• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Funimation Entertainment and Netflix to Stream Hundreds of Hours of Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
more please

tho i do enjoy the underrated origin movie, with epic kokia music

guess ill watch fruits basket
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is "for a limited time" only so that Funimation can test the marketability of anime on Netflix and whether they can make enough profit.

I honestly have no interest in purchasing anime DVDs/bluray anymore so a Netflix like service would fit very well. I thinks a good way to try and recoup some costs from profit loss through fansubs.
xScar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this is great!

I have a great deal of FUNi DVDs... but definitely not everything (nor do I want to buy everything). Most of these shows are also on Hulu and FUNiVideo, but having it on Netflix where I can stream straight to my Xbox is wonderful.

I know what I'm doing this weekend Very Happy

(Also, for whatever reason all shows (for what I've looked at) are marked as HD when most definitely are not. It gives more bitrate to the show, so I'm not complaining, but just thought I would throw that out there).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
First: good news.

Second: FUNimation, if you drop the DRM from the episodes the website streams, I could easily give you more of that "$8.95".

Just sayin'.

By the way: where are our toys?

Boxee + Netflix = who the [bleep] needs cable anymore.
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Hundreds of H anime?
Where do I sign up??
SteelyMag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
hmm...tried the anime on netflix a year ago or so - no subtitles. have they fixed that or is it still dub only?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
They put a lot of content up there. Some of it is series that I've been interested in checking out.

SteelyMag wrote:
hmm...tried the anime on netflix a year ago or so - no subtitles. have they fixed that or is it still dub only?

The only one I tried was dub only.
arimareiji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
SteelyMag wrote:

If they ever stream subtitles, I'll be surprised. It's the same patronizing "You're American! You really want it in English, even if you think you don't!" crap that the importers pulled on us for years, and I don't think it'll end any sooner in this case.

They've had enough requests for subs that they added "We'll maybe think about it some day" to one of the FAQs, but don't hold your breath. They'll only pay for the rights to stream one or the other, and you don't have to think too hard to guess which one they'll decide everyone wants.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
The frustrating thing is that most or all the live-action foreign film available for streaming are subtitled (hard-subbed). I suspect suspect that the "cartoons are for kids" paradigm is part of what is holding anime back (not to mention that there is undoubtedly a good percentage of subscribers who do prefer dubs). It's been my experience that in other parts of the world, English media is subtitled unless it falls into the children entertainment category, at which point it gets the same dub-only treatment.

Netflix has apparently recently added closed caption functionality to it's PC steams, though, so there still may be hope multiple language tracks in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1