• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: US Howl's Moving Castle Release Set?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
If it's June, then they'd actually have to give it a wide release. And it would probably work as good counter-programming to Batman Begins.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear. I don't want to have to drive 20 miles to see it like with Ghost in the Shell 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This is a Disney licensed release from Studio Ghibli, correct? At least Dreamworks didn't get it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, because Dreamworks would use a random test screening to
intentionally refuse to advertise Howl, place it in theaters no one's heard of, convince Hisaishi to re-write the music and ask Miyazaki if they could dumb down the Japanese references to American equivalents, and pull Howl out of theaters, even though it was making money, while expanding the number of theaters for the
latest Pokemon film, which wasn't making any money.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Aw, thats sweet. Probably be at one of those expensive theaters near me to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yes, because Dreamworks would use a random test screening to
intentionally refuse to advertise Howl, place it in theaters no one's heard of, convince Hisaishi to re-write the music and ask Miyazaki if they could dumb down the Japanese references to American equivalents, and pull Howl out of theaters, even though it was making money, while expanding the number of theaters for the
latest Pokemon film, which wasn't making any money.

Oh, and also give it some really poor looking DVD case art and not even use the good subs that was used on screen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tovath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the random screening, but if they tried to change anything they wouldn't have a contract anymore. Why do you think we got a good version from Disney?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi:
Quote:
Oh, and also give it some really poor looking DVD case art

Yes, that Princess Mononoke cover with Ashitaka's flashing sword is a real beauty.

Quote:
and not even use the good subs that was used on screen.

At least they used accurate subs, which is more than I can say for Avalon and Hero.

Tovath:
Quote:
I don't know about the random screening,

Ask someone about the Minneapolis test screening which is to "blame" for Mononoke getting screwed.

Quote:
but if they tried to change anything they wouldn't have a contract anymore.

They have, and they've succeeded, as long as they consulted Miyazaki. They changed the song to Kiki in the dub, used Joe Hiaishi to add to the Laputa score in the dub, and Miyazaki even allowed John Lasseter to do whatever he wanted to Spirited Away.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU!!! I was referring to Dreamworks, not Disney... Rolling Eyes
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Howl's Moving Castle is well worth the wait. I saw it when I was in Tokyo during Christmas. I'll probably watch it again in Hsinchu before Lunar New Year. I will probably wait until I come back to the US to see the film as an english Subbed version.

Unless Ghibli is kind enough to release a Region 2 DVD that has english subtitles.

Disney should dam well plaster this film. It deserves the respect. Since it is based on an english book. I don't think Disney will Dumb it down. Though that is asking too much.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UltraManiac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I saw Howl's Moving Castle already, and I am going to also have the offical DVD when it comes out this month. Maybe I will show it to my friends when I get it. I think it will have English subtitles in it just like my copy of Spirited Away did. It's great and I recommend it for everyone. Rolling Eyes Smile

Maybe if I show it to them, they don't have to spend the money to watch it bcause I will have my own official copy of it on DVD this month.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I'll let my mom know.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Now this is the kind of anime I'd like to go see. So naturally, it won't be showing within 50 miles of where I live...
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
This is a little OT, but a lot of people on this forum have mentioned in passing that Spirited Away was changed a lot by Pixar. Could someone either tell me what was changed or send me a link about it or something? I am ignorant about this.

I am super excited to see Howl. I hope it will finally get the attention and publicity a Ghibli movie (or any good, but overlooked anime movie) deserves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
This is a little OT, but a lot of people on this forum have mentioned in passing that Spirited Away was changed a lot by Pixar. Could someone either tell me what was changed or send me a link about it or something? I am ignorant about this.

I am super excited to see Howl. I hope it will finally get the attention and publicity a Ghibli movie (or any good, but overlooked anime movie) deserves.

Pixar didn't touch Spirited Away. However, I do happen to notice the red tint they [Disney] added to it to make it look better on plasma TV's/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2