• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2010 New Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm....well.....
The film for "Miyanishi Tatsuya Gekijō: Omae Umasou da na (TV)" looks absolutely adorable.....

"Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt", "Bakuman" and "Shinryaku! Ika Musume" all sound interesting.....but how much I enjoy them will probably be determined on how "fan-service-y" they are.

I REALLY don't like fan service anime. Moe really isn't my thing either. (unless it's AzuManga Daioh...which I enjoyed for the humor, not so much for the girls wearing mini-skirts.)

Very Happy
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see if anyone does Super Robot Wars considering it's a sequel to a series that not many people watched.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
^^I'll give it a shot

Now, that I've actually seen the previews

Stuff I'll watch:
-Iron Man (CG, wut?)
-Sora no Otoshimono Forte
-Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector (I wasn't sure about this one because everybody says the last one wasn't good, but since it's on CR, I'm not missing it this time)
-Panty and Stocking
-Bakuman
-Tegami Bachi: Reverse
-Yumeiro Pattesiere Professional (Everybody should watch this show)
-Star Driver (duh?)
-My Little Sister Can't Possibly be this Cute
-Arakawa 2
-Otome Youkai Zakuro
-Soredemo Machi ga Mawatteriu
-Kuragehime (I'm yet to be seriously disapointed with a noitaminA show)

Stuff I'll first episode watch
-Pokemon BW (come on, Pokemon. The only reason I'm even giving this one a try is because this is the closest thing to rebooting you're doing so far)
-MM! (only because of Jun Fukuyama. This better be funny)
-Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
-Yosuga no Sora (I have heard this is dramatic. I see that it looks generic. The maid is turning me off immediately, but I'll give it a try)
-Shinryaku Ika Musume
-The World God Only Knows
-Togainu no Chi (I am watching UraBoku and if they can keep the shounen-ai at a tasteful not-in-my-face level and have good fight sequences, it might be worth watching)

Not Watching
-Battle Spirits (incidentally, why isn't this licensed yet?)
-Hakuouki 2
-To-Love-Ru 2 (meh. Couldn't get into the first)
-Tantei Opera Milky Holmes (WTF?)
-To Aru Majutsu no Index II (actually, it's not that I don't want to see this. It's that I know FUNimation is going to pick it up at some point and I want all the Index/Railgun DVDs. So I haven't watched a single episode of the franchise. However, I am very MisakaXTouma)
-Fortune Arterial (you know, I was going to first episode it cause it was on CR but then I thought...."no. This looks too generic")

Burn with Queen's Blade/Juuden-chan/etc.
--Hyakka Rouran (oh my god, how can something with such cool animation be so pandering? AND WHY IS MY BELOVED RIE KUGIMIYA IN ANOTHER ONE OF THESE? *cries*)
zeonozero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Lots more stuff to watch than the summer.
Cant wait for this great line up.
I got like 16 shows that im going to be watching, or pretty much anything that is not a sequel.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The only good Anime that seem worth watching are

-Bakuman.
-The World God Only Knows
-Psychic Detective Yakumo
-Tegami Bachi Reverse (Only worth watching if you completed the first season)

I'm a Bakuman. fan, so, of course I'm looking forward to the anime.

I been hearing lots of great things about The World God Only Knows, so, I'm really looking forward to trying it (This show will most likely rank extremely high on my Anime list).

Only trying Psychic Detective Yakumo because it's most likely going to have some Detective things in the series and it's also a mystery series (Not going to be better than Detective Conan).
SerenaHavoc1013

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Can't agree with you more Anime Remix. I've been waiting in anticipation for Bakuman since ANN announced that the anime was green-lit last year. This is definitely at the top of my "MUST WATCH" list with Arakawa Under the BridgexBridge following right behind.

They didn't mention it in the Fall Review, but I'll also be watching Yumeiro Pâtissière Professional; which starts October 3rd. (Thanks garfield15 for also noting the show!)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Things I might watch:
>Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt just because it looks so different
>Star Driver because it has Revolutionary Girl Utena's writer

Things I definitely will be watching:
>Kuragehime, since it's noitaminA and created by the same team who did Hell Girl, Baccano!, Natsume Yuujinchou, and DRRR!! Trying not to get my hopes up too high, but yeah, I am excited for this one.

Things I won't be watching:
>Everything else, unless the Preview Guide indicates one that went under my radar.

This is not looking like too hot a season for me. Sad Ah well, lets me catch up on Legends of the Galactic Heroes.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
FYI Preview Guide Fall 2010 starts Oct. 1st, with the usual suspects and maybe some special guests.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
FYI Preview Guide Fall 2010 starts Oct. 1st, with the usual suspects and maybe some special guests.

Thanks for the information Zac. I love to read the preview guide and I really enjoy reading your thoughts on the upcoming shows.

Okay to be fair, the fact you write reviews on the shows is what makes me look forward to the preview. Even after a exceptionally stressful day, I know almost anything that is written by Zac will either be awesome or exceptionally hilarious. Or both, as in the case with Zac's review of the ever so very, very creepy moe/near H status KissX whatever.

I look forward to Arakawa Season two, the World Only Kami Sama knows (the manga is A+ quality and sometimes comes close to masterpiece material) and of course, Bakuman. Say what you will about Bakuman, I still think it's one of the most original manga's I've read in years.

The rest of the anime, either doesn't interst me or is way too out there for me to even attempt to watch. I am all for weird anime, but there does come a limit.

Thanks in the future for the hard work, I will say it will be interesting. Haven't had the chance to watch this many great shows in years or since Toradora is made. I wonder when the Toriko anime will be made? Because the manga is extremely exciting and continues to amaze me. And the fact it has food in it, which is kind of cool as well.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac better be reviewing Panty and Stocking. Laughing
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
Ugh...

ANN's preview guide is about as useful as asking my bishonen-ai loving anime acquaintance for advise on what to watch.

Read: Never.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
ANN's preview guide is about as useful as asking my bishonen-ai loving anime acquaintance for advise on what to watch.

Read: Never.

But apparently,

Complain: Always.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
But apparently,

Complain: Always.

I don't watch FOX News, but I still bitch and moan about it. So bellyaching isn't necessarily unjustified, even if one hardly views that which they complain about.

I like the preview guides, but only because it offers a rare opportunity to compare the tastes of all the reviewers at once and for a variety of genres. I don't actually take the guides seriously, as in to help me decide on what to watch next. That's partly because the range of opinion is often so broad as to make it largely useless, partly because one episode isn't enough to accurately judge a series, and partly because I usually use charts like this one to help me decide on what to keep an eye on.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
... partly because one episode isn't enough to accurately judge a series, and partly because I usually use charts like this one to help me decide on what to keep an eye on.

"I work out what to keep an eye on from a PR drawing and a brief, often wildly misleading synopsis"

"By contrast, one episode is not enough to accurately judge a series."

And, OTOH,
dtm42 wrote:
...... That's partly because the range of opinion is often so broad as to make it largely useless, ...
Its the range of opinion that actually makes it somewhat useful. If Zac pans a series because it wallows in medieval fantasy cliches, Theron says it could end up being good but for now is just average, And Carl says
Quote:
The real shocker is that it has an honest-to-goodness plot, with an honest-to-goodness point. Yikes.
~ then I'm definitely going to give it three episodes.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
One episode may not be enough to judge a series, but they often do two. And personally, I feel a series should at least show promise in the first episode if it's going to be any good at all. I can think of exceptions, but the best series will lay out the basic premise and give you a good teaser/cliffhanger ending that leaves you wanting more. That's the sort of thing that should get 4-5 stars.

Back when the guide involved them divvying up the series between reviewers, I never found it useful. Now that you get a broad perspective where every reviewer does as many series as possible, you get multiple viewpoints for comparison. I tend to keep running "averages" on series (adjusting for Theron who rates everything about half a point higher than others) and have ~3.5/5 as my cut-off for looking at a series.

But just the descriptions alone can be helpful, even if in the long run I disagree on the scores. Take last season's High School of the Dead; it was rated highly by most critics, but the description let me know that I would not like it.

I also appreciate the preview guide because it has made me look at series I might otherwise never have taken note of, like Giant Killing.

And it gives us all a place to get together and praise, chatter, and bitch about series.

So keep it up!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4