• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Delays, Cancels Releases

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
"Squid Girl, Part 3 (Season 2)" leaving them hanging ...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Well effectively, if anyone was collecting Squid Girl, looks as of right now your stuck with a canceled series. Can't say I say that coming, as I thought this was a series that was profitable for Media Blasters.

There is always a chance for a re-release, but who knows.
Karisu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
So they finally cancel Kite BD after delaying and pushing it back like 37 times. Can't say I'm shocked!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Still waiting for them to do something with their Zetsubou Sensei license.... -_____-
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Another anime licensor circling the drain, huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Ai no Kusabi is still going to be released.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Sigh I was so hoping for Squid Girl part3 season2 now only if some one else will pick it uo
partially

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Can't say I understand their strategy. If they want to actually stay afloat they actually have to release something to make money. Yet they continuously delay titles, which makes them no money and drives away potential customers because noone will trust them with a multipart series now. They should either just release the titles now, or call it quits. There is no point delaying pretty much the inevitable now.
SoraChanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Just quit the anime business already.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
NO - I was going to buy Ai no Kusabi when it was scheduled to be released in December - gah. Hopefully they mean it when they now say it'll be released in April.

And I am still waiting for the Bakuman DVD Vol. 2 to get released at some point. My Bakuman DVD Vol. 1 is lonely...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
To be fair, the release of the Fushigi Yugi OVA that The Anime Corner Store links to in their post is the old Geneon release (which has been discontinued for years).

There's always the possibility of the "canceled" releases simply being put on indefinite hold until MB can adequately produce the product, which is most likely the case of the delayed releases. They ARE apparently moving locations after all...

I don't know about Media Blasters. They have become such a strange, unpredictable company, to the point where I am now fearful of purchasing ANY of their new titles, since there's a good change it might become discontinued for lord know why...

Sounds to me like they need a company reboot in a similar fashion to ADV (which seems to have worked out very well for them).

Media Blasters' licenses have been dropping like flies. They have apparently lost Berserk, Rurouni Kenshin, Ah! My Goddess, and Voltron, among others, so they might be trying to reboot themselves with a fresh catalog.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
SoraChanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

And I am still waiting for the Bakuman DVD Vol. 2 to get released at some point. My Bakuman DVD Vol. 1 is lonely...

MB said there no more plan for Bakuman. I think that what they said.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
SoraChanShadow wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

MB said there no more plan for Bakuman. I think that what they said.

They have confirmed that they don't plan on doing anything more with Bakuman due to the low sales of Vol. 1 (which I blame on being a single, and extremely poor marketing). They did however say that the license may go to Viz (who has the manga). But the Media Blasters rep didn't seem totally sure.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Darnell Dawkins: Mouth Guitar Legend ... Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead

I for one cannot understand why this company is in financial trouble.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They have confirmed that they don't plan on doing anything more with Bakuman due to the low sales of Vol. 1 (which I blame on being a single, and extremely poor marketing).

I kinda blame it more on the fact that they were releasing it by an outdated method. The first season was 25 episodes long and they opted to release their first DVD with only 7 episodes? The second DVD was going to only have 5 episodes on it. If they kept going at that rate, it was likely they would have needed to release four to five volumes to complete the first season.

On top of that, they released it as a DVD-only, while later on announcing the Blu-ray. It's pretty likely people intended to hold out for the Blu-ray release, instead of buying the DVD. Didn't help they were likely planning to do that again with the second volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8