Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dungeon Hacking


Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hentai_JP



Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 605
Location: Toronto, ON
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
As soon as I realized you haven't even seen first season of Clannad my anger that you put AS in "rental shelf" vanished completely and I stopped reading right there. Without seeing original there is no point in watching sequel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
jenthehen



Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 644
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
As soon as I realized you haven't even seen first season of Clannad my anger that you put AS in "rental shelf" vanished completely and I stopped reading right there. Without seeing original there is no point in watching sequel.


I disagree ... the first season was incredibly weak in plot, IMO. The second half of After Story is really the only part that is worthwhile for me. And then the ending re-set ruins any emotional depth that had been there at all :/

I just do NOT understand everyone's obsession with Clannad. It is the weakest of the 3 key visual novels to anime series (Clannad, Air, Kanon). It feels the most harem-y (it even has the "no eat MY food, Tomoya!" scene in the first season!) The arcs are too choppy (too much like a visual novel game would be, and not so much like a fluent anime / show). Also, Clannad tries way too hard to be sad ... it's like they thought "Wow, that sad shit was really awesome in Air and Kanon ... let's do that ... only this time, we won't make the effort to have the audience care about the characters first!" Arrghh!!!

Air and Kanon are not perfect, but I much prefer them to Clannad. If only Air had been given 24 episodes, it could have been amazing.

Kanon is my favorite. The arcs and characters interact and intertwine in a way that brings the entire story together as a whole, rather than it feeling like arcs in a dating sim. The major theme in Kanon also connects throughout all the characters. Yes, Clannad has the theme of "family" ... but ... it's just poorly executed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7791
Location: IL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
So… Clannad ~After Story~. It's based on a dating sim.

Typically I'd understand mistakes like this. However, you have the term visual novel in the introduction to this very column!

To answer your question, no Mei is not "dateable". Her calling Tomoya "big brother" is a bit weird because "onii-chan" is a very intimate way to refer to one's brother. It's not wrong that Mei called him "big brother", but rather that she used the "chan" honorific instead of the "san" one. Had Mei used onii-san, I doubt Tomoya would have reacted so much. It's silly how much difference an honorific can make, but hey, that's Japan.

Also, who were the two people with obvious sibling complexes? Tomoya has no sibling and Sunohara was obviously more interested in Sanae than Mei.

Sanae gave birth to Nagisa when she was real young. I don't remember the age, but yes, both she and Akio appear rather young.

After Story part 1 in the rental shelf is fine. I just don't like seeing really old-fashioned comments like "dating sim" when regarding Clannad. The term is "visual novel".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egoist



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7762
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
As soon as I realized you haven't even seen first season of Clannad my anger that you put AS in "rental shelf" vanished completely and I stopped reading right there. Without seeing original there is no point in watching sequel.

Well, I guess this would be the reason to put it in "rental shelf":
Erin wrote:
This is a very bare bones release with no dub and no extras. The credits roll silently in English over black after the Japanese end credit sequence is over. To me that says it's for a cult audience. I'm sure 99% of that cult audience reads these forums…


Megiddo wrote:
Also, who were the two people with obvious sibling complexes? Tomoya has no sibling and Sunohara was obviously more interested in Sanae than Mei.

Mm. The class rep. and her sister?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ReiClone88



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 187
Location: Inside a giant tank full of Tang
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Does that Xbox 360 even display properly on that ancient small TV? :/


But regardless... I saw Tetris DS among the DS games! +1 cool points just for owning that gem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2055
Location: Tekkoshocon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
2nd ed? Cool. I play with 4th, and I'll let others debate the merits and flaws of both. Cool

Also, I always thought that the KND numbahs weren't completely arbitrary, but you know more about that than I.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7791
Location: IL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Also, who were the two people with obvious sibling complexes? Tomoya has no sibling and Sunohara was obviously more interested in Sanae than Mei.

Mm. The class rep. and her sister?

You do know what sibling complex means right? Kyou just wanted Ryou to be happy, and she was willing to sacrifice her own feelings for that to happen. Ryou (the class rep)... I don't ever think acted in any strange manner toward her sister. She just did fortune telling and had a huge crush on Okazaki.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the Rancorous



Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 2248
Location: Hunting the Dragon in Gransys
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Also, who were the two people with obvious sibling complexes? Tomoya has no sibling and Sunohara was obviously more interested in Sanae than Mei.

I think she was mainly referring to how 'obsessed' the sisters were with their brothers, not in the romance way. Mei was indeed overly concerned with her brother, as was what's her name, Yukine? The one with the ganster brother? Its something that has become too common and I understand her frustration with it.

jenthehen wrote:
(First season) It feels the most harem-y (it even has the "no eat MY food, Tomoya!" scene in the first season!)

Upon my second viewing of the first season, I really noticed this as well. What I liked about Kanon (and appreciated in Air though I overall didn't care for that one) is that they had the nuanced character setup of a harem, but completely avoided being a harem. After Kotomi's arc Clannad just sort of delves into one.

Personally, I was hoping Erin would have gone off a little more on the gang-arc. I mean, the arc with the dorm mother's cat was lame as hell, but the gang-arc flat out insults the intelligence of the viewer. I mean, spoiler[here we have the younger sister of the leader of a gang, and yet the rival gang (who are desperate to get rid of their rival) makes buddies with her instead of targeting her?] Rolling Eyes Plus, spoiler[they all make peace with each other simply because they made a girl cry.] Those gangs are pussies...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
egoist



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7762
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Also, who were the two people with obvious sibling complexes? Tomoya has no sibling and Sunohara was obviously more interested in Sanae than Mei.

Mm. The class rep. and her sister?

You do know what sibling complex means right? Kyou just wanted Ryou to be happy, and she was willing to sacrifice her own feelings for that to happen. Ryou (the class rep)... I don't ever think acted in any strange manner toward her sister. She just did fortune telling and had a huge crush on Okazaki.

You do know what an interrogation point means right? But yeah, I do know what sibling complex means, but just in case, explain it to us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7791
Location: IL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
For Yukine it's kind of hard to say she has a sibling complex when spoiler[her brother is dead...]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7791
Location: IL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Also, who were the two people with obvious sibling complexes? Tomoya has no sibling and Sunohara was obviously more interested in Sanae than Mei.

Mm. The class rep. and her sister?

You do know what sibling complex means right? Kyou just wanted Ryou to be happy, and she was willing to sacrifice her own feelings for that to happen. Ryou (the class rep)... I don't ever think acted in any strange manner toward her sister. She just did fortune telling and had a huge crush on Okazaki.

You do know what an interrogation point means right? But yeah, I do know what sibling complex means, but just in case, explain it to us.

"Sibling complex" (or brocon/siscon) means that a person is infatuated with and has a physical attraction for their sibling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lemoncookies23



Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 355
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I never saw the first season of Clannad


Then why on earth are you reviewing the second season? Confused

Nice shelves btw, Kirby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Count



Joined: 22 Dec 2008
Posts: 298
Location: Milwaukee,WI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Oh no you didn't Erin. You dare to put Clannad as rental. Not that I care, after somehow surviving the first season there's no way I'm watch AS. But being the nice person that I am, I though I'd give you a warning to brace yourself for one of Mario's insane rants. It will probably be his first one against you but it's going to be a long rant questioning every aspect of you as a person (by now we all know it's coming).

Last edited by The Count on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3903
Location: The OC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Quote:
I never saw the first season of Clannad


Then why on earth are you reviewing the second season? Confused

Nice shelves btw, Kirby.


Because as a reviewer, you sometimes don't have a choice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
egoist



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7762
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
"Sibling complex" (or brocon/siscon) means that a person is infatuated with and has a physical attraction for their sibling.

To me, that looks more like your own definition of "sibling complex". I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just saying your definition is somewhat lacking.
In my case, I'd say the term could be used for "overprotective siblings" and so on. And perhaps, for siblings who care for each other more than necessary, as well.

The Count wrote:
Oh no you didn't Erin. You dare to put Clannad as rental. Not that I care, after somehow surviving the first season there's no way I'm watch AS. But being the nice person that I am, I though I'd give you a warning to brace yourself for one of Mario's insane rants. It will probably be his first one against you but it's going to be a long rant questioning every aspect of you as a person (by now we all know it's coming).

Uh, yeah. I'm surprised I could handle this series until the end. But there were a few rants against it already, and I foresee a lot more to come. But, after all, for action "addicted" people like me, this show is like a torture most of the episodes.


Last edited by egoist on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group