know, the BC is here to encourage a more concentrated discussion of an anime series as we all watch a scheduled amount of episodes per week. As an example, we could say:

For the week of May 18th to May 24th we will be watching Episodes 1 to 5... and in the dedicated ANN BC thread we would discuss those episodes usually until the end of the week. However this is not set in stone. If you would prefer we could shorten the week into only several days. This is the purpose of this thread... to suggest how we could make the Book Club better.

I'd really like as many people as possible to take part in the Book Club discussion. I want everyone to understand that the point is to look at the anime from every angle possible, to see everyone's point of view. It doesn't matter what you suggest - just bring it up for the sake of discussion and someone might say they noticed that too or they agree with you.

So to try and make the ANN Book Club as inviting, as accessible as possible I'd like anyone with any suggestions on how to make the book club better to post them here. Shorter discussion week? Do you want to start with a discussion about a movie first, and then make our way to a series? How about if we have a set of five questions that everyone can reply to the thread with their answers:

What did you think of the episodes?
What parts did you dislike about the episodes?
Did you notice anything that others might not have noticed?
What was the most memorable moment of these episodes for you?
What do you think is going to happen next?

Of course replies won't only be confined to these questions, I hope most people will add more to discuss, this is just to help get everyone to contribute to the thread. If you don't like the above questions, feel free to contribute a different one or more!

So using these example suggestions, do you have anything you think that could help this Book Club get you more involved?

And FINALLY if you were to take part in the BC, WHAT ANIME WOULD YOU WANT TO WATCH?

Post your suggestions here!

EDIT: Razz I'd just like to thank JesuOtaku, abunai and daxomni for helping me out with the "what happened to the book club?" question. Also props to JesuOtaku for coming up with the idea in the first place!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
EvanUnisil wrote:
And FINALLY if you were to take part in the BC, WHAT ANIME WOULD YOU WANT TO WATCH?

Post your suggestions here!

Hi EvanUnisil.

I for one would like to see Fullmetal Alchemist being the subject of its own Book Club. Perhaps it is a tad long, but it should be easy to find and not too expensive either. It is also one of the best constructed and executed Anime shows I have ever seen, and I'm not the only one who says that. Besides, with Brotherhood currently airing, it would give me the excuse to go back and re-watch it. I would be interested to know how the first series and Brotherhood differ, and not just regarding the major plot points. I'm talking artistry, direction, emphasis placed on characters et cetera. Yes, we can talk about it in the Brotherhood thread, but those discussions (i.e. arguments) have threatened to derail the thread, which probably wouldn't happen in a Book Club thread.

I don't know, at the end of the day I'm just throwing the name out there to see what people think.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a great idea and I'm glad someone is stepping up and doing something. I was always annoyed that I was just to late in joining to get in on the Book Clubs of old. And I fully support this revival of the idea.

The 5 basic question idea that you mentioned is a good. It seems like something that will easily open up discussions on each episode and encourage everyone to participate.

As for suggestions, I'd say a good one could be Darker Than Black. It was a very good series and it was easy to watch. Also I think allot of people would enjoy the series.

Just as another suggestion, I think the BC idea could be used to get more people into watching some of the older and more forgotten series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, this is an excellent idea! I think watching and discussing five episodes in a week is very doable.

Count me in as a participant (assuming I'm interested in the series and have access to it).
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Just as another suggestion, I think the BC idea could be used to get more people into watching some of the older and more forgotten series.

But any series that gets chosen would have to be readily accessible to people. That is, either by legitimate streaming open to everyone (not just those in North America), or on inexpensive, easy-to-track-down DVDs. Old and obscure series would be hard-pressed to fit those criteria.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:

But any series that gets chosen would have to be readily accessible to people. That is, either by legitimate streaming open to everyone (not just those in North America), or on inexpensive, easy-to-track-down DVDs. Old and obscure series would be hard-pressed to fit those criteria.

Hm... good point. But hopefully in time the legal streaming trend will become wide spread enough that this could be possible.

But this does give me an idea. Why not try series that are available on the ANN streaming services? There are some good ones up for legal viewing right here that could make for good discussion. Though I can't find astro boy on here anymore and that's a shame because it would have been a good one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I second Darker than BLACK (which I've seen three times already, alas). It's a good series with a lot going on beneath the surface, and because so much is left ambiguous, there's lots to discuss.

Also, Monster? I know it's a terribly long show to watch, but it's also very complex, and there's food for thought in every aspect of it, from politics to ethics to human nature to individuality to whether life is equal to whether Johann is forgivable. And then some.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Outside of regular series, I also think that we should have a separate BC dedicated to anime movies. We could watch one movie a week in that one and discuss it there, along with the scheduled series BCs.

I also think that we should lessen the amount of episodes we have to watch in a week during big exam times (because I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of students along with the grown adults), holidays, and such.

Last edited by hypersoda on Sun May 17, 2009 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that some of you guys are suggesting series that aren't completely released yet in the US, if at all. DtB is only up to disc 4 and Monster hasn't been released at all. The past book clubs were for series that can easily be bought or rented or legally streamed, not fansubs.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
If the book clubs are going to be revitalized, there are a few other specific series that I think could benefit from discussion: FLCL and RahXephon. The former is a six episode OVA, which can be easily divided up into two or three different sets. The latter is more extensive, and probably hasn't seen a thread that extensively covers all of the plot nuances and allusions.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I see no problem at all, since ANN is not limited to the US.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The idea was so that all options were available, not just fansubs. If people who do not want to use fansubs, they have the option of buying or renting. If people want to use fansubs, especially because that is the only option available to them, then they can too. That way, all options are covered.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Alright, but if you are adamant about not using fansubs and will therefore not participate in a discussion about an unlicensed anime, it's all the same to you whether other people discuss it or not, no? I don't see the logic in a discussion not taking place because America specifically hasn't licensed something.

Let's say I'm a Romanian kid and that nothing except for Akira is licensed around here. Are you seriously going to limit yourself to Akira because I'm stuck with the fansubs and unwilling to use them?

There's really no point in furthering this discussion. I say that if a series exists, it's open for analysis. If you don't want to participate - don't.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
No, of course not. However, this is largely an R1 website, so if an R1 licensed and fully released anime was picked, then that would maximize the amount of participants.

This is not my thread, but I was just pointing out what was done in the previous book club. The rules, of course, may change with this round.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't see the point in having a rule against discussing a series that is available only through fansubs. This forum is filled with discussion threads about shows that are only available that way (so far).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4