• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Manga a Best Seller

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Very cool. It's good to hear that manga's making top seller lists.
luhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame Cartoon Network can't show the anime in prime time hours. I truly believe FMA has the potential to be a hit mainstream franchise. The strong showing for the manga just makes me even surer.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
And yet, according to the Chapters website, not a single Chapters, Indigo, or Coles store in Canada is currently carrying the title.

I'm not happy at all with Simon and Schuster Canada, and apparently neither is Viz.
emory

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
It's a shame Cartoon Network can't show the anime in prime time hours. I truly believe FMA has the potential to be a hit mainstream franchise. The strong showing for the manga just makes me even surer.

Would you rather it be edited for kids? It seems to be doing great on Saturday nights.

Besides, in primetime, everyone's glued to NBC, CBS, FOX, or ABC, and will go into panic mode if cable is on.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
And yet, according to the Chapters website, not a single Chapters, Indigo, or Coles store in Canada is currently carrying the title.

I'm not happy at all with Simon and Schuster Canada, and apparently neither is Viz.

Chapters does have it.

Have you tried buying online for Chapters?
Strategos

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Would you rather it be edited for kids? It seems to be doing great on Saturday nights.

Besides, in primetime, everyone's glued to NBC, CBS, FOX, or ABC, and will go into panic mode if cable is on.

I agree. FMA would be editted beyond recognition at some points during primetime when the little ones are watching. For CN, primetime is 9-13 year olds, and FMA certainly does not fit into that category. It is doing reasonably well on [as], where it belongs.
Demaar

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
emory wrote:

I agree. FMA would be editted beyond recognition at some points during primetime when the little ones are watching. For CN, primetime is 9-13 year olds, and FMA certainly does not fit into that category. It is doing reasonably well on [as], where it belongs.

*shrugs* It was marketed in Japan for that age group to teens. I can't see why western children shouldn't watch as mature stuff as the Japanese do. My friend's 4 year old son eats it up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
RZetlin wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

Chapters does have it.

Have you tried buying online for Chapters?

It's on the website, but if you check their store listings, none of their locations (or at least none of the large number of major stores that I checked) actually have the title in stock, or on order. Basically, Simon and Schuster made no effort to push FMA in Canada, despite the series' obvious popularity.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of sales in the United States came from people who actually bought the book from stores that got over a dozen copies in, rather than those who had to order it in.
luhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:

That was my point. Cartoon Network's policy of only showing
edited kids' versions outside of Adult Swim hours precludes it from being shown at an earlier hour and that's too bad. It's doing okay at 11:30pm, but it's a fact that there are more viewers in prime time.
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well that's good news. I think I'll get it soon. Smile
Serge

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising, Both the Anime and Manga are Both Masterpieces anyway.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
well, no suprise here either. I think Viz did a wonderful job on doing FMA. (couldve done without the sfx edits but meh....and they couldve left the cover black.....the silver is bleh! Thats about all the complaints i have on it)

I didn't buy one personally (i hate being broke....)

I wonder how long till they get to where it is now. I hope not so fast. It takes about 5 months to complete one volume in Japan.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Well deserved, I'd say. The mangaka is really talented, and the artwork is neat and tidy. One thing about the manga that I really like is that in contrast to the anime, the stories are very concise but enjoyable all the same.
emory

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
*shrugs* It was marketed in Japan for that age group to teens. I can't see why western children shouldn't watch as mature stuff as the Japanese do. My friend's 4 year old son eats it up.

That's the way culture works. You can't force a nation to change its attitude towards something because its country of origin reacts in a different fashion. Things don't transition across borders.

luhead wrote:
That was my point. Cartoon Network's policy of only showing edited kids' versions outside of Adult Swim hours precludes it from being shown at an earlier hour and that's too bad. It's doing okay at 11:30pm, but it's a fact that there are more viewers in prime time.

It's not a fact. When you look at Cartoon Network's top program ratings list, you often see shows like Futurama, Family Guy, Aqua Teen, and now Robot Chicken in the top shows list. Maybe Fridays premieres or a Toonami show sprinkled here and there, but viewers are spread out all across the evening and into the night.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

It's on the website, but if you check their store listings, none of their locations (or at least none of the large number of major stores that I checked) actually have the title in stock, or on order. Basically, Simon and Schuster made no effort to push FMA in Canada, despite the series' obvious popularity.

That may have something to do with the fact that Teletoon has no intention of showing the anime. What's the point of pushing a property that is likely never going to be cross-promoted?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2