• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Totally Boss

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Re: Durarara!!

Watch Baccano! if you haven't. It's the same author but a very different story, told in a very different way. I'd give it an A, but Durarara!! (which I am finishing tonight) I'd give a B so far. The animation is poorer, the story feels a little less tight. The finale had better blow me away like Baccano!'s did, is all I'm saying.

Btw, is there any confirmation on whether Aniplex is really going to release it themselves? Or was that just yet another random internet rumor?

Re: X's odd animation style.

Yeah, it's overly glossy, but I actually felt it worked for this specific series. It seemed a good match for the strange feel of the series. And honestly, it pains many CLAMP fans, but I prefer it to the manga.

Anyway, I too have love-hate feelings for CLAMP as well. I mean, I've been writing this massive multi-part review of xxxHOLiC and it oscillates between "Wow, that was awesome!" and "Ugh, THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!" although 90% of the latter feeling comes from things that crossover with Tsubasa.

Re: Akira

I'm hesitantly optimistic on it because they've clearly read the manga and intend to adapt from that rather than just remake the movie. I hope it's the one that will finally "get it right," as you say.

Trolling as an Olympic sport = Laughing

(skippity skip skip skip btw thanks 4 the outline so I can do that)

Oh man... I'm an episode away from the end of 4 different series (Durarara!!, Tatami Galaxy, House of Five Leaves, and Sengoku Basara), the moment that happens I am taking a look at this new influx of shows, going to try one or two new (to me) series. This is really awesome, what you guys are doing. I'm looking forward to what the new layout will be.

(skip some more, skip some more)

Oh wait, that's all. Until next week, then.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I love the Area 88 OVA, never tried the Japanese track because it sounded a bit degraded. I can't think of any other anime with better fight scenes with jets and maintains the intensity. It's like all of the good bits of Top Gun without the homolust.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder whether there was a stream that went up sometime around June 9th or so that draw an audience Thursday/Friday/Saturday, since not only did ANN seem to have a much "fatter" peak that week in the Alexa rankings ...

... and at the same time Crunchy's normal weekly peak didn't show up.

My first thought was that maybe the big Crunchy boycott hit the site ... since a one week boycott seemed about how long it could be sustained ... but my second was something went up as part of the So1KA that people were marathoning and didn't have time for other stuff.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I love the Area 88 OVA, never tried the Japanese track because it sounded a bit degraded. I can't think of any other anime with better fight scenes with jets and maintains the intensity. It's like all of the good bits of Top Gun without the homolust.

Pretty much this. I don't know of any other anime like Area 88. I love it to death.

Also happy to hear Gia on a podcast again Anime smallmouth
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
I wonder whether there was a stream that went up sometime around June 9th or so that draw an audience Thursday/Friday/Saturday, since not only did ANN seem to have a much "fatter" peak that week in the Alexa rankings ...

Not that there's a good publicly available alternative, but Alexa is really, REALLY inaccurate. It's based off such a small cross section of internet users that it's simply not a good measuring tool. Comparing the actual site logs to Alexa is usually an exercise in confusion -- one will zig where the other will zag with alarming frequency.

That said, I'm too lazy to look in our logs to answer your question. :p
-kf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'm very clear on the topic of site layout changes. The Boss man was saying Ann is going to go through gradual changes, then they are going to change completely. I guess I don't understand the purpose behind gradual changes if the end result is going to be a drastic change. Is the reason behind that there are changes you want to make now but you don't have all the details worked out for a complete site retool? Are you are trying to gather data on how things will work before you completely transform the format?

I like the idea of bit-by-bit changes that way I have time to adapt. However, if I have to keep adapting to changes and then go through one major change, it sort of prolongs that feeling of disconnect you get when something you've grown accustomed to is remodeled. I'd rather have the big change up front. Eh, I guess it's just a pain when I'm used to something and I have to reformat my brain to adjust. I'm half curious to get a better understanding and half complaining just to complain.

Oh, there is an editing blunder just before 49 minutes, go back and re-edit the whole thing from start to finish! Razz
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Another great podcast! I really liked hearing about some of the new site features and re-design(s). Also, getting a former exec from Bandai to be a representative in Japan is pretty impressive! Great job.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
-kf wrote:

Oh, there is an editing blunder just before 49 minutes, go back and re-edit the whole thing from start to finish! Razz

Whoops!

Also, no.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm too dense or not getting enough sleep, but I still don't quite get what these changes will be. I guess I'll have to see them for myself when they happen.

It's interesting hearing from Chris, though.

I must've missed the whole Corey Maddox controversy, because I can't recall seeing any discussion about it. Sounds pretty sordid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
WHAT?! Ace of Base is embarrassing?!

Well I only have one album from them...

Go listen to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's Benny the Bouncer, THEN you can be embarrassed Razz
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
X is the exception to the CLAMP rule or at least that was my impression. It's a lot darker and more atmospheric than their other stuff. I mean, it's directed by Kawajiri after all. It's certainly not 'Ninja Scroll' Kawajiri stuff but actually, I found it was a bit of a nice balance between Kawajiri action and CLAMP romance.

Eh, personally I thought the third Harry Potter movie was were they started to fall apart.

Anyone want to elaborate on the whole Corey Maddox thing? I googled him and found the obvious sordid thing but Zac made it sound like there was more. Although based on the first thing, maybe I don't want to know.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
Do I understand correctly that the new news feed will be in addition to the one we see everyday, or is that one going away? I will probably enjoy the new entertaining one that Gia will do, but I still like the regular news coverage too.

I also think that I like Durarara a lot more than anyone else seems to. But that's o.k., I guess. Confused
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote
Darnit, this podcast seems to have left people more confused than ever. Quick rundown time:

1. NEWS AIN'T GOIN NOWHERE. This is all about ADDING features and updating the layout to reflect all the new stuff we're adding.

2. Gia's fun nerdy posts will be added to the existing coverage. No exact date yet, but real soon now.

3. Rotating marquee will be added above the news on the front page, to pimp stuff that scrolls of the front page too fast.

4. If you don't like the new stuff, "classic" ANN will continue to be available at animenewsnetwork.com/news

5. Fully revised layout, lots more stuff is still in the oven, will be announced with the timer goes off.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
Just read up on Corey Maddox. I'm not defending this guy by any means, but I don't see how his crime effects him working on an anime production. Did I miss something else in this story?
-kf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Quick rundown time:

You know this is pretty much exactly what was said in the podcast, but for some reason seeing it in print made it more clear. Good to see that classic ANN will still be an option. Thanks.

v1cious wrote:
Just read up on Corey Maddox. I'm not defending this guy by any means, but I don't see how his crime effects him working on an anime production. Did I miss something else in this story?

The way I interpreted what Zac was talking about is that this guy left a bad taste in peoples mouths from other places on the internet. As Zac so aptly put it, "he is an internet wrecking ball." I assume this means that not only was he an idiot(in addition to his criminal background) but he probably spread his idiocy around to other people. How does this have anything to do with what he was trying to accomplish? Reputation is everything in business, would you want to do business with, or help out(by way of donations) someone who has a bad reputation(and again, a quite unsavory past) with most of the people he interacts with? You probably don't want this guy's name associated with anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4