• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tatakau Shisho Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Director Toshiya Shinohara makes a deadly mistake early on by front-loading his budget, raising expectations with a spectacular first episode...

What? Did you not see how completely and utterly atrocious the water was rendered in the first half of episode one?

Carl Kimlinger wrote:
By episode six Hamyuts Meseta too has basically exited the picture...

A piece of constructive criticism; watch all the episodes that have been released thus far before making that sort of claim. Oh, I know it can take some time for the review to go through the editing process (though exactly how long I don't know), but surely not three weeks.

I largely agree with the review and the points Carl makes. It does discard characters like used condoms as soon as it doesn't need them anymore (poor spoiler[Volken]), and the show has disappointed me with the depiction of various characters and plotlines.

On the other hand, I remain impressed with the detailed and intriguing philosophy that the Church uses. How many shows - live-action or animated - create a new and entirely logical* religion? Not many, if any. And there have been some good plot twists so far, which have kept me watching (I'm up to episode nine).

All in all, the show has serious faults, but it has elements that are so good as to keep me going back week after week. Others might not be so forgiving, so definitely a case of Your Mileage May Vary.

Internally speaking. It makes sense when you think about it from the Church's point of view.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

A piece of constructive criticism; watch all the episodes that have been released thus far before making that sort of claim. Oh, I know it can take some time for the review to go through the editing process (though exactly how long I don't know), but surely not three weeks.

Before you condescend, ask questions. Always helps to know what you're talking about before telling someone how they should do things, yes?

As you may have noticed we're running a series of reviews that generally cover streaming series in 5-6 episodes at a time. That's to ensure that we have a new review every day and to provide a nice series of full-length reviews that cover an entire show over time.

He is reviewing the first 6 episodes, not episode 7. or 8. That will come when the eventual review of episodes 7-13 comes along. So please don't "correct" a review when what you're talking about is outside the scope of what's being written.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
The animation in this series does tend to jump around in quality. Thankfully, they have moved away from using the horrible CGI in earlier episodes. The story is interesting in that it seems to be setting things up for something bigger. The meats struggle with individuality and self discovery is interesting to watch. Can someone overcome their nature and raise themselves up or is that just a delusion? Keeping comments contained to the first six episodes is difficult since I've been following the weekly releases. Me saying, "but it gets better" is a hollow retort to a review. So I'll shut up.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
The first clue for me should have been the fact that ALI PROJECT was doing the opening. But I thought "Hey, I still liked Sora Kake Girl. Maybe this'll be different."

I really didn't care for the show anymore by about episode 4. Not just because there was something trying to appeal to everything but it was just so boring doing it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I had sort of the opposite reaction to Carl: I was underwhelmed by the first eppie, but have gradually came to enjoy the show as the episodes went on. It is a disorganized mess, for sure, but so far I'm looking on it as a serviceable bit of entertainment. I may just have to get a Haymuts Meseta body pillow...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
The first clue for me should have been the fact that ALI PROJECT was doing the opening. But I thought "Hey, I still liked Sora Kake Girl. Maybe this'll be different."

Ali Project needs to stop right now. I'm sure there must be some people who love them, because they continue to pump out "music," but I've yet to meet one.

That said, I don't see why having Ali Project would be a guarantee of suck-itude. Phantom uses them as an ending them and, after episode 19, an opening, and so far (I'm at 19) it's quite good. Sure, some bad series have used their music, and I'm guessing they may be cheaper than other, better groups, but that's just a matter of where you choose to stick your budget.

All that aside, I watched one episode of this, thought it was pretty cool, then watched Darker than Black 2 and realized how mediocre it was. If what Carl is saying is true, and it actually nosedives after the first episode, it doesn't really matter if it recovers a little in episodes 7 and 8, I'm still glad I didn't waste my time on it.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think the show has been getting better as it goes on. I'm not really getting the strong central cast talk for the first few episodes. Colio was a good character, but other than him they really didn't give you much to work with as far as the other character go until the latest arc (6-9) where we got to expand upon a few of them along with a gaining a new character who should help fill in the hole Colio left to some degree.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

Ali Project needs to stop right now. I'm sure there must be some people who love them, because they continue to pump out "music," but I've yet to meet one.

Nice to meet you. Razz I really like their sound, it's unique and unlike anything anyone else is doing. Personally I'm tired of chirpy girls singing about school and romance, I like their depressing, dreary themes.

As for the show itself, I think episodes 7-9 have been their strongest story yet. When you look at the way the series is set-up it seems like we're getting a bunch of mini stories that will eventually culminate into something bigger. The end of episode 9 seemed to imply something much more interesting on the horizon.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Ali Project is a dominant force with Japanese otaku and virtually no one else.

From what I can tell, it isn't so much the music that people rave about but rather the overall package that includes the use of mixed instrumentation (electronica with pop and classical sounds), full orchestras, and flamboyant costumes. The concerts probably contribute a lot to their continual popularity.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Ali Project is a dominant force with Japanese otaku and virtually no one else.

From what I can tell, it isn't so much the music that people rave about but rather the overall package that includes the use of mixed instrumentation (electronica with pop and classical sounds), full orchestras, and flamboyant costumes. The concerts probably contribute a lot to their continual popularity.

Agreed, the voice may not be the best, but they often have great or fantastic instrumentals. To name a few recent ones, Geass R2's ED2 as well as Phantom's OP2.

As for the review, I do agree that the series is absurdly atrocious. It tries to attempt too many plots at once, which last I checked, very few series have ever done this well. The animation budget is constantly up and down, character development is usually not very solid, and the music is poor, and it's not all because of ALI Project. From episode 1, the lack of a proper description of this series had already raised a red flag for me. It had an interesting concept and I was hoping for more of a comedy at one point, but the series then turned "serious" the next couple episodes and very little made sense afterwards.

Sadly, this is one of the few shows getting a full 24 episodes, meaning, it will be one of the few rolling over to the winter season where there are only 15 new full running series coming out (Katanagatari doesn't count since I believe it's an OVA). In other words, really only watch this if you're bored with the upcoming season, otherwise go back and watch series that you've missed, because this is definitely not worth many people's time.
Ian K

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally I'm tired of chirpy girls singing about school and romance, I like their depressing, dreary themes.

That's why I listen to real music, not J-Pop. (I kid, I just don't have the time to separate the good Japanese musicians from the rest)

As for Bantorra, it's actually been getting a fair amount of love in the anime blogosphere. I haven't started it myself, as I'm waiting for it to get closer to end. Hope I'll find more to like than Carl did.

Quote:
Sadly, this is one of the few shows getting a full 24 episodes

Out of curiosity, where are you getting this? The Encyclopedia has it pegged at 13, maybe it needs to be updated?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
...and I was hoping for more of a comedy at one point, but the series then turned "serious" the next couple episodes and very little made sense afterwards.

You. Have. GOT. To be shitting me. The HELL?

I mean, the first episode - the first half of the first episode - gave off almost no vibes that this would be a comedy, what with the spoiler[brainwashed "meats" with bombs in their chests thing.] There was Noloty, and Hamyuts' two massive breasts (both of which should be given billing as leading cast members in their own rights). But what else could possibly have caused you to think that this show could have worked as a comedy? Geez.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Sadly, this is one of the few shows getting a full 24 episodes...

According to Wikipedia, twenty-six.

Ian K wrote:
Out of curiosity, where are you getting this? The Encyclopedia has it pegged at 13, maybe it needs to be updated?

Come on, you should this by now. Don't look in the Encyclopedia, see that in a show's entry it says "Episode titles: We have 13", and then automatically assume that the show will only have thirteen episodes period. It just means that ANN only has the titles of thirteen episodes, that's all.

I should put that in the Tricks, Tips and Tidbits thread. Yeah, there's a thought.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Nice to meet you. Razz I really like their sound, it's unique and unlike anything anyone else is doing. Personally I'm tired of chirpy girls singing about school and romance, I like their depressing, dreary themes.
My issue isn't their sound, it's that they've got the same sound. Every opening/song I've heard them do has the exact same little instrumental twitter that I heard in "Rozen Maiden" (Ironically, I used to love the Rozen Maiden OP's until I heard more Ali Project)

I do agree that they make some great instrumentals though.[/i]
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
Quote:
Personally I'm tired of chirpy girls singing about school and romance, I like their depressing, dreary themes.

That's why I listen to real music, not J-Pop. (I kid, I just don't have the time to separate the good Japanese musicians from the rest)

Sorry for derailing the topic, but same here. I tend to prefer unique sounds, especially when an established singer or band does something a little different from their usual sound. Unfortunately what the world considers pop music (be it J-pop, American pop, or Brit-pop) has become increasingly stale. I think the Disturbed song "Sons of Plunder" puts it best:

Quote:
You say you've found yourself a new sound
The s***'s loaded and ready to go
A bit too much just like the old sound
Already heard it for the hundredth time
One hundred more all have the same sound
Running around with all the sheep that you know
"It's so sublime they're breaking new ground"
"They're sure to have another hit this time"

(Chorus):
Come on, can't you just leave it alone
It doesn't have any soul
Just find a thing of your own
And stop pretending to know

I promise I wont quote Disturbed any more, ( Anime catgrin ) but that's basically why I like Ali Project, they do their own thing and and they do it well. They aren't another mindless idol singer acting cute and pretending they'll still have a career in two years. They found their niche and while they may be milking it they've earned that right.

garfield15 wrote:
My issue isn't their sound, it's that they've got the same sound. Every opening/song I've heard them do has the exact same little instrumental twitter that I heard in "Rozen Maiden"

That's more the fault of the industry choosing only their upbeat songs for openings, though in their defense those high energy songs do lend themselves better to a lot more shows. They actually have quite a few down tempo songs that are quite good. I really love the two .hack//Roots soundtracks, especially the first one where three of the four songs, "In the World", "Chalk Ward", and "Maryter's Finger", are slow and melodic and quite different from each other. Look them up, they might change people's minds about AP's sound. Though "GOD DIVA" might be my favorite AP song due to its varying, yet always engaging, tempo.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm really bummed out reading this review and the accompanying thread. There's so many conflicting opinions, I'm not sure who to go with (since I see value in both, judging by the three episodes I've seen). Confused Although, disposable characters may be a deal breaker for me; got to have good characters...

Emerje wrote:
That's more the fault of the industry choosing only their upbeat songs for openings, though in their defense those high energy songs do lend themselves better to a lot more shows. They actually have quite a few down tempo songs that are quite good.

I might have to try some more of their stuff then, because I'm another one of those people that has no love for their anime OP portfolio (though the opening they did for Phantom and now Bantorra are tolerable).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2