• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime RPG

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulghod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
does anyone know how it compares to besm d20?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Bulghod wrote:
does anyone know how it compares to besm d20?

And on a related note, how does it compare to D&D? (Ironically, me and my friends have played out a game of D&D that was styled after anime. It was still in a sword-fantasy setting, but it definately took cues from anime, sort of like a pen and paper version of Record of Lodoss War.)
Bulghod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
looks like it's more d6 based than the current d20 system
good stuff is given a 1-5 bonus, and weaknesses is based on -1--3. sounds simple, but might be boring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
D&D also has all the resources you need to run an anime storyline in print already: Savage Species (for creatures other than humans, like InuYasha-ish demons), Oriental Adventures (for that Asian flair), and d20 Modern with the d20 Future book (for future-tech storylines like Ghost in the Shell).
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
D&D also has all the resources you need to run an anime storyline in print already: Savage Species (for creatures other than humans, like InuYasha-ish demons), Oriental Adventures (for that Asian flair), and d20 Modern with the d20 Future book (for future-tech storylines like Ghost in the Shell).

Ooo, I like what I hear from that. I'm already pretty well-versed in the D&D structure, so those expansions sound easy to get into. Thanks for letting me know!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea how to RPG, but I wish I did. Anyway, I would just buy a character manual just to see how stereotypical/accurate the characters are.

I could use a good laugh for 10 or 20 bucks.

[ADDENDUM: I have just read the 20-page "demo." I hope this gets to bookstores because I think it's worth buying, even if it's just to laugh at the sample situations. Either way, the people that wrote this RPG book get Respect +5]

Last edited by Joe Mello on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Bulghod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
i have a quickie copy of the besm d20 if you want to borrow it for the purposes of simple visual entertainment without actual play.
Sir Clay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Hello, everyone! I'm the creator of OVA.

OVA is a point-based system, and thus has no levels or classes like D&D. However, a single mechanic is used for all actions, much like the d20 is used for most action resolution in that game.

OVA prides itself on its flexibility. There's no hard-coded stats or classes. You simply pick from a list of adjectives called Abilities, rate them on a scale of 1-5 (or -1 to -3 in the case of Weaknesses), and you're ready to go. In any die roll, you roll 2 six-sided dice. If you have an Ability that applies, add that number of dice to your roll. If any weaknesses apply, substract that many. Take the highest result. If you have doubles, add them.

You can find out more at www.wiseturtle.com and at our forums. Or you can check the product page at http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=4280&src=ANN for the many reviews the game has received.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
ok I have to admit this system does seem useful although it would GMing either a. easier or b. living nightmare. although I'm curious are you gonna do any series sepcfic source books if you can or you just gonna stick with genre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they'll avoid doing specfic series as much as possible. After all, use trademarked names costs money, doesn't it?

Besides, all these anime are the same, archetypically. Wink
Sir Clay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
What OVA will do for your GMing is really based on your Players. On one hand, the rules make creating NPCs a breeze, and it's simple to cover any setting you choose.

On the other hand, if your Players have more fun min-maxing their stats and munchkin-ing their way to the top, OVA will prove quite a headache for you. OVA was created with role-players and anime enthusiasts in mind. The flexibility comes at the cost of being very abusable.

As for licensing, I would like to say we WOULD eventually latch on to a license or two. But this is quite a ways off...As Joe said, licensing costs mucho denero.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1