• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animation Artbooks Available for the General Public in Montreal Area (Canada)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda Polytope

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

Pray forgive my indiscretion at starting a new topic here, not knowing where my subject matter should fit.

I am a Montreal-based collector of Japanese anime-related artbooks who has been acquiring various types of artbooks from Japan for more than a decade. Many of these books are self-published by the studios themselves with a limited number of printing -- therefore a rarity to be seen at least in my surrounding.

My goal of starting this new topic is twofold. First, I would like to know if there is any other collector on this forum, and if anyone happens to live close to the Montreal area. I would love to chat / meet up with you and show you my collection / see your collection if possible.

The second is an announcement: I LOVE to share and I have always found it unfortunate that I am the only person consulting these books in my surrounding. My goal of collecting these books is to make them available to the general public one day, by donating them to a library (someone has even suggested that I open my own library, but this is not on my to-do list for the foreseeable future). After much talks and consultations with the animation community in Montreal, I have finally sent out this month the first batch of the donation to Cegep de Vieux-Montreal College, which is the only public institution who offers a complete 3-year program in 2D animation in Montreal.

Due to lack of space, the college library was not able to host my entire collection; they selected 80 books from my proposed list of ~170 books which best suit their use. These books will be on the shelf sometimes in the coming year (2022); the precise date will be communicated to me once they finish doing the treatment. For those who are interested, here is the final list of the donation.

Clicking on 'WP' will lead you to my blog where I document these books. It will offer you a short summary of a given book and no more than 10% of the preview of the interior pages (see the legal declaration in the footnote).

The books, which fill up two big boxes (16"x16"x16"!), can be classified into the following categories:

Artbook: character / prop / environment / etc. design.

Keyframe Collection: a selection of keyframe animations used in an animated work.

Storyboard: with the storyboardist's instruction written in Japanese.

Layout: to the best of my knowledge, there exist only 2 books on 2D layout, one is the exhibition catalog by Studio Ghibli, the other is by Walt Disney.

Beside the storyboards, most of these books contain but a minimal amount of text written in Japanese; the rest is visual information that all visual artists can understand.

A little bit about the institution since their website is entirely in French: Cegep de Vieux Montreal is a public French college located near Old Montreal. The library, situated on the 7e floor of the main building, is open to the general public for browsing and potential borrowing through inter-library agreement via a library to which you are subscribed (e.g. BAnQ). For exemple, you may refer to this webpage to learn how to use BAnQ to request an inter-library loan.

The college is well located near Grande Bibliotheque (the largest public library in the entire province of Quebec) and Cinematheque quebecoise, two public institutions that host a wealth of animation-related documents.

If you have any further question, you may contact the library staff via
+1 (514) 982-3437, ext. 2221
[email protected]

Like most Montrealers, they do speak / understand English fairly well.

I hope this donation will benefit those who itch to learn how an anime is made / drawn!

All content posted on my blog is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND). It is strictly forbidden to use any photo / video shared wherein for commercial purpose. This is a nonprofit blog aiming at reviewing and promoting animation-related artbooks. Please do NOT ask for the scan of the entire or part of a book.

I also manage a FB group on animation artbook where I share the same reviews, plus pre-order information about the upcoming release of an artbook, and sometimes, even hand out goodies that come with the purchase of the books. You may contact me if you should be interested to join.

There has never been any abuse to these images. I hope it stays this way. Smile
Linda Polytope

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
The artbooks I donated to Cégèp du Vieux-Montréal are now integrated into their collection. You can search for these books in their catalog Koha (interface in French only, sorrry!). It's easier to browse this collection by searching for the subject "Dessins animés -- Technique":

An exhibition will be organised in May, for those who can come to Montreal, Canada.

People outside of the college can borrow these books via a library to which they are subscripted (e.g. BAnQ). I think I will write an English tutorial at the end of April on how to request an inter-library loan.
Linda Polytope

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
For the entire month of May, the library of Cégèp du Vieux-Montréal College is exhibiting the animation artbooks I donated to them. Come drop by if you can to discover this collection!

This collection is located on the shelf with number starting with NC1766 J33.

Here are some pictures of this lovely college library in Montreal, Canada Smile

Quebec residents outside of the college can borrow these books through a library to which they are subscribed (e.g. BAnQ). To know how, please read my tutorial.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1