• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Fresh Blood

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Eh, first post, maybe? Shocked This is new.

Anyway, I really like Erin's first shot on Shelf Life. She has pretty different tastes from Bamboo...really different tastes, I think, from what I can tell. So I think this is going to be an interesting column. I like how she points out which types of people might like the show near the end, which Bamboo often did as well, but it's a trend I love to see continue.

Best of luck Shelf Lifeing it, Erin! Very Happy

And I loooooooooooooooooooove School Rumble too. I was never very sure if that's because it was good or because it was bad. I guess it must be because it's stupid...in a clever way? Now my brain is just rumbled. Anime dazed
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
You see? I told you I'd make you a better hero through tragedy. That day has come, for now you must watch EVERYTHING. Just fix the two "the's" in "Like the The Wire" and add the extra "e" in "Leroy Jenkins" to make it "Leeroy Jenkins," (this is CRITICAL), and you'll be on your way!

This talk about how Black Lagoon parallels real-world events is interesting. Perhaps you should release a podcast about it!

I'm impressed by that guy's Fallout 3 powered armor suit. Though as I see that figurine of Poison I can't help but wonder "one of these things is not like the others..." even though I chalk that whole thing up to crazy US instruction manual mistranslations that they just didn't feel like owning up to as a mistake. I guess it's official now though, as Wikipedia the Infallible tells no lies.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Life-size Brotherhood Power Armor from Fallout 3?! The only thing that could be more awesome than that is life-size Enclave Hellfire Power Armor from Fallout 3. Razz
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Heh the first thing when I saw the Fallout powersuit was "that person DEFINATELY works at Gamestop" (before I read it), since I saw the statue at Gamestop Hollywood.
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
So glad someone is telling others about how fun School Rumble is. It's one of my favorite High School shows.

@Michael
I know this might be one of Bill Engvall's "here's your sign" questions, but did you name your daughter after Kino from Kino's Journey?

P.S.

Not going to start a debate, but I find it a little funny to hear how anime creator should get their just dues from someone who manages a store that survives on the sales of used games. How much of that profit gets kicked back to developers?

Last edited by The Count on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
She has pretty different tastes from Bamboo...really different tastes, I think, from what I can tell.

Do you think so? I usually agree (agreed?) with Bamboo's ratings - I even liked Please Twins and watched the entire thing.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Best of luck Shelf Lifeing it, Erin! Very Happy

Hooray! Thanks!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the column, Erin. Smile I like your writing style so far; it's obviously different from Bamboo's, but I really enjoyed how you broke down each of the series detail-by-detail and included descriptions of a few notable scenes. Black Lagoon in particular has been practically screaming "Buy me!!!" ever since I first learned about it, but I haven't had the chance to do so yet. I'm looking forward to seeing you in action each week.

(That must have been one hell of a wedding.)

I'm really digging those shelves; awesome statue there. I echo the sentiments about American licensors, only I'll leave out the part about having enough disposable income to avail myself of them. Razz

(Almost forgot, but I loved the heck out of Kids Next Door. It's awesome that you helped make it happen. Very Happy )

Last edited by Top Gun on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
I personally can't stand School Rumble but maybe if I watched it a few years ago I might have loved it. Kinda like how Bamboo loved Love Hina at first. Maybe if I start with season 2, I might like it XP

I'll admit I enjoy the catchy opening song from season 1 though...
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
...my favorite anime titles are Hayao Miyazaki's films, anything by Satoshi Kon, Shinichiro Watanabe's works, and the finer stuff from Gainax; His and Her Circumstances, Evangelion, and Gurren Lagann. I love Genshiken, Ghost in the Shell, NANA, Golgo 13, and Princess Tutu...

Ah, thanks for posting this. It always takes me a while to find a critic/reviewer who has similar tastes. Anyway, great first column. Welcome to ANN.

ps (assuming your reading the forums) which Satoshi Kon work is your favorite?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
By Golgo, do you mean the recent show, or the Dezaki stuff?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Ok, the Shelf Obsessed picture with a full sized model of a Brotherhood of Steel suit from Fallout thoroughly impressed me.
hakojo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe Black Lagoon has managed to stay under my radar for so long - it sounds like the kind of show I'd totally love. I've heard about it, but I never really bothered to add it to the Netflix queue before now. This must be rectified.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
That steel suit is awesome. looks like something I'd have (or make).

I never thought I'd see a short-haired Mai wallscroll. I'm not a big fan of the look myself (namely the execution in the actual game), and most of the fanart tells me I'm not alone (though I have seen one drawing that makes it look good). Rather rare item there.

Welcome aboard, Erin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
oriana3k

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
I'm a dork who actually went and looked up this space wedding. I like how you guys have anime on your amazon wedding registry. Cool
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Personally, I could never get that into Black Lagoon. It's somewhat good I suppose. (Especially when you compare it to a lot of other stuff). Still, unlike Firefly or Cowboy Bebop to which it's frequently compared it lacks a certain uniqueness and sense of style as well as the memorable characters that made those shows really great. I also found it never really committed to the concept of gritty realism. It's still full of all the old inherently unrealistic action flick cliches. Characters are all assigned an arbitrary 'strength'. Revy is pretty much invincible because being the hero, she is the 'strongest'. That really doesn't mean anything specific. It's not like she actually does anything tangible to make her so good in a gunfight. She just always wins because it wouldn't be as cool if she was more or less, just as easy to kill as everyone else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6