• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney Gains Rights to Stan Lee's Pow! Entertainment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Ultimo the anime, anyone?
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ultimo the anime, anyone?

manga is alright I guess
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
4kids 2.0 anyone?

Seriously I can't imagine Disney of all companies to deal with shows that aren't G rated.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
4kids 2.0 anyone?

Seriously I can't imagine Disney of all companies to deal with shows that aren't G rated.

Gargoyles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Disney deals with plenty that isn't G rated as they own quite a few companies now that have material that doesn't fall under that category.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, fyi, Disney is one of six giant multinational media conglomerates.If you look at all the sub companies, they have plenty of adult material. They just don't put it under the Disney logo. Though still I don't see Stan Lee's anime and manga going into anything beyond teen audiences. Hell, some of this stuff might fit preteens even.

Meanwhile, I hope Stan's venture with Japanese companies fares better than some of the crap luck he got stuck with in the 90s and 00s in America. At least one company went belly up and Stan also got involved with a con artist who was involved with a scam fundraising with Hillary Clinton' senate campaign. So here's hoping Stan's business ventures are turning over a new leaf this decade.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
4kids 2.0 anyone?

I thought Touchstone was created to handle titles they didn't want to brand Disney like Nightmare Before Christmas.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
4kids 2.0 anyone?

I thought Touchstone was created to handle titles they didn't want to brand Disney like Nightmare Before Christmas.

Not sure about Touchstone, but I've noticed most (but not all) Disney movies/shows are family friendly. Can't really imagine doing wonders with that have Stan Lee involved.

I'll admit, I was a little harsher than I needed to be, based on what they did to Naruto Shippuden, I am quite skeptical.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Not sure about Touchstone, but I've noticed most (but not all) Disney movies/shows are family friendly. Can't really imagine doing wonders with that have Stan Lee involved.

I'll admit, I was a little harsher than I needed to be, based on what they did to Naruto Shippuden, I am quite skeptical.
Again, you act as if Disney is one single company. It's a whole host of companies under one conglomerate. I'm sure Disney will find an outlet for Lee's work, whether it be more for kids or more for teens. And really, I don't see Lee's manga and anime out put going any further than teens. Let's not forget Ultimo and Shonen Jump is for kids. As for Naruto, that's under Disney's Disney Anime hyper channel which was formerly ABC Family, which is under Disney's

Also, to illustrate the point, is ESPN for kids? Is ABC's Lost a children's program? Was the Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman film Doubt kiddie fare? All these projects are distributed by parent company Disney.

Again, Disney is one of six media giants. They're not just an animation studio doing kids films.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
4kids 2.0 anyone?

Walt Disney Pictures: G, PG, and light PG-13
Touchstone Pictures: PG-13 and R
Hollywood Pictures: Lower budget pictures
Miramax Films: art house films
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:14 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
As for Naruto, that's under Disney's Disney Anime hyper channel which was formerly ABC Family, which is under Disney's

Minor correction, but ABC Family still exists. Disney X-D is what used to be Toon Disney. They changed their name to broaden their programming, kinda like Sci-Fi/SyFy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Ok, so almost all of Stan Lee's legacy is in hands of the Mouse now, hoping they don't screw it up too much... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Ultimo the anime, what happened to Heroman? The Manga didn't look to bad all said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1