• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Moyashimon Episodes 1-11 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
I was really confused at first; I thought this was the review of season two, given that it recently aired.

I am annoyed that this season was so often compared to season two. I could understand talking about the first season of something when doing a review of the second, but the other way around? There's no need to talk about the second season, and it has no impact or relevancy to the first (since anyone new to the franchise won't have watched the second; perhaps not even the first season either). But most irritating, the two seasons were compared to one another something like five times throughout the review. The title says "Review: Moyashimon Episodes 1-11 Streaming", not "Comparison Review: Moyashimon Season 1 and Season 2".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote
I agree on more college anime, we've have a good lot of fun ones like Genshiken, Ah! My Goddess, Ai Yori Aoshi... My biggest problem with high school anime is that decisive lack of what works in western high school dramas, and real life. Like the complete lack of car culture, drug culture, counterculture, sex culture. You don't have two loser kids trying to get laid by bringing booze to a house party. For all of the "high school" anime we get, everything is so clean and neat: they go to class, do club activities, and go on field trips. That's it. You can say that TV and movies don't reflect real life, but if you remove the hyperbole, something like Superbad hits really close to experiences we did or could have had. I hope high school anime aren't as close, but from all I've read and heard, it's a pretty dreadfully stressful time in life. Maybe that's why they reflect on it so much, they're vicariously living through their works because all they did was study, go to cram school, and not much else.

On the flip side, we just never see college represented in the same fashion. Or when we do, the focus is always on something more specific than general college life. We don't see characters living in dorms or attending keggers. That's a shame.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Tatami Galaxy and Honey and Clover when listing college anime.

I agree that more college (even post-college!) anime would be welcome. College life, with its first steps into adulthood and independence, would be much more interesting than the same round of club activities and cultural festivals (even if the college experience is not as universal as the high-school one --- and I imagine the Japanese anime audience is dominated by schoolkids, not adults, so high-school stuff is more relevant than college stuff for them).

Moyashimon made a good choice focussing on an agricultural school --- the slightly odd setting gives another focus for the action. The characters have projects as opposed to papers. I imagine art schools (Honey and Clover) and technical schools (I can't think of any anime off hand) would serve as well. Though, again, Tatami Galaxy showed you can do okay with an ordinary college, too.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Though, again, Tatami Galaxy showed you can do okay with an ordinary college, too.

Though the college may have been mostly normal, the people were anything but.

Tatami Galaxy is such an awesome show.

MOTHS
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I imagine art schools (Honey and Clover) and technical schools (I can't think of any anime off hand) would serve as well.

Nekomi Institute of Technology, from Ah! My Goddess. You don't see much college life beyond the Auto Club's antics, or occasionally Keiichi going to and from lectures. College anime are definitely more about post-high school life than actual college life, if that line of reasoning makes any sense. I'd say it's more akin to Japanese high school+ than any college experiences you receive at a big university in North America, insofar as anime portrays it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I imagine the Japanese anime audience is dominated by schoolkids, not adults, so high-school stuff is more relevant than college stuff for them).

The post-midnight anime stuff on school nights? Not so much.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
College anime are definitely more about post-high school life than actual college life, if that line of reasoning makes any sense. I'd say it's more akin to Japanese high school+ than any college experiences you receive at a big university in North America, insofar as anime portrays it.

Japanese tend not to be as invested to their colleges whether be sports, alumni, research, paraphernalia, apparels, fight songs, etc.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dm wrote:
I imagine the Japanese anime audience is dominated by schoolkids, not adults, so high-school stuff is more relevant than college stuff for them).

The post-midnight anime stuff on school nights? Not so much.

I always assumed the "viewers" of those shows were largely DVRs and other recording devices. Unfortunately for anime producers Japan's television ratings agency doesn't count DVRs like Nielsen does in the US. I suspect Konata's lament in Lucky*Star about how a late-running baseball game messed up her anime recordings has some real-life referents.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile is another college anime. I am still bitter that never came over here & the manga was never completely released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1