• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Midstreaming the Cube

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Good to see you picking up Kuromi for liscensing if I remember right it was Directed by the guy for Jubei-chan and I am looking forward to it. I didn't think the bubble burst until the mid 90's because Angel Cop was kind of really based on the idea of Japan becoming the super economic power of the planet and everyone being jealous of it.

Never watched Nadesico after I heard my favorite character Gai died, nothing I have heard since made me want to watch anymore. Wolf's Rain is horrible, I am sorry but it's boring, I remember their being 4 wolves, but I can actually only remember three (the leader, Shinji Wolf, and gay leather biker wolf).

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I didn't think the bubble burst until the mid 90's because Angel Cop was kind of really based on the idea of Japan becoming the super economic power of the planet and everyone being jealous of it.

The bubble burst in 1991, but as always, it takes a while for the effects of that to trickle down to every domestic industry. Angel Cop was actually started in 1989, but due to money problems, I think the last 3 were delayed until the economy was going to hell. Which explains the tone, if nothing else.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Justin & Zac! CONGRATULATIONS on the Big 50!!

I freekin LOVE your Satoshi Kon retrospective. Every bit of it. You guys all deserve a huge standing ovation for the celebratory memorial you've created to honor Satoshi.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Yea, everyone that's remotely a Nadesico fan declares discontinuity on the Prince of Darkness movie. Even if it was planned out as a series of movies, it still would have sucked by being so completely different than the TV series. Even as a mecha-phile, I couldn't get excited about the action sequences. It was just that disappointing.

It was amusing -- and irritating too, I guess -- to see the same kind obvious otaku-pandering plot pulls we see now, in a show from over a decade old. Leave it to Japanese fans to focus on the boring quiet girl with a catchphrase rather than... well, everyone else in the cast.

Bleh.

As for Gai... I don't think the director was just [expletive] with the audience. Considering the theme of the show -- Reality and fiction are two entirely different things -- once you get into the latter episodes and look back at it, things make sense.

Still a good sucker punch of a plot twist.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Personally I saw Nadesico as a show that couldn't tell if it was going to be a show about how real life wasn't like a super robot show, or if it was a parody of mecha series.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing about Sailor Moon, now it's being rebroadcast in Italy and TOEI's offering the license again, where I got this info: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/16792.html

^ It's been reported on other places on the net (including ToonZone) for about a year actually, and this is due to it's resurgence of popularity in Japan (and the Animax broadcast)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Personally I saw Nadesico as a show that couldn't tell if it was going to be a show about how real life wasn't like a super robot show, or if it was a parody of mecha series.

It was kind of both, so you're never too sure whether to take anything seriously or not.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok so you just recommended people watch Nadesico, and then you spoiled a big plot point.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Ok so you just recommended people watch Nadesico, and then you spoiled a big plot point.

Oh no we spoiled a show that's over 10 years old with something that happens in episode 3.

I'm crying a river of tears here.
starvtwalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Man I love Wolf's Rain. I am with you, I absolutely loved the ending to that show. I basically skipped the recap episodes, and if you do, there is no break in the action. It's absolutely just a smooth ride into oblivion. The desolate, snow covered landscape is gorgeous. And for once, for once, wolves are not the villains. I am so tired of wolves being villains. I mean wolves are some of the least villainous animals. They travel in hierarchical families, take care of their own, etc. I mean dogs, which everyone loves, came from wolves, but wolves for some reason have to be evil. No, Wolf's Rain got it right, wolves rock hard.

/end rant.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
50 episodes, wow. Congrats!

The guy who directed Now and Then, Here and There does comedies?

I've never seen Nadesico. A good ADV dub is a rare beast indeed.

I guess you guys aren't fans of Silent Mobius.

Wolf's Rain is a show with the potential to be really good, and wastes nearly all of it. Even clip episodes aside (which you really can't discount, because they're in the show), it really falls apart as it winds down, and the wolf characters are sort of flat and unlikeable, when really the human characters shine the most. It's too bad Yoko Kanno, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Steve Conte were utterly wasted on that show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I take it you've never seen Kodocha or Fruits Basket?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I take it you've never seen Kodocha or Fruits Basket?

Very little of them. Neither really appealed to me that much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I've never seen Nadesico. A good ADV dub is a rare beast indeed.

I guess you guys aren't fans of Silent Mobius.

Wolf's Rain is a show with the potential to be really good, and wastes nearly all of it. Even clip episodes aside (which you really can't discount, because they're in the show), it really falls apart as it winds down, and the wolf characters are sort of flat and unlikeable, when really the human characters shine the most. It's too bad Yoko Kanno, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Steve Conte were utterly wasted on that show.

I suggest you try to get your hands on Jubei-chan, the first is an action comedy while the second is more of a comedic action show. In particular the second has some of the best sword fighting I have ever seen.

As for Wolf's Rain, the first few episodes are pretty good, but once the Wolves leave the city the fact that the wolves really don't have much of a personality that would make for an interesting group dynamic becomes apparent.

I think JesuOtaku mentioned that this was done on purpose to make them more like they where in Japanese folklore, but there's a reason why Heroic Age included the whole massive fleet battles between the Iron Tribe and Silver Tribe, and that's because it would be really boring to see one guy fight 3 others guys for 26 episodes even if it was more accurate to the whole Hercules fight monsters myth.

Also suddenly evil giant walrus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtF1PXqa0AY
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Sweet, Sevakis is a soundtrack man. Always nice to find a kindred spirit. Trust me, man, I'm right there shivering in the wracking symptoms of withdrawl with ya. Yoko Kanno is, and likely always will be, my favorite musician of all time, recent rash of plaigarism accustions be damned. I can't tell ya how much it stings scanning the encylopedia each seson for her name in the cast list somewhere, only to get kaput. She's done some scant stuff here and there during her post-Frontier dry spell(which ended, what, like, close to over two years ago now?), but it's small potatoes compared to the next Brain Powerd-caliber masterpiece we're all waiting for. Let her go, Kawamori. If you love a bird, you gotta set it free, and Id imagine she's sick of churning out yet more vehicles for May-N by now(coincidentally, Arjuna, Aquarion, Mac Plus and the non-Kawamori Turn A Gundam are waaaay up there with BP and WR on my list of fave scores.)

God willing, she and Watanabe have a secret weapon waiting in the wings.

Amazing work with the Kon retrospective. Been waiting for each chapter every day. Good stuff, and it takes insightful minds to expound so throughly on the magic underneath such challenging works, and in such a short period after the tragic fact. Thanks to everyone involved for the superlative work.

As for the Wolf's Rain hate, I couldn't disagree more. I loved that series and the recaps are simple enough to skip. It's impossible to argue that the "flat" wolf characters don't change and devlop over time(though it certianly takes a while), and while stereotypical, they're at least pulled off well. Can't fault detractors for preffering the human characters more, though. Of course they're easier to identify with and relate to; they're human. They have human problems, motivations and passions, all of which are throughly tested in less fantastical ways. But then, so are the wolves. Let's not forget that they're human, too. What is anthropormorphism but the humanization of non-human entities?(even if not strictly literally, or somewhere in between.) They're just characterized a little differently to match their animalistic nature, which can make them, and through association the show, feel distant and even alien at times, but I think that itself is just speaking to the power of the writing. I won't argue WR is perfect, but it was a powerful, suprisinly touching and even warm work of art still right up there with Rahxephon and Cowboy Bebop in that it's beauty, music and themes will stick with me for a long time to come. Nothin' flat about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3