• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Annoying Thing Ever To Happen To Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazuright

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
Who else here loves anime? Dumb question, but how many of you who love anime has trouble buying it sometimes? Now here's the real question. How many of you are so overwhelmed,i mean, there is so much anime that you simply can't get it all in time? And then the anime you want is gone. And you have lost your chance. Crying or Very sad
Isn't that annoying! Mad

For example, Crest of the stars, Banner of the stars, Banner of the stars II, Sailor moon box set 1 and 2, etc. The were all once sold, now there not. You can only get them if a store has not sold it's final copy or if its used. Personally, i hate buying used anime. It doesn't have the same "sentimental" value. But thats just me.

So now the question is, What do you do when your anime is not sold anywhere anymore?spoiler[I go beserk looking for a final copy. then i go crying into my pillow]
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
I order it offline! That’s how I get all of my anime there’s no use in going to a store to find that they only have volumes 1,3,4 of the series you want! Just order it offline you fellow Leominsterian. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
I agree Anime comes out so fast, and with all these limited edition box sets, I am so affraid to miss my chance to get it, I buy it right away, even though it means I wont be eating for a couple days (Slight exageration.....only slight).

I will agree buying things over the internet is the easiest way to get everything you want. It usually is my last resort if I cannot find it at any of the local retailers. I don't like it too much, I like the instant gratification of getting right away, I am pretty impatient when it comes to waiting for a package full of anime DVD's. Which is kinda dangerous for me because I figure, if I am going to have to pay for shipping.... I mine as well get as much as I can. It does especially piss me off when your on volume 2 of a show and they have 1 3,4 and so on.

I definetly haven't resorted to crying in a pillow, but I do say a lot of profanity.
SamuraiBebop713

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I go crazy and break things.
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Vash_the_Stamp3d3 wrote:
I agree Anime comes out so fast, and with all these limited edition box sets, I am so affraid to miss my chance to get it, I buy it right away, even though it means I wont be eating for a couple days (Slight exageration.....only slight).

I used to have to buy every single LE box or anything cool like that. Now recently i have come to realize that just because it comes with a cool box it doesn't meen it is gonna be a good series. So now i red up on series, thank you encyclopedia, before i buy them. That way i don't waste my money on something that is going to suck and i don't get angry.
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
SamuraiBebop713 wrote:
I go crazy and break things.

Damn fine post, son.

Anyway, I too get the vast majority of my anime via the internet. When I can't get the anime I want, I watch the DVDs I already have. That's what they're for, after all.

As for box sets... I really can't understand why people buy those things. Is it really worth it to spend five extra dollars on a piece of cardboard that just makes it harder to get the DVD cases out and takes up precious shelf space?
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
It's really hard to find anime here in Singapore. Period!

But I 'm lucky in that I have quite a bit of disposable income and I do buy more than I can watch, just so that I don't miss out on anything. I'm still trying to catch up with the "watching" part.

If something's out of stock, I have no other choice than to wait for the local guys to license it. But they're really slow. Like for example, they (ODEX) just recently released Big-O (first season), Infinite Ryvius, and some other older stuff. Well, it's better than not being able to buy anything. I am looking forward to some of their releases, although they're quite old already. Because I didn't have a chance to buy them in the first place.

I never buy on-line or from ebay or any of the other auction sites. I don't trust them.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I agree with yall, except that i have the opposite problem, I'm always able to find the anime I want at my local retailers, but i can't buy them 'cause I'm poor. Anime cry I can usually count on them on having an extra copy, only if you ask them on request, but I can never seem to afford all the ones I really want, and instead having to settle for the manga instead. I just shop online at 15-17 differnt online shops to find the cheapest one with the lowest shipping rate. spoiler[i only have a collection of two dvds and one vhs tape] Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
My solution for the abundance of titles is to not get behind once you have caught up. There are rarely more than dozen DVDs (usually half that) that are worth buying that are released within a month. You only need purchase a couple of DVDs a week to keep up with even todays release pace. Although the idea of making a $500 purchase is daunting, regular $50 purchases are (for me) painless. Also, I will burn out on anime if I watch more than ten DVDs a week. This could be as dangerous, since the couple times I have I stopped buying DVDs for a month and ended up with a backlog of DVDs. I don't have a simple solution to previously released titles, except to pace them out as well. As for unavailable titles, I say don't worry. Often titles (signature series, and other rereleases) get yanked from stores before they are rereleased at a better price. They also get pulled if a forthcomming "better" edition is comming. This is a really good service for fans, since having to buy all the Eva's or Bebop's twice kind of sucks.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if you order on-line a company will search all of its stores and distributors looking for that item. I had FLCL come from california when most of the dvds i buy from the company come from Kansas. They just go around to find it; I could be wrong though.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I shell out an average of about SGD$400 to $500 a month on anime. Which is not painful for me. I keep up with the purchasing (though not the watching) so the accounts look alright. There's no sudden lapse where I suddenly have an extra $500 sitting around from not having bought anything, then the wife takes it for granted and wants to see that same $500 next month going into the bank account. Then when something really nice comes along, I have a lot of trouble asking her to let me buy anything.

Now the problem is that most of the stuff I buy are boots. I can't find anything legal that I don't already have. I mean, yes, they're finally releasing some legal stuff here (mostly kiddy titlrs though), but not being able to know this 3 years ago, I've already gone ahead and bought the boots of those same titles. I don't want to go out and buy the same thing again. But I don't know if these same companies are going to be releasing any new titles in the future. My best bet is still to buy whatever I can find (that I don't yet possess) and pray that someday, I may be rich enough that I can sit at home 24 hours a day and not have to go to work, then I can watch as much as I can and play catch up.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
If it not available offically I just get the bootleg

for me the annoying part is when a DVD doesn't work in my XBOX.
Or a show ends suddenly with no ending.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
for me, the problem is not "so much anime, so little time." its "so much anime, so little money" Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sariyana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm too poor to buy anime, and since I live in the hood, there aren't too many places that deal anime around here. I don't have a credit card, so I can't order off the net, and I can't borrow my dad's because he thinks that credit cards and the internet are evil, so he doesn't like to use them. However, when I receive a sudden monetary windfall, if I have enough money after paying back all of my friends, I go to the ONE manga store that we have here, and chances are they don't have what I want. So, then I go home, and scream, and turn on the TV to see what Time Warner Cable has along the lines of anime. I find a good series and get to watching it, then Time Warner cuts it off without even finishing it or telling us when it's coming back, like Knights of the Zodiac. I so wanted to see the rest of that Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1