• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2010 pumpkin carving contest?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
la-romanesque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Will there be a pumpkin carving contest this year? I always look forward to it and was surprised that it has thus far not been announced.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately we're not doing one this year. The contest will return next year, though.
la-romanesque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Good to know. I'm sad, but at least I'll have saved a few dollars by not buying a pumpkin.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
la-romanesque wrote:
Good to know. I'm sad, but at least I'll have saved a few dollars by not buying a pumpkin.

You do realize other sites have pumpkin contests right? For example, here is one.

http://wowvault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=58820

Since the internet is seemingly endless, there will always be at least one website that doing a holiday event.
la-romanesque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Are there any other anime ones though? I really enjoy it most because my anime club makes an event out of pumpkin carving, and it's so much more exciting when you can enter them in a contest.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
la-romanesque wrote:
Are there any other anime ones though? I really enjoy it most because my anime club makes an event out of pumpkin carving, and it's so much more exciting when you can enter them in a contest.

I recommend Google. If it's not there, either it doesn't exist or is buried way in the later pages.
Martel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame. And I spent weeks working on my design, too. It was going to incorporate 10 characters. Maybe I'll save it for next year, then. So, what happened this year, then, that there's no contest?
NeoMaster1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
Dang, the one year my (anime-themed) pumpkin actually looks pretty good, there's no contest. If there's more than a handful of people who carved (or plan to carve) an anime-themed pumpkin this year, maybe you guys could put out a call for photos and then put up an 'Interest' article on it with a simple little gallery or something. I don't really know how many folks carve for the fun of it and how many carve to win prizes, but it's an idea, at the very least. I always enjoy just seeing the creativity and skill some people have when it comes to stuff like this. There have been some entries in previous years that have really blown my mind.

Anyway, I can understand, what with all of the recent craziness going on. Thanks for confirmation that the contest isn't happening this year, now I can take another photo of my pumpkin with a sign that reads 'Anime News Network - 2011 Pumpkin Carving Contest'.

Victory will be mine. Twisted Evil
Akukame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
I look forward to the contest every year.

Doesn't mean I won't carve an elaborate anime themed pumpkin though. Expect pictures in the next couple days. Smile Its probably getting carved tomorrow.

Carving an anime themed pumpkin every Halloween is one of the very few annual traditions I have (which has existed since long before ANN's pumpkin carving contest started).

Martel wrote:
That's a shame. And I spent weeks working on my design, too. It was going to incorporate 10 characters. Maybe I'll save it for next year, then. So, what happened this year, then, that there's no contest?

This sounds a bit ridiculous / excessive. I find, at least personally, that more does not equal better. The more detail and content you add, the less recognizable it becomes. If someone can't look at your pumpkin, and immediately see what you see, without you having to explain to them whats going on, then your pumpkin has kinda failed.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
My pumpkin last year got carved after the deadline, so I'll just wait and enter that the next time there's a contest.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
@Dessa: Don't you usually have to put some kind of card up in your photo to show that you carved the pumpkin yourself and not just some picture you pulled off the internet? Like "ANN Pumpkin Contest 2011" or something like that? It may mess up your pumpkin entry. Sad
Martel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:

This sounds a bit ridiculous / excessive. I find, at least personally, that more does not equal better. The more detail and content you add, the less recognizable it becomes. If someone can't look at your pumpkin, and immediately see what you see, without you having to explain to them whats going on, then your pumpkin has kinda failed.

It probably is a little ridiculous, but I try to top myself every year. I kind of plateaued a bit after the year I did a great Riff Raff (from Rocky Horror). Thought I'd try a 360 degree design on a huge pumpkin this year, so I've spent a couple hours a week making carving maps of characters around a particular theme. I made nice, clear designs for the individual characters, but I was waffling on how I wanted the layout. At least now I have practically a whole year to make a decision on that... Of course I'll probably leave it to the last minute, but whatever.

I have a Plan B pumpkin ready to go, though, so I'll save the elaborate design for next year when I've got a better idea of what I want to do with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1