Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Fined 550,000 Yen for Manga's Use of Real Person

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oraora-kei is a fashion offshoot from the larger yankii culture, and it features stylized hair and sunglasses, among other signature looks. The plaintiff happens to run an apparel company known for Oraora-kei fashion.

Which came first? Is that the basis for that Jojo attack, or is it named after that Jojo attack?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
lol, whoops. that's why you should ask the people's permissions before you put them in your manga, like they did with Bakuman.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Leader of the VIP car gang 'Oraora.'"

Shouldn't it be Bōsōzoku and not Bippu?
dxInt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this manga, but those sideburns got my attention. Synopsis from mangaupdates.com:

Quote:
July 1943 during the Pacific War. Certain islands in the frigid North Pacific Ocean was making a withdrawal of U.S. military attack in the garrison of Japanese soldiers. Ta-Fa was completed and the final (landing craft) that left the island when the ship is damaged by military attacks, the beginning of the flooding. Commander Maj. Serizawa is for a gun Matsumoto Ju Cao Fei is forming two wounded soldiers, forced to go back to the island in order to lighten the boat, the man who beat up the Sono Serizawa. Lieutenant is the captain of the Asahi Matsumoto. Means to return to Japan for more than face a firing squad on charges of rebellion and not a superior officer, Asahi jumped into the sea back to the island itself. To save the boys, chose to remain on the island.

Then 16 years later. Structure chrysanthemums and Matsumoto, chairman of the heavy electric machinery large and successful business, the Asahi was found in a frozen state at the cave on the island after years of searching. Combine the best of modern medicine, and finally a successful resuscitation.

At first look at the city's prosperous Japan is the meaning of my life trying to self-determination and Asahi not already, and to the public by beating motorcycle gang, only to see it without a report Look at "mind instead of the rich became poor" and, finding a meaningful life. The structure Chrysanthemum "KUDASARE the samurai into a co-teacher of middle school failure UCHI GAZU the uniform" and was asked to duty as a teacher in junior high school in Chiba own private Matsumoto Matsumoto Group.

Goddamn this manga sounds awesome.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a bit interested in this series as well.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
ok I read the whole article and all I'm getting is that a manga artist used a magazine photo of some fashion model and he's throwing a piss fit because he wasn't asked if his over dressed mug could be used as a base for a character. Seriously
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Uh....yes? If somebody uses your likeness in a published work, they have to get your permission first. It's not really a complex law.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. This is, after all, drawn; it's not like the manga-ka incorporated a photographic image of this person into the manga. I'm sure this isn't the first artist to base a drawing on a photograph. The only way I'd think the plaintiff could argue that he was being improperly exploited was in the attached "oraora" name, but even there it's apparently a well-known fashion style in Japan and not the plaintiff's actual name. To me this decision stifles artistic freedom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1