• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Rock English Cover Album to Ship in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
english cover....? lol no thanks

I've yet to hear a single good english cover of ...any song that wasn't already in english. The reasons I like the songs better in other languages is because english has terrible flow...which kills a lot of english music for me.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Show me more sights! I want live action!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Will Andrew W.K. throw in a bunch of random "PARTY HARD!" lines into the covers?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
I did always think the Gundam Theme song should be "Ready to die"
You better get ready to die! You better get ready to kill! you better get ready to run because here we come-- you better get ready to die!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maxjenius81

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I've yet to hear a single good english cover of ...any song that wasn't already in english. The reasons I like the songs better in other languages is because english has terrible flow...which kills a lot of english music for me.

I recommend you investigate both Richie Kotzen's Ai Senshi ZxR album and Andrew WK's already existing version of Ai Senshi.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

One Piece's English OPs are pretty good.

Andrew WK has been spreading himself around a lot lately. He's practically become a Cartoon Network employee with all the music videos he does on there. I only know his original "Party Hard" song, but he seems like a decent guy. I'd be interested to hear his Gundam covers.

Do we know how recently his covers will go? Can we expect to hear some Gundam 00 covers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RogueJedi86"]
Kougeru wrote:

Are you talking the Funimation release or 4Kids (or whomever did the first English dub)?

4Kids - it was pretty bad

Funimation - I was really, REALLY surprised by that one. However it was an original song written and sung by Vic Mignogna.

If this is a new song, it might be okay. If it's merely an English translation, then I wouldn't hold my breath.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Hahah oh wow... I'm totally getting this. I mean this cover has gotta be over the top.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
maxjenius81 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I recommend you investigate both Richie Kotzen's Ai Senshi ZxR album and Andrew WK's already existing version of Ai Senshi.

I reccomend you not remind me of those awful, awful covers of fine Gundam songs.

They're even worse than when Gackt did his versions of the songs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Andrew WK has been spreading himself around a lot lately. He's practically become a Cartoon Network employee with all the music videos he does on there. I only know his original "Party Hard" song, but he seems like a decent guy. I'd be interested to hear his Gundam covers.

Do we know how recently his covers will go? Can we expect to hear some Gundam 00 covers?

Yeah, he's also got that show on CN called "Build Destroy Build" or something like that... I enjoy his appearances on Red Eye, he's pretty funny & does seem like a genuine nice guy. I guess I'm intrigued to hear at least samples of the covers - I wonder how seriously he takes them??

"Party Hard" was a fun song & still stands up (if only for novelty), it's the song they play whenever the Green Bay Blizzard scores a touchdown at home games in the af2 league. I always thought Andrew WK was an odd mating of Metallica with the B-52's & Weird Al Yankovic with production work done by Jim Steinman (Meat Loaf) Laughing
Polly E.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
I always thought Andrew WK was an odd mating of Metallica with the B-52's & Weird Al Yankovic with production work done by Jim Steinman (Meat Loaf) Laughing

That's....probably the best description of Andrew WK I've ever heard and certainly most accurate.
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Dear Andrew:

Do you even know what you're doing anymore?
sdhd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Who is Andrew W.K? Never heard of him. Please don't tell me to goggle (Sarcasm). I bought Gundam Seed karaoke songs perfomed by a girl from itunes. The names of the songs were listed as Gundam Wing. I wish itunes would sell the genuine Gundam Seeds/Wing etc. songs instead of karaoke version.
Brakus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

Bite your tongue. They've been pretty hit-or-miss to me. "We Are" is okay and "Hikari E" is passable, but "Believe (In Wonderland)" and "Bon Voyage" are atrocious in English.
PMDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
He could do fine just singing the Z Gundam themes that were in English to start with.

Here's one of them: http://www.imeem.com/people/zG8clC/music/aa8vp2ob/neil-sedaka-better-days-are-coming

Admittedly, the anime version used in Z Gundam ended up being slightly different. The melody is the same.

Other than that, there already were English versions of the Gundam 0083 and X Gundam themes, and maybe F91.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2