• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: He is my Master DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
A 14 year old maid? I feel perverted just reading that
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
I had been wavering on this title, but Theron's review sold me. It's perv factor does seem pretty high (hint: I'm not stating that as a complaint).
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I didn't think this one was very funny at all; it seemed to rely heavily on fanservice rather than clever jokes. I would rent before buying, if I were you.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
I first saw this fansubbed and enjoyed it. As much I wish they had a dub, I will still want to buy it. I am aware of the lesbianism and am turned off by it.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend a rental since this one is hit or miss, it was a miss for me.

spoiler[Izumi ends up being used an abused by all involved (not in a hentai way, but in an annoying "comedy" way), it could be funny, but everyone else are just a bunch of a-holes and it pissed me off to see them win.] That, and the humor was uneven at best, although there was at least one good laugh per episode (though sometimes only that).

Gasero wrote:

I would not worry too much about this one since it is one of the few times in recent anime when the girls acutally look older than their stated age. I figure the ages were loli-bait because they certainly don't look like 13/14 year olds, specially not Japanese ones.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I honestly would have given it a C myself. It is clear the show is about the comedy antics and sexual comedy. Having the main lead be such a perv, as opposed to the supporting male like in say Maburaho or Girls Bravo for examples, is a difference. Same with the female lead being so rude crude and socially unacceptable. However the whimsical charm, if there is any, wears thin rather quickly I think. At least in the manga it does. It becomes too predictable the outcomes of all the gags. Maybe the anime will be a bit better. Find it odd we get a release here, even if it is just subbed, for He is my Master but nothing yet for R+V.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I bought and enjoyed the manga for this. I'm thinking of passing on the anime due to lack of dub. Did the show have any new stories or is it just a rehash of the manga?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This anime was horrible for me. One of the very few shows I felt fully justified in dropping after one and a half episodes.

I found it incredibly unfunny, like "LOOK I AM HURTING THE MAIN GUY BECAUSE HE WAS TRYING TO PEAK AT ME, ALSO A CROCODILE. YOU LAUGH NOW. HAH. HAH. HAH."
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Japan Rolling Eyes

thats all i need to say...
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I hate buying dub-less anime, but I really want to buy this show Sad .
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This anime was horrible for me. One of the very few shows I felt fully justified in dropping after one and a half episodes.

And that's why you probably found it "horrible," because the first two episodes (especially the first) were by far the weakest part of the series. I was also preparing to give the series a mediocre or worse review after the first two episodes, but the third episode on was so much funnier that I had to completely rethink my evaluation.

And I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ: As a Moderator, I'm saying that you do need to say more than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Just bought the DVDs and did a re-watch, as this is one of my favorites in this category. If you like (or don't object to) ecchi comedy, it beats most other titles, though I was surprised it got licensed at this late date. Frankly, there is a GAINAX factor in all their shows that make them if not better, then at least more watchable (well, except This Ugly Yet Beautiful World). For all the reasons given, I agree completely with Theron's review. Particularly Mitsuki, who really surprised and delighted me as a character, but overall the mix of character counter-types makes the series fairly unique. The series stays very true to itself, and even lacks a "GAINAX ending", which in this case is a real bonus Wink

Now... what is not great is the DVD video quality. I tried watching it on a PS3 hooked to a 1080p HDTV, about the best upscaling one can find. The only occasional titles that are annoying to watch are from crappy old original sources (e.g., Magical Project S).

This DVD was nearly unwatchable for me, and I went back to my fansub copy after about 10 minutes, which was starkly superior even though it's an older show. Prominent pools of artifacts and jaggies, especially in any high-motion scenes, of which there are a lot especially in the early episodes. The coloration sucks... just overall a really poor job of transcoding, which may be a result of cramming so many episodes onto two discs. If you don't have HDTV and don't have to upscale, it might be fine, but it's just unacceptable quality for a new DVD release.

Despite that complaint, I would definitely recommend this to any fans of this type of show, and I think most anyone with a neutral viewpoint on moe or ecchi comedy would consider it a good entertainment value.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I looooove this show. I'd already watched my fansubbed copies numerous times before it got licensed, and I bought this DVD set anyways.

Also, my mom likes it. Which is odd considering the genre, but she loves Mitsuki and Pochi and I guess those two characters are enough to make the show watchable for her despite the fanservice.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I would have loved a dub since I've already seen it in Japanese (and a Die Hard reference would be great to hear in English), but never-the-less I will look into this DVD anyway.

I thought this series was hilarious, yet definitely a hit or miss deal for people. It does definitely get funnier by episode 3. I also loved the character archetypes being such an odd pick for a fan service show.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show simply because I had been looking for a harem style anime where the guy wasn't a complete wuss/coward. Rin in Shuffle came close, but this was definitely a different take on what I had seen previously.

I'd still like one where the guy isn't getting beat up or turns super shy, but I think I've come to the realization that if you removed those cliches, you'd have a show about a guy that's into a bunch of girls that are into him. Thats a different type of anime...

And maybe i'm a bit desensitized to fanservice, but the maids don't seem that bad when you have shows like Strike Witches or Kodomo no Jikan to compare against.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2