• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Distant Star's Makoto Shinkai Makes Kotonoha no Niwa Anime Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Oo, another film from Makoto Shinkai. Looking forward to it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Oh great! Yet another "life's-too-short-and-there's-no-happiness" movie! I can't wait. Rolling Eyes
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Its nice to see Shinkai coming out with another film so soon it should at very least be promising.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Its nice to see Shinkai coming out with another film so soon it should at very least be promising.
Oh they're always "promising". Just never delivering.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
With exception to 5 centimeters per second, I haven't been the biggest fan of Shinkai's work considering his movies seem to keep sticking with the whole "long distance relationships suck" theme mixed with some fantasy/ sci-fi element that the movie never has time to fully flesh out. The Place Promised in Our Early Days was perhaps the weakest of his works thanks to how convoluted its story elements were in fleshing out the movie's world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen 5 Centimeters Per Second, and I definitely didn't get the ending I wanted at all - but man was the animation gorgeous. So if nothing else, there's that to look forward to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I am sold already. This sounds like a focused movie, which is what Shinkai can handle best, and I am hopelessly drawn to the hint of a hopeless premise. Glad to hear it will come out soon!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
They always deliver for me. I can't wait. just a little disappointed because I remember him saying last year he was gonna do a Sci-Fi..
Pangea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Oooh this looks very intriguing!
lem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
this is going on the pre-order list, AND hopefully it'll stay off of "the damn this sure feels like they were unwilling to tell you it's okay to do some editing, and there really isn't any need for you to ape Ghibli because your style is fine just as it is" list.

at any rate, I'm still looking forward to seeing more of his work. Who knows, maybe this time around he'll stick with the girl that brought him to the dance in the first place? you know, the one they call short-n-sweet.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I was, and still a bit am, concerned that he's going down the "lonely sadness" route again (even though he always does it so well and differently each time), the way he described the basis of the film's theme on the meaning/linguistics of love really have me excited to see how the film will turn out.

I am, though, surprised that he managed to crank it out in a year's time. I guess he is getting acclimated to studio-style productions pretty well.
Texas84

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Another cry fest? Even this article got me choked up. Lost Voices was a disappointment but it was beautiful. Looking forward to Shinkai-sama getting back to what he does best.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Texas84 wrote:
Another cry fest? Even this article got me choked up. Lost Voices was a disappointment but it was beautiful. Looking forward to Shinkai-sama getting back to what he does best.
Sadly this is the only thing he does best, or rather he's afraid to try something different.

Kougeru wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
They always deliver for me. I can't wait. just a little disappointed because I remember him saying last year he was gonna do a Sci-Fi..
So he always delivers for you, but not this time? I suppose if one thinks about it Voices, and Place Promised, could be considered si-fi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Love Shinkai's stuff. And yeah, this does seem to be a return to his earlier works but that's just fine by me (although I liked Children Who Chase Lost Voices, too).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
With bated breath I await further news. This film's closeness to Shinkai's most recent work leads one to wonder how lengthy a time it has secretly been in development.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2