• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Global Net Game Licensed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
This sudden resurgence of interest in Legend of The Galactic Heroes can only mean interesting things. Am I allowed to see this as a first sign that Japan is ready to start moving a bit more away from niche moe anime/game titles and back into content with...shall we say a little more fibre for the grey matter?
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
Nice news. I hope this is a positive move. With the right developer behind it, I'll loook forward to seeing where this goes.

I think the underground fan power of LotGH is finally filtering back to Japan at last, along with the fact that they are drowning us in unnecessary moe tropes. When they get back to telling stories without pandering, they stand to reap more rewards. Gundam Unicorn, so far is also the best example of where they should be taking anime, and to be honest, after watching it also has me turn onto Gundam again, for the first time since 08th MS Team.

In time, I hope that after those revelations from the recent ANN cast about who they make decisions on anime, they need the confidence to change.

Browser based game though? They should look at getting this baby onto DS/iPhone or Facebook.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g0rth0r

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
This just made my day. Definitively going to look forward this.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Legend of the Galactic Heroes ever stopped being popular in Japan. They ran out of material that could be adapted into animation.

Now, it's way too early to tell whether this is going to work out as advertised or not, but I'm certainly glad to hear that their intention is to make this game truly global. If so, I'd definitely check it out. Hopefully that doesn't mean "only U.S. and Japan allowed" or anything along those lines though.
animalcalls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I get too excited over a browser game, but any new LoGH material is good news to me.

I'd love some sort of console game though... or maybe even an R1 DVD release, perchance, hmmm?
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
a first sign that Japan is ready to start moving a bit more away from niche moe anime/game titles
Onizuka666 wrote:
I think the underground fan power of LotGH is finally filtering back to Japan at last, along with the fact that they are drowning us in unnecessary moe tropes.
Legend of Galactic Heroes has pretty much maintained the same level of popularity throughout it's life. There's a lot more anime out than moe shows anyway (they're in the minority), but everyone prefers to ignore them and complain about moe. Did anyone even bother to watch Kaiba? How about Pailsen Files, or Kara no Kyoukai? Sunred, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, First Squad, Natsume Yuujinchou, Time of Eve, Cobra, Mazinger, etc etc. If you don't like moe, pick from the hundreds of other shows to choose from.
leongsh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Nice. Very nice. Definitely interested. I'll be signing up for the game if and when it opens for registration.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
a first sign that Japan is ready to start moving a bit more away from niche moe anime/game titles
Onizuka666 wrote:
I think the underground fan power of LotGH is finally filtering back to Japan at last, along with the fact that they are drowning us in unnecessary moe tropes.
Legend of Galactic Heroes has pretty much maintained the same level of popularity throughout it's life. There's a lot more anime out than moe shows anyway (they're in the minority), but everyone prefers to ignore them and complain about moe. Did anyone even bother to watch Kaiba? How about Pailsen Files, or Kara no Kyoukai? Sunred, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, First Squad, Natsume Yuujinchou, Time of Eve, Cobra, Mazinger, etc etc. If you don't like moe, pick from the hundreds of other shows to choose from.
None of those are in the R1 marketplace.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like it'll be similar to Homeworld.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
None of those are in the R1 marketplace.

Natsume Yuujinchou and Time of Eve are both legally streamed by Crunchyroll to R1 viewers. I don't know about the others.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, this could become the first browser game I'll play! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1